no stove? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2013, 07:13 PM   #21

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Keep in mind that most Federal and many, many state parks don't have power hook ups. Unless you are planning on spending every night in a RV Resort or can plan far enought ahead to always have hook ups, going all electric can limit your use, especially in cool to cold weather.

IMHO: An FGRV without LP gas is very limiting in use, as well as having reduced resale appeal.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:36 PM   #22

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Bob raises a good point. The cost of going electric only would be quite a bit higher.

Not only would boondocking (especially in colder weather) not work, but the majority of federal/state/provincial campsites do not have electrical hookups, and if they do the numbers are limited. These government type campgrounds have rates way better than most RV resorts. Plus, in campgrounds that do have both serviced and non-serviced sites, the latter is usually somewhat cheaper.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:22 AM   #23

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Another point about propane inside the trailer. Just because you have it doesn't mean you have to use it. If you prefer 120v appliances, put a cover over the stove and use that as additional counter space for your cooking appliances.

It still gets down to your camping style and where you plan to camp. I live in a state with wonderful state and county parks. As a single, older female traveler I'm always hookedup and love my 120v appliances! YMMV
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:45 AM   #24

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Keep in mind that most Federal and many, many state parks don't have power hook ups. Unless you are planning on spending every night in a RV Resort or can plan far enought ahead to always have hook ups, going all electric can limit your use, especially in cool to cold weather.
In the South ALL state parks have electric hook-ups
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 08:18 AM   #25

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
--------------------------------------------

Well Ya.... But that's due to the need for air conditioning to sustain life and protect you from the skeeters.

I used to live in a southern state (VA) and life was three seasons, ice, rain and torrid heat. One year it snowed on Monday and was 95 degrees and 95% humidity by Friday. The 3 days in between were called "Spring" for that year. Another year it rained 26 weekends in a row.

They don't call tent camping in the summer "sauna camping" for nothing

And being outside in July & August? Fergetit...

But, then again, I enjoy the outside experience, silly me.....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:04 AM   #26

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
As a single, older female traveler I'm always hooked up......
You go, girl!
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:32 AM   #27

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
Wow, I expected someone to have pointed out an exception to this overly generalized statement by now.

More accurately, I should say that all of the state parks that we have camped at or investigated camping at, in the states of Florida, Alabama, South Carolina, or Mississippi have had electric hook-ups.

And yes, it's because these states are HOT in the summer, and, I suspect, they value the tourist dollars that campers bring in with them.

Oh, by the way, it never reached 100 degrees in Pensacola this summer; in fact I don't remember it ever reaching 95, but it might have, I just don't remember. Living close to the coast moderates the temperature and makes it a lot more comfortable than the inland areas.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:46 PM   #28

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Something from column E (12Volt) and something from column P means flexibility. Propane means relative self-sufficiency. All electric means no electric sometimes and a likely retrofit to the belt and suspenders approach. With that said, I luv our new AC/DC only fridge but the conundrum of battery weight and recharging is not to be taken lightly haha.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:11 PM   #29

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
as others have mentioned NuWave has some efficient products. In our full-time-rig (38ft fiver) we use the NuWave programmable induction plate with our SS/ceramic coated cookware. We've not turned on the built in propane stove in ages except to fire it up seasonally just to keep the pipes going.

We also take the NW unit along with us during winter camping at state parks with the Parkliner to extend our camping to year round... knowing we will have AC power for a portable ceramic heater, laptop, etc. (Once we are beyond winter months we are back to dry camping off grid and no electric appliances).
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:45 PM   #30

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
One of the biggest difference for us cooking while camping, as compared to home, is that we have no 120V electricity for the majority of our nights out, and this is reflected in how we cook, .
For those who camp primarily in Provincial Parks here in BC they also dont have power at most sites so going with an all electric trailer is much like camping in a tent.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:02 PM   #31

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
In SK most Provincial and National Parks have both electrical and unserviced campsites. Some Parks have entire campgrounds that are unserviced (we LOVE then as they are quieter and often include a smallish lake). Electrical sites cost more per night, of course, and sometimes we pay and sometimes go basic,

The decisions around what you want and don't want when camping are very individual. We chose fairly basic and no water tank, If someone else wants everything and a kitchen sink that is fine for them. Some take a tv and we don't bother with one even at home!
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote