Nimble has died. 2017, 2018 SAFE campers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-21-2018, 10:21 AM   #1

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Nimble has died. 2017, 2018 SAFE campers

Hi.

You all may remember our little pugs. Nimble was having a bad time at the 2018 SAFE. We knew she was close to the end.

After a fast trip without the girls to mid-Oregon for a funeral, we picked her up at our friend's house Saturday AM.

She slept like a snoring little log all afternoon, ate a good dinner, slept until bedtime, finished more dinner and had one more outside walk around the house. I petted & kissed her head good-night, as usual.

This morning about 5 Paul found her no longer snoring.

He wrapped her up in a cotton towel and she’s awaiting burial while Paul is at the infusion center at Valley. I think we’ll put her near where her daddy is buried.

I’m OK with it; she made it to nearly 17 and that’s not bad. I think she was happy up to the end.

I’m glad we got her home before the end, and I think she was glad to be back, too. I shed a tear, but it’s all right.

She lived long enough to have had several good camping trips in Peanut and to get home again, and that's about as good as it gets.

BEST
Kathleen
Old 10-21-2018, 10:28 AM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: Scamp 16
Pennsylvania
Very sorry, Nimble gave all that he had. Carl
Carlcivi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 11:11 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Sorry for your pet loss Kathleen and Paul. Sounds like Nimble had a great pug life!

Peace and hugs.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 11:35 AM   #4

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Sorry for you both. I know she enjoyed a great life with you. Take care.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 11:50 AM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Kai an Paul,

There are very few things that add more to our lives than dogs do. And few things harder to bear than losing one. So sorry for your loss.
Old 10-21-2018, 04:15 PM   #6
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I'm sitting on the couch with my best buddy. They come into our lives, give us so much, and leave too soon. Very sorry. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:00 AM   #7

Registry
Thanks, all. I was glad she had a last camping trip at the SAFE; glad we got back from a funeral in Oregon in time to give her a last day at home. She was once the feistiest little spitfire of a pug; we had to give her special training so she wouldn't attack every dog she saw, including ours.

Thanks again. I know she liked meeting everyone at the 2017 and 2018 SAFEs.

BEST
Kathleen
"K"
Old 10-22-2018, 10:04 AM   #8

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I'm so sorry, Paul and Kathleen. I just lost Jack (my Pem, the old guy not in a cart) too. Even expected it is never easy.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:11 AM   #9

Registry
Hi, Bobby, I think we had a chance to pet Jack at Maryhill two years ago; I know we've seen him. I'm sorry he's gone. You're right, even expected it's not easy.

BEST
Kathleen
"K"
Old 10-22-2018, 10:17 AM   #10

Name: Dan and Liz
Trailer: LilSnoozy on order
Vermont
Sorry for your loss. Our pug, Frank, died earlier this summer. Those little pugs really are big dogs trapped in a small dog's body. I'm sure your memories make you smile.

Dan and Liz
Dan and Liz in VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:23 AM   #11

Registry
Dan and Liz: pugs often do think they are more all that than their size justifies. Our remaining girl, Cinder(ella) however is fairly shy for a pug; she seems to know she's edible. Nim was always the apex predator (a little legend in her own mind).

Cinder is consequently much easier to travel with than Nimble. At the Lynden Mt. Baker Vintage Trailer Rally two years ago, I thought Nimble was going to knock her x-pen right over, she was so intent on attacking a passing dog, "How dare you walk past! Do you want a piece of this?"

Cinder was busy backpedaling away from the walls of Jericho. "It's not me! It's not me!"

In checking Nim's age exactly for the little memorial marker Paul put on her grave, I realized anew that Cinder is not yet eleven. No wonder she's in better condition than Nim. And here I thought she was 14 or 15. How time flies when you're planning camping trips, going on camping trips, cleaning up after camping trips, and planning more camping trips.

BEST
Kathleen
"K"
Old 10-22-2018, 11:01 AM   #12

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Sorry to hear Nimble has moved on. Her job was done and she felt you were able to take care of yourselves now. After all those years she deserves a rest. I have a whole pack of dogs up there waiting for me. If she needs a few friends up there, have her look up the Bazinet clan of dogs, the goofiest 6 pack of hounds you ever did see. All friendly, some lovable and some not so lovable but all up for a cookie.

Best wishes for your family.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 12:35 PM   #13

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Deluxe B19 19 ft / 2007 Nissan Frontier V6 NISMO 4x4
Condolences, Kathleen. Sounds like Nimble lived a long and happy life with your family!
V'sGlassSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 02:33 PM   #14

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 13 ft and 2003 Bigfoot 17 ft (15B17CB)
We add our condolences Kathleen,
To get the joy and pleasure from our cats and dogs we have to accept some pain.
Tony and Darlene
Tony Nowak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 03:36 PM   #15

Name: MURRAY
Trailer: Ventura
British Columbia (BC)
You gave each other a better life.
All things do come to pass.
My thoughts are with you both.
Murray
MurrayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 06:18 PM   #16

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
... pugs often do think they are more all that than their size justifies. ... Nim was always the apex predator (a little legend in her own mind). ...
Isn't it funny how the traits that try us are also some of our fondest memories.... speaking of funny.. (warning: four letter word contained herein):

gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:20 PM   #17

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
Sure sorry to hear about the loss of your little pug Nimble.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:01 PM   #18

Name: Evelyn
Oregon Coast
[QUOTE=gordon2;721627]Isn't it funny how the traits that try us are also some of our fondest memories.... speaking of funny..
QUOTE]

I'm sure everyone who has had a dog like this in their life is laughing the hardest! I know I was. (It may be easier to laugh when you DON'T have a dog like this in your life anymore!)

Losing our sweet fur babies "comes with the territory," my Dad used to say. That may be true, but it never made me feel any better! Only time does that. In the meantime, we are blessed with the memories they so considerately left behind with us.

Yes, there's heartache, but I doubt any of us would have it any other way.
Ev in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:53 PM   #19
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
You have my heartfelt sympathy, Kathleen. Cherish good memories.

Peace.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 12:04 AM   #20

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Dog's abilities to naturally do things we can immediately relate to, their unquestioning love and devotion, along with the comedy they bring everyday, and the way they live in-the-moment, is just wonderful. The overwhelming greetings they give, the peace they demonstrate while simply being at our sides, the alarm they feel at any possible intrusion into their peaceful home, all demonstrate the importance they feel, of their being a pack member with us. Then there are some hard wired behaviors that we catch a glimpse of now and then. Carry overs from the wild times before domestication. Fascinating too, as we see a more primal side of our little friends and realize there is more to them than we see on the surface.

I've had a number of dogs over the years. Aside from a Dalmatian and Japanese Akita, they have all been mixes I've found at various places, with the exception of our wild coyote that came straight out of the high desert mountains of Nevada. I admired them all and sought their trust. I wanted them to accompany me in my travels. Be by my side. I talked to them and worked with them. I have made a long term study of how they think and operate. They are endlessly fascinating. Predictable and mysterious. Great companions. As I write this, our little Rat Terrier mix, Gogo, is sleeping by my side. She is probably the best overall companion we've ever had. I've never gotten over how they can be gone in an instant. They take their own transition very matter-of-factly and differently than we take ours.

Funny how they can be such simple, warm companions, and at the same time powerful teachers and examples. Animals with a wild side just barely out of view. All while making us laugh.

Losing them is very painful, but demonstrates how wonderful they were. I can't do it very well, but I try to take a page out of their book as to how they handle a similar loss. They obviously feel the pain, but they continue to be who they are and keep going.