No A/C ... Deal breaker? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2015, 11:43 PM   #1

Name: Warren
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
No A/C ... Deal breaker?

I know the obvious answer is, it depends on where you camp, but I'm just wondering if people wish they got it, or have it and seldom use it. The trailer I'm looking at has no AC but does have fantastic fans.
Thanks all!
popcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 12:13 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I don't have AC would never use it if I did. In the past almost 10 years that I've had my Scamp out of well over 1000 nights maybe 10 were where they was electricity hook ups. The last two years with over 300 nights zero were with electricity. I don't think an air conditioner would do me much good. I don't even have AC in anchored house.
Old 08-01-2015, 02:24 AM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
It all depends on where you plan to camp Warren. Everyone's ideas are different but I wouldn't have a rig without it. In over thirty years I doubt I've used the AC more than 50 times but having it available if I wanted it is priceless. I live in the desert and the power goes out when the wind blows big time. At 95* at night the Honda 2000 will run the roof air on the Casita for over 8 hours and just about froze us out. I look at the trailer as an escape for problems with life. YMMV
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 02:26 AM   #4

Name: Warren
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
That's kind of what I thought. Might not use it much, but when you need it, you REALLY need it.
popcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 06:41 AM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
To me, it would really depend on what kind of deal I could get without the A/C in combination of the temps when I normally camp. Some people add a window AC if they need one but I wouldn't do that to a newer unit but wouldn't hesitate with an older one that I considered a "deal".

I think resale might be a little more difficult but price point can mean a lot to people.

Unless traveling on the road, if it is really hot, I don't want to camp and have to stay inside anyway. I can stay inside in the A/C at home.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 07:19 AM   #6

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Resale Value??? Maybe so, maybe not so....

"Except in very high heat/humidity areas"

When selling a FGRV there is usually an abundance of buyers and eliminating the few that have to have an a/c won't put you out of business.

We sold both of out 13'ers in SoCal without a/c's. I do remember a few buyers that lost interest because they didn't read the ads that said NO A/C, but there were still more than enough buyers to sell at a premium price.

Again, it's all about ones needs and camping style.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 07:23 AM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Someone else just asked the very same question earlier this week… It generated a lot of discussion, which you can read here: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ust-70763.html. The "vote" was pretty evenly divided, so there's no clear consensus on this one. It depends on where you camp, both in a geographical/climate sense and in terms of the types of camping spots you prefer (i.e., dry camping versus full-hook-ups), how much you travel and when, along with your personal tolerance for some level of discomfort.

The biggest thing to be aware of is that adding AC to a trailer not designed for it can be difficult. Roof AC requires that the roof be designed or reinforced to carry the weight, and that's hit-or-miss with fiberglass trailers, especially older ones. Permanent installation of a window-type AC is tricky to get right, and it's not something a typical RV shop will do. Other alternatives are mentioned in the linked thread, and they vary in effectiveness, convenience, and degree-of-difficulty. My impression, though, is that if it promises to be easy and cheap, it is unlikely to be effective.

If you tell us more about the trailer you're looking at, someone will likely know if AC is an easy add later or not.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 07:48 AM   #8

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
I have only used mine a few times, mostly to make sure it still works. I do use the heat feature more often but if the AC died, I would replace it with a MaxxAir fan and a small portable heater.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 08:03 AM   #9

Name: Rich & Linda
Trailer: Amerigo
Indiana
Thumbs up ac or heat

OK it depend on where you camp in the south you do not need heat . In the north you do not need air, But if you travel you need both .
MRClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 08:39 AM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Well said "Santa"

I'm in the south and wouldnt even go to LOOK at an RV without A/C. Walking out at night the past few weeks here in Tennessee feels like you're walking into a steam bath. I cant sleep that way; especially after being use to working in an air conditioned office all day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRClaus View Post
OK it depend on where you camp in the south you do not need heat . In the north you do not need air, But if you travel you need both .
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 08:57 AM   #11

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
Most of the time we don't need either A/C or heat. On the other hand, when we camp at the extremes we definitely enjoy the heat when cold, and the A/C when hot and humid. Having both increases your ability to camp where you want and when you want.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 08:58 AM   #12

Arizona
Registry
Very true. Even the north can experience heat waves and the south can experience cold snaps. The more extensively you travel, the more likely you'll have to endure some unseasonal weather.

