No longer able to unlock Mapping software - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-27-2010, 09:10 PM   #1

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Trillium Outback
Registry
No longer able to unlock Mapping software

Short version. I bought MapSend Direct Route v.3 in January 2007 for $149.95. As part of every installation or re-installation on a computer you have to connect to www dot magellangps dot com and either purchase a license (Map comes on the CD with a GPS device but is not included in purchase price of GPS unit) or enter an unlock code that came with the software when you bought the map separately. Magellan has removed the unlocking software from their server. They can not unlock the map software and will not replace the software with anything else.

The License allows loading the software on multiple computers but will only work with one GPS device.

I have a perfectly working eXplorist 600 GPS but can't reload the mapping software on my computer after a hard drive crash. This is important because the 600 can not work with the full US map. You have to select 3 or 4 states and whatever details you want and save that to a separate file, upload to the 600 and then you can use that piece of map software.

Magellan's offer is to give me a $170.00 credit towards the purchase of one of their new Explorist 510, 610, or 710. I would have to pay another $170.00, $270.00, or $370.00. These devices are stuck with the maps they come with. No updates or alternative maps available.

I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER MAGELLAN PRODUCT AND I WANT TO DISCOURAGE EVERYONE FROM BUYING THEIR PRODUCTS.

PS: There are other issues with Magellan going back to the introduction of the eXplorist units.
1998 K2500 Chevy Silverado 6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4X4, ext cab, short bed
Curtis F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:32 PM   #2

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
WOW!!

Now there's a real eye opener.

I/'Santa' just brought (bought) us a new Nuvi for Christmas, I'm now wonder what issues we will discover upon opening the device Dec 25th???

Maybe its a good thing theres a 30 day no hastle return policy with ours!!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:13 AM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
My Nuvi says Garmin.

Bill K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Mager View Post
WOW!!

Now there's a real eye opener.

I/'Santa' just brought (bought) us a new Nuvi for Christmas, I'm now wonder what issues we will discover upon opening the device Dec 25th???

Maybe its a good thing theres a 30 day no hastle return policy with ours!!
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:50 AM   #4

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
I believe Garmin makes Nuvi (among other models....)
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:28 AM   #5

Name: M
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Michigan
We have a Garmin Nuvi and really like it. No need to load software from your computer.

Garmin does have a program to manage way points and the like. One weird thing, for the Nuvi you have to buy the software disk if you want the full map to appear on your PC. You upload way points without it, but not all of the roads will be on the PC program. We don't use the PC with the Nuvi much so it is not a significant thing.

We have two other Garmin GPS units and when we purchased mapping software for them the disk was included. Go figure.
zephyr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:57 PM   #6

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Trillium Outback
Registry
Thanks, I've looked at all the other available gps devices. The Garmin Numi 550 would be my choice for a replacement unit at this time. It has maps for road, walking, and boating. Unfortunately, none of it's maps are great. You know the story; jack of all trades, but master of none.

I'm going to continue to use my eXplorist 600 with the maps I have loaded to it. I've got the roads loaded but none of the Points of Interest that are included in the map software. No campgrounds, gas stations, restaurants, hotels, trails, etc. All of which is available when running the map software on a PC. Adding those to the files for the 600 makes the file larger and reduces the area that can be included.

Will probably switch to MS Streets and Trips for POIs on the computer.

I am still angry that I paid $150.00 for software they won't unlock 4 years later. I'm not done spreading the news of my displeasure.
1998 K2500 Chevy Silverado 6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4X4, ext cab, short bed
Curtis F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 01:42 PM   #7

Trailer: 1980 Burro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis F. View Post
I am still angry that I paid $150.00 for software they won't unlock 4 years later. I'm not done spreading the news of my displeasure.
I am not a lawyer but it sounds to me like they are breaching a contract. If they sold you a device and software that requires ongoing service from them and that service has been discontinued, then it would be reasonable for you to expect a full refund for the device and software. There may be information included either with the gps or the software that spells out their responsibilities.

If it was me, I would keep bugging them, by phone, email and snail mail until it was resolved. Tell them how you are going to go to every gps discussion group you can find and tell the story of how they support their products. They will look at the business case and decide they will have more lost sales than it would cost to make you happy.

You convinced me, I will not buy anything from them.
Andy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:12 AM   #8

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Escape
Registry
That's lousy, Curtis.

I bought a Nuvi this summer, but it will be my last dedicated GPS unit. The Google navigation available on Android smartphones is amazing. Downside is that you need a data connection while travelling because it downloads maps as you go. My hope is to get a seven-inch tablet like the Samsung Galaxy Tab or the new tablet that Dell has been promising. It would be ideal. If you don't want to pay for the data connection on the road, you can still get good GPS software and maps for Android devices - but it won't be as slick as Google's product.

Ron
Ron Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:03 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I have had many different GPS devices over a 12 to 13 year span. Magellan the first 5 or 6 units. I ran into almost the same problem with one that corrupted and they wanted almost the cost of a new unit to fix. It wasn't a difficult fix, they just wouldn't send the files needed to reinstall. I went to Delorme from there. Currently satisfied with 2 Delorme hand held GPS receivers. Topo maps were included and they are easy to use and update. I added a Garmin Nuvi 265WT to the collection for traveling. It worked great until time to update maps and points of interest. After a couple days and a few emails I got on the phone with tech services and the second person couldn't get to work either, she used my computer remotely. A new unit is on the way. It should be here Saturday or Monday.

My experiences vs use vs expectations.
As an avid geocacher a good GPS is important. Magellan -- Early units were state of art. Out performed most Garmins and others. Of the last 2 Magellan's one worked pretty good, the last one left a lot to be desired.
Garmin -- From my observations of fellow geocachers were a close second until about 5 years ago. Then they overtook Magellan and I would consider them at or near the top.
Delorme --- Has the advantage of the mapping software created first and one of the best, then the GPS receivers were added to the line utilizing there mapping software. That swayed me in that direction for hand held geocaching/hiking GPS.

I settled on Garmin for driving mostly because of the screen size and the large number of POIs (points of interest). Mostly I wanted to know how far it was to the next gas station no matter what part of North America I was driving in. It also serves as my Bluetooth hands free device.

Hope this help somebody.