Nice flip - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2011, 11:02 AM   #2

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Did you flip it or someone else?
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:33 PM   #3

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Not me Kevin,
I'm not quite sure how I stand on this from an ethical point of view, but even if I were able to jump the ethical hurdle, I wouldn't be so brazen as to do both sales on the same on line forum much less brag about it over here. That was a long sentence!
Scott H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:49 PM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: gave up!!
California
I saw that thing on craigslist and posted it here.. Then I saw your post about someone reselling it and for whatever reason it made me mad!!! I was hoping someone was going to get a good deal on the little thing and show it some love...
John_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 05:54 AM   #5

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
what was the time frame between sales, any improvements that can be seen?
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:38 AM   #6

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Three days TOPS, I doubt it.
Scott H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:36 AM   #7

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
John, I feel the same way. Was hoping somebody was going to love and enjoy their little gem.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:53 PM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
John, I feel the same way. Was hoping somebody was going to love and enjoy their little gem.
Don't ya think someone could love and enjoy it for $2800?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:21 PM   #9

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Don't ya think someone could love and enjoy it for $2800?
yeah, but at 2,800 it loses that lost puppy dog quality it had going for itself...
Old 08-17-2011, 09:41 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_M View Post
yeah, but at 2,800 it loses that lost puppy dog quality it had going for itself...
I know what you mean..Back about 1985, I allowed my kid to keep a "free" cat, turnout to be $250 for shots, neutering, claw work etc, and that was only the first month or so!
Old 08-18-2011, 05:33 AM   #11

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe 2007 and 40' Allegro Bus
Send a message via AIM to RSchleder Send a message via Yahoo to RSchleder
Some how I'm missing the point here. So someone bought it for a below market price, turned around and sold it for a profit. Exactly what's wrong or unethical about that?? If they misrepresented the trailer, that's a totally different story than simply selling (flipping) it. Come on folks, these trailers are a commodity, not one of our children!
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 06:05 AM   #12
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
If the seller knew the value and just wanted to get it out of their door yard that's one thing but if the buyer took advantage of the sellers ignorance that's where the ethical dilemma occurs. Some would say tough luck. Others would tell the seller they were asking too little. I lean toward the latter. It helps me sleep better. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 06:34 AM   #13

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe 2007 and 40' Allegro Bus
Send a message via AIM to RSchleder Send a message via Yahoo to RSchleder
Raz, I agree that taking advantage of the uninformed is a "slimey" way to do business and would not be my way to deal with buying any item. With that said, the seller does have a responsibility here also. When in this country will we get back to personal responsibility instead of always blaming the "other" person or party for what happens to us. If the seller sold this item for $2k less that market value, shame on them. Why the heck should anyone blame the buyer unless they held a gun to the sellers head?
I'm selling my Allegro Bus for a list price of $135k and believe me, I've had a ton of "low ball" offers and they have all been rejected. If I'd have sold it to one of them, should I blame them for my error/ignorance???
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:58 AM   #14

Registry
If the first seller had paid a fair price when buying, wouldn't he have some idea of it's value?
Old 08-18-2011, 10:35 AM   #15

Trailer: LittleGuy Classic Teardrop ('Baby Osmo') (Previously 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe)
From an ethical perspective, I think it is the seller's job to decide what to sell it for. If they are asking $2000 below market value, that is up to them. Would it be nice for me to point it out to them? Absolutely. Is it my obligation to do so? I don't think so. Personally, I would be inclined to ask them, "why so cheap?" But, I don't think it would make me a low-life if I didn't. That said, if they are already that far below market value, and I try to whittle them down further, I'd have a problem with that.

Additionally, you can usually get some idea of the seller's aptitude during the inspection. If I sense that "they don't know what they have here", I would, at that point, feel a moral obligation to protect them from their own lack of knowledge. That's me, and that's how I would appreciate being treated.
Mr. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:37 AM   #16

Name: Meghan
Trailer: Play Pac
New York
Registry
I don't get what is going on here either. But, I bought my all original play pac in very good condition for $375. I wanted it before I knew what it was worth and found out how much it was worth before the transaction was done ( a few days / week later). The seller had it for sale in her driveway for $600 for a few weeks. Was I wrong to buy it without saying anything????
Meghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:52 AM   #17

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
I never try to change the sellers price, up or down.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:55 AM   #18

California
No Meghan, you weren't wrong at all. I just think that some folks are taking this thread a little too seriously is all...
Old 08-18-2011, 02:34 PM   #19

Name: Tom
Trailer: none
Minnesota
Registry
people FLIP house, cars, real estate ect all the time........as a buyer can you say and be justified by asking " what did you pay for it" then offer whatever you want below or above that price. Guess you could, or ask why such a low price, then offer a price 2x the asking price because you think its worth that!! I personally would take the low price and run with it.....the only reason this is even a topic is it was listed in same listing service and got caught.........just my opinion
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:18 PM   #20

Name: Meghan
Trailer: Play Pac
New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H
I never try to change the sellers price, up or down.
Greg, if I am willing and able to pay what they are asking I do. Otherwise I have no problem saying " this is what I can afford, is this price an option for you?" . some people aren't out to make money all the time and are happy to sell it for whatever they think is acceptable to them. I buy alot on Craigslist eBay and flea markets. Some people just want to pass something on rather than junk it and make a little cash, some people feel there stuff is worth more than buying it new. I think whatever people mutually agree upon is fine no matter ( sorry Greg didn't mean this entire post to be directed solely at you )
Meghan is offline   Reply With Quote