That said, though, the OP is from BC. My general impression is that lots of folks in that area do manage without AC.

We camped with my Mom near Phoenix back in February, when the weather there should have been quite temperate. We happened to arrive during an unusual warm spell. Mom used her AC because she had it. We made do because we didn't. Low humidity, common in many parts of the West, meant nights were cool enough to sleep well.

I grew up in the mid-Atlantic region where Mom still lives, so AC is a given for her. We did survive many nights traveling all over the country in a tent trailer without AC back in the 60's and 70's, but times and expectations have changed. Neither our car nor our house had AC back then, either.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:17 AM   #13

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
When I was growing up in Illinois where the humidity and heat are awful, I spent 18 whole summers without AC. When my dad grew up he spent 10 whole summers without electricity.

Times sure have changed ! I often wonder what it would be like to have lived in the Southwest in the summer 100 or more years ago.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 09:25 AM   #14

Arizona
Registry
They built with very thick adobe walls and floors of packed earth, stone, or concrete. During the hottest part of the summer days, they would wet the whole floor down for natural evaporative cooling. Doors and windows were oriented to prevailing winds. In the absence of the modern "heat island" effect, nights were cooler, even in the summer. They were probably more comfortable than your father.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:26 AM   #15

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
When I was growing up in Illinois where the humidity and heat are awful, I spent 18 whole summers without AC. When my dad grew up he spent 10 whole summers without electricity.

Times sure have changed ! I often wonder what it would be like to have lived in the Southwest in the summer 100 or more years ago.
People were shorter back then, so they weren't as close to the sun as they are these days. Can you imagine having a fiberglass camper back in those days, wonder how much "horse"-power you would need to pull it?
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 09:31 AM   #16

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
For myself air is a must, the Okanagan is where I spend most of my time and its far to hot to not have air conditioning.

I did buy and add air conditioning, just weight the cost of adding if you feel the need.
At home in Vancouver I don't need it.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 09:35 AM   #17

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
There are so many threads that ask basically the same question, i.e., "should we get a/c", "what about resale value", etc.

Personally I wouldn't worry about things like resale. I'd simply ask if it's needed where and when you intend to camp.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 08-01-2015, 10:14 AM   #18

Name: Joe
Trailer: 1973 13' Boler
Ontario
I installed a mobile ac/heat/dehumidifier unit in my closet that I picked up off kijiji for 60$. Works like a charm.
Keaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 12:24 PM   #19

Name: Charles
Trailer: Scamp 16
Ohio
AC

I spend little time in the camper except to sleep and to get out of the rain. There have been times however that it has come in very handy. If you are out alone or even with a group of people and you or someone else doesn't feel well you can just go in, get cool and maybe get a cold drink and get some relief from the heat. Sometimes in a hot and muggy downpour you can chill out and wait the storm out in comfort. Two weeks ago I was going through The DC beltway in 98 deg heat in bumper to bumper traffic. I pulled off in the rest area, fired up the generator (tongue mounted), Had some lunch and stayed nice and cool while the traffic cleared out. Seldom do I use it, but when I need it it's there.
cmartin748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 12:26 PM   #20

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Trying to convince myself when its 90 deg that I don't need A/C doesn't work for me.
Trying to convince myself that saving money on a campsite without electricity on a 90 deg
day doesn't work for me either, If going camping means I have to be miserable, then I would rather stay home. If I wanted to camp without A/C , I would still be camping in a tent .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote