No more epic RV trips..... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2020, 10:45 PM   #1

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
No more epic RV trips.....

I’ve been everywhere. Well all 48 of the CONUS.
I count all that I have driven in non-commercially.
Next year a week in South Dakota.
Attached Thumbnails
MAPTEST2.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 06:30 AM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
1. There is Alaska. Even with the border "closed", last I have read, you can travel through Canada to go to Alaska and return. Just no sight seeing in Canada. Traveled to Alaska five times. Still have stuff to see next time! People who have been fined or arrested have abused the privilege by visiting known Canadian tourist sites.

2. Once the border opens, all of Canada is at your doorstep. Awesome camping in Canada.

3. Return to your favorite spots, and spend more time at those locations. We have been to Yellowstone many times. Our last visit was a week. We saw more this time than all of our prior visits combined.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 07:39 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
I'm on my 3rd time around. While I hit Hawaii & Alaska on the first time around, Alaska on the second, I'll probably skip Hawaii on the third. I'm up to 34 states on the third "epic", so don't stop now!
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 07:50 AM   #4

Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Exactly. While my family collected all 48 before I turned 18, we barely scratched the surface of things to see and do in each state.

Set some goals based on your hobbies and interests- hiking, cycling, music, art, food, architecture, military history- whatever gets you excited. By focusing on specific activities you’ll keep it fresh and avoid falling into the rut of “gotta see“ tourist destinations on your second, third... or tenth epic journey.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 09:07 AM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
1. There is Alaska. Even with the border "closed", last I have read, you can travel through Canada to go to Alaska and return. Just no sight seeing in Canada.
Well they seem to get held up around Banff for some reason?
Least that's what I've read.
Fred
Old 09-29-2020, 09:14 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
The incident was not Americans on their way to Alaska, but ones that stopped & broke the rules. https://unofficialnetworks.com/2020/...banff-gondola/
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 09:40 AM   #7

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
We met a couple on the road, car pulling an Airstream Bambi. The guy was a retired managing editor for a Yatching magazine, if I recall correctly. He stated he had been through every COUNTY in the US at least one time. Every county. That is serious RVin'!
Old 09-29-2020, 09:55 AM   #8

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRED SMAILES View Post
Well they seem to get held up around Banff for some reason?
Least that's what I've read.
Fred
Its because they refused to do what is required: move in a direct line towards the border, and no stops at tourist sites. Canada is crystal clear about the requirements. Those that ignore the rules deserve to be held responsible.

Canada has tightened up the rules no doubt in response to US citizens abusing the privilege.

Since my current Canadian travel interests are focused on Canadian tourist sites, I am out of luck.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 11:55 AM   #9

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Yeah. Unfortunately even as a Canadian (dual) citizen I can't visit family these days.

Walt
Old 09-29-2020, 01:15 PM   #10

Trailer: Boler
Registry
Speaking for most Canadians we are looking forward to seeing our American neighbors up here next summer and I personally am looking forward to a southern trip next fall.
Doug Arthurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 08:40 PM   #11

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Arthurs View Post
Speaking for most Canadians we are looking forward to seeing our American neighbors up here next summer and I personally am looking forward to a southern trip next fall.
I hear ya! Living 10 miles from the US border we crossed alot sometimes just for a drive, shopping or meeting gearheads of which I'm one at a car show. We have also spent months in southern climes in the winter,,, not this year.
US northerners will have lots of room to spread out this winter as they travel south and we sit looking out the window at the snow,,,
Fred
Old 09-29-2020, 10:15 PM   #12

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
I’ve been everywhere. Well all 48 of the CONUS.
I count all that I have driven in non-commercially.
Next year a week in South Dakota.
Until you see Alaska you haven't seen anything. We've traveled to most states and to Alaska 2 times driving and once on a 2 week cruise with stops in all the cities we could go to. Getting to Alaska through Canada is the best part. So wait until you can stop in Canada anywhere you want to on your way to Alaska. It's to long of a drive to not stop. We took 80 days to get to, see and get back from Alaska. All the lower states put together can't equal going to Alaska.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 10:21 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
[QUOTE=Jann Todd;794987]Getting to Alaska through Canada is the best part.QUOTE]

Happy to be on the way, not in the way.
Old 09-30-2020, 02:27 AM   #14

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Been to both Alaska and Canada. Alaska was OK but Canada was much more scenic and beautiful. To really see AK air travel is a must.
Old 09-30-2020, 08:52 AM   #15

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
In 20 years ...

We've been to all the states and provinces in our RVs over the last 20 years. When we began we expected to take 3 years to see it all now recognizing we won't live long enough to see everything. I'm losing count but I think we've made 8 loops of the USA, 10 trips to Newfoundland and 11 trips to Oregon's Port Orford.

We began by traveling to all the headline places and they were mostly great but subsequently learned and found previously unknown places to be just as outstanding. This summer we've had time to muse about places we've been, since we've been relatively confined, and it's surprising how many of the fondest memories are to those unknown places.

Next year it's my intent to return to Newfoundland for an extended stay, possibly even returning via Labrador. In Newfoundland we have driven virtually every numbered road and typically their entire length. There is a real measure of peace in driving these mostly rural paths, escaping the loud world that surrounds us most of the time. Loudness can take many forms from the media, to the demands of family, to the simple busy-ness of a stationary life.

One beauty of Newfoundland is there's virtually no TV when we travel there, (we don't even bring a TV), we typically don't listen to the radio, few people seem to call us, probably because our friends and family are older and calling so far away is not normal (not to mention they never figure out the Newfie time zone). We normally have books and most importantly each other. It's still fun to learn from each other and discovering together.

The day we end traveling will have some sadness tied to it, though we hope to keep going for 7 more years until we're 85.

Our RV's will be really old then 36 and 34 years old. It's funny I have a 93 year old neighbor couple, they have been married 73 years. He's from Michigan and spends the winter in our Florida RV Park. We typically have park wide coffees at our site twice a week and he and his wife come most dates. He begin's the visit by reminding me that he has his checkbook with him to buy our 1991 Scamp 16. I guess the desire to travel may never die in some.

Safe travels

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 10:33 AM   #16

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Norm and Ginny
Good to hear from you two. We haven't met but I do follow and enjoy your posts. I almost made it on your Newfie trip a couple of years ago, but life got in the way, again. Although I did spend time there about 20 years ago, I would have enjoyed and benefitted from your extensive knowledge of it.
Compared to you I'm a relative newbie at the RV game, having started in 2008 after many years of backpacking and tent camping. But at 85 I've yet to slow down, putting around 10K miles/yr on the egg.
Still hope to run into you at some point.

Walt
Old 09-30-2020, 11:17 AM   #17

Name: Don
Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
California
Before I retired, co-workers would ask what we'd do, and my answer was to see what there was between the Pacific Ocean and the eastern base of the Rockies front range (104°W± Long.), and then add in a trip or two further east. We're 5 years in, and the % of what we've seen is going down, because we find soooo much to explore wherever we go. Then, there's the history of each region; wow!
RLTW - LRRA2015
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 11:22 AM   #18

Name: P
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Arthurs View Post
I live 40 miles south of the border. I had planned to do some bike riding on the Kettle River Trail, but that ain't happening. So, I watch youtube videos by Slim Potatohead. Sigh.
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 02:14 PM   #19

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Todays "Epic" trip!!!

Hi: All... It seems a trip to the Food Mar T is an epic trip. Can't even elbow your way thru the crowd. Gotta keep your distance and wear a mask. Folks can't even see you smile at them!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 10:09 PM   #20

Name: Jann
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
Been to both Alaska and Canada. Alaska was OK but Canada was much more scenic and beautiful. To really see AK air travel is a must.
We spent a lot of time in Alaska and it was so awesome. We didn't do any flying but driving to see the sights and hiking around is great and it gives you time to really look at the beauty. Yes Canada is probably more scenic and we spent a lot of time there also. Water travel is also great in Alaska. We took a lot of boat rides.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote