News article about poor quality of RV manufacturing - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-13-2021, 06:07 PM   #21

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMEd View Post
Buy a 3-5 year old RV.
Let someone else take the first big depreciation hit and deal with all initial defects.
thats assuming they did repair all the issues AND kept up with both RV and vehicle maintenance.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 07:44 AM   #22

Name: Ed
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RT
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
thats assuming they did repair all the issues AND kept up with both RV and vehicle maintenance.
A through inspection and a review of all paperwork is, of course, part of any vehicle transaction.
Any recalls?
IMEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 11:21 AM   #23

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadowlark View Post
If it makes you feel any better, even the gigantic, $750K RV's have...Dometic and Suburban appliances.

Yea but those folks can afford to have them fixed and drink expensive wine. LOL!
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 12:11 PM   #24

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMEd View Post
A through inspection and a review of all paperwork is, of course, part of any vehicle transaction.
Any recalls?
I don't believe 'recalls' apply to the RV industry the way they do to automobiles, other than to the driving chassis of a motorhome.
Old 09-14-2021, 02:07 PM   #25

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
I don't believe 'recalls' apply to the RV industry the way they do to automobiles, other than to the driving chassis of a motorhome.
Back in the day, Trillium had a recall regarding their frame, though it may have been a voluntary recall.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 03:34 PM   #26

Colorado
Quote:
I was thinking of appliances.
Dometic, for example.
Old 09-14-2021, 03:35 PM   #27

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Back in the day, Trillium had a recall regarding their frame, though it may have been a voluntary recall.

So did Escape for a similar issue. Not an official government recall but a manufacturer recall.

The bottom line is, do your homework.
Old 09-14-2021, 07:48 PM   #28

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
and the original authors website no longer exists, sigh...
I think the author didn't make any friends in the RV industry with his article...
There were lots of comments on various RV forums about this article right after it was published.
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 04:14 AM   #29
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
No surprise here. Even fiberglass trailers are made like cars were 100 years ago, by hand. I suspect most of the workers are unskilled and low paid. And the oem components are junk. I always wonder why someone brags about getting every option. More things to fix. And if you can't do it yourself....
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 08:19 AM   #30

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
No surprise here. Even fiberglass trailers are made like cars were 100 years ago, by hand. I suspect most of the workers are unskilled and low paid. And the oem components are junk. I always wonder why someone brags about getting every option. More things to fix. And if you can't do it yourself....
That is how I feel about cars. WAY TOO COMPLEX. When I went to buy my 1997 Ford Ranger, the first thing I said when I saw it was, "Oh, an XLT, I guess it has electric windows." The guy selling it replied, "No, they are manual." In my head, all I could think was SOLD!
Old 09-15-2021, 12:54 PM   #31

Trailer: Scamp 1995 19'
North Carolina
Quote:

Driven by their lawyers no doubt.
Old 09-15-2021, 03:05 PM   #32

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcolby123 View Post
Driven by their lawyers no doubt.
Especially after they had frame failures:
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...tml#post825473

Lawyers hate liability.
Old 09-18-2021, 12:48 AM   #33

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
That is how I feel about cars. WAY TOO COMPLEX. When I went to buy my 1997 Ford Ranger, the first thing I said when I saw it was, "Oh, an XLT, I guess it has electric windows." The guy selling it replied, "No, they are manual." In my head, all I could think was SOLD!
i have a 2016 Mercedes E350, its a freekin datacenter, with dozens and dozezns of computerized subsystems (there's a computer in each door that communicate with the main chassis module to adjust the seats, mirrors, locks), something like 8 or 10 different digital data busses, but it all works very nicely. more power, more road control, more fuel efficiency for the amount of power.

p.s. good luck finding *anything* newer than about 2010 with manual windows, even the cheapest Kia's and Hyundais have them.
Old 09-18-2021, 04:17 AM   #34
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
p.s. good luck finding *anything* newer than about 2010 with manual windows, even the cheapest Kia's and Hyundais have them.
My 2017 Frontier has crank up windows, manual door locks, and mirrors that have to be hand adjusted. But you're correct, they are rare. I could have gotten a manual transmission but only with the 4 cylinder. I wanted the 6.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 10:00 PM   #35

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Sure glad my LIL Snoozy doesn’t have Suburban or Dometic appliances. My 2005 Ranger doesn’t even have damaged door panels. With 170,000 mile I haven’t yet replaced a fan belt.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 10:13 PM   #36

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlsara View Post
Sure glad my LIL Snoozy doesn’t have Suburban or Dometic appliances...
yeah... does it have *any* appliances??
Old 09-23-2021, 07:01 AM   #37

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
yeah... does it have *any* appliances??
Yessir it does. Kenmore 8000 Btu AC on back wall, Truckfridge compressor fridge, Bosch hot water heater. All has been running for seven years without a failure. The AC is a lot quieter than a Dometic.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 08:19 AM   #38

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Wall Street Journal had a great article on Elkhart, IN RV industry a year or two ago. Companies went from annual stay bonuses to monthly bonuses, as no one stayed a year. They stopped all drug testing and used prison labor too. Convicts once released from prison chose to not continue working for them.

When you have both a shortage of employees and a lack of retention of the employees you do have, its time to look in the mirror. "How do we make our jobs more desirable?" Pay can only do so much. Working conditions: temperature, heavy lifting, on your feet for hours a day, working hours, time off, weekends, etc. Companies locate plants based on supply chain (close to suppliers). Savvy, really smart companies locate instead based on access to a good workforce. I managed a factory in NE PA during my working career, best workforce ever! If you can't get employees, being close to suppliers doesn't matter....

Would you buy a new car from a company that built a HUGE warranty repair center at their factory? Makes you wonder about quality. Airstream has such a repair center at their factory.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 12:48 PM   #39

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
America use to build quality products, that was when grandad, dad and then the sons would work for a company until they retired. The company took care of their employees. Now, It seams to me the companies just don't care so the employees don't care also.

I bought a new Vega back in 1973 and it came from the factory with employee damage on it. The union was fighting with GM and the employees inflicted the damage on vehicles. Mw, I was in Germany and picked up the vehicle at the port. It wasn't like I could just go pick out another one. How bad is that, they actually screwed me, not GM.
I had a 73 Vega ( crap car ) then got a 76 Honda Civic. Family outgrew it. GREAT CAR!
Our Police department bought Omega's first front-wheel-drive an American car. It was 1980. You had to turn off the AC to get the brakes to work & in the wintertime, the air scoop would pick up the snow & it would pack around the electric radiator fan & stop it. Then the car would overheat. You would have to use your night stick to knock the frozen snow off. FUN TIMES!
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 12:52 PM   #40

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
My 2017 Frontier has crank up windows, manual door locks, and mirrors that have to be hand adjusted. But you're correct, they are rare. I could have gotten a manual transmission but only with the 4 cylinder. I wanted the 6.
Our grandkids loved my wife's 2005 Honda Civic. ( Still have it.) loved to play with the crank-up windows.
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote