NOMADLAND the movie - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-27-2022, 06:24 PM   #1

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
NOMADLAND the movie

My LONG review:

I have not heard the movie “NOMADLAND” mentioned for a while, so I will. Although the movie is now a couple of years old and the book it’s based on is much older, it is worth watching. It and Covid pushed a lot of people into the RV life that were not ready for it. In the book it was the economy that did the pushing. When I hit the road, it is because I had planned to be on the road. Fern was pushed onto the road by the economy.
Lurking here and following the problems of others will help you get ready for the RV lifestyle, so will watching Nomadland. You will need to learn some troubleshooting skills, electrical, plumbing, maybe even how to plug a tire. The people around you (if there are any) may be your life saver, or you theirs. Maybe you should rent one for a week before buying. I friend bought one last year, went out ONE time and now wants to sell.
My biggest breakdown ever was in Chamberlain, South Dakota. I made it to the rest area, but they did not allow overnight parking. I called my home Ford dealer, and they called the Local Ford dealer who sent a flatbed for my truck, gave me a ride to town and loaned me a car. It is important to maintain a good relationship with your home dealer. Now the no overnight parking problem. I went into the rest area/visitors center and explained my problem and they were totally understanding. The biggest problems ever have been health. Food poisoning at a restaurant in South Dakota, and respiratory distress in the wildfires out west, a big thank you to the Cody WY Walmart for letting me stay for a few hours of fresh breathable air. There have been problems, but I survived, and I’ll be back on the road again this year. (I spend winters hibernating in my late parents’ double wide trailer in northwestern Wisconsin.)
Now less rambling and back to Nomadland, it is especially worthwhile for people that think RVing is for them but have no experience. Plan ahead, but do not plan forever, start putting some money away now so you do not need to go deep in debit. Be informed don’t jump into the wrong deal, know what you are getting into because fair deals on used fiberglass RVs do not last.
My family homesteaded in South Dakota, so the parts of the movie filmed there were very special to me. I try to get there every year. I have slept in my car, tents, in the back of my pickup and multiple RVs. But last year was the first time that I stayed in the bad lands. Picture is the campground at interior, South Dakota (just 2 miles southwest of the one Fern was at in the movie). I hope to “see you down the road” (or at the Scamp homecoming).
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4683interior.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 01:45 AM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: I started with a 2010 Casita Spirit Deluxe.I now have a 2015, Dynamax DX3-37RV Super-C diesel puller
Box Elder, SD (formerly of Long Island, NY)
I haven't read the book but did see and enjoy the movie. I was born and raised in NY but, after I retired, I chose SD as my domicile. TX & FL are the other two states popular as domiciles for RVers. I understand that TN & NV are working to get a piece of the "retirees domicile" pie. The movie, clearly shows so many residents being left "hanging out to dry" and towns / cities dying as more and more jobs are sent "offshore". More communities and people are facing a similar fate. Jobs MUST be brought back home. Because SO many who could vote don't bother to, the business fat cats have have been able to buy and control politicians who pass laws that are highly UNFAVORABLE to low and mid-level workers. I fear that things will get MUCH worse before we have any real hope of them getting better.
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 04:15 AM   #3

Name: Ric
Trailer: currently shopping
Tennessee
"TN Retirees Domicile Pie"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy View Post
I haven't read the book but did see and enjoy the movie. I was born and raised in NY but, after I retired, I chose SD as my domicile. TX & FL are the other two states popular as domiciles for RVers. I understand that TN & NV are working to get a piece of the "retirees domicile" pie. The movie, clearly shows so many residents being left "hanging out to dry" and towns / cities dying as more and more jobs are sent "offshore". More communities and people are facing a similar fate. Jobs MUST be brought back home. Because SO many who could vote don't bother to, the business fat cats have have been able to buy and control politicians who pass laws that are highly UNFAVORABLE to low and mid-level workers. I fear that things will get MUCH worse before we have any real hope of them getting better.

Hi,

I'm intrigued by your statement about TN "working to get a piece of the retirees domicile pie."

I'm getting ready to retire, get a rig, etc. and have been researching the domicile thing. I've read about TX, FL, SD being good places to do that.
I live in TN, and have never heard our state is working to become domicile friendly. I'd love to know what you've heard about that.

Thanks,
Ric
Ric G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 09:05 AM   #4

Trailer: I started with a 2010 Casita Spirit Deluxe.I now have a 2015, Dynamax DX3-37RV Super-C diesel puller
"I'd love to know what you've heard about that."

Sure. WHERE a person chooses to domicile is a very personal choice. It's important that people perform their "due diligence" so that they understand the benefits and can accept the negatives. As for ACTUALLY CHOOSING TN as a domicile, I don't have specifics (since I chose SD as my domicile). LOTS of factors to consider, some may be CRITICAL. As always, the devil is in the details. Getting mail is, for many people a big issue. Licensing (Driver's, Vehicle Registration & Inspection also big issues). INSURANCE, Banking, Credit Cards, Voting, Last Will & Testament are just some of the questions you'll need to answer. In our new hyper security conscious mode, make SURE you comply with WHATEVER Federal regulations / conditions that may apply (NOT all address are treated the same by the Feds). You might want to check with the Escapees RV Club. I believe that one of their staff lawyers is very knowledgeable re "domicile". If you're NOT a member of the Escapees RV Club, I would STRONGLY recommend that you join. Escapees forums have TONS of information about just about every facet of RVing and run GREAT rallies (if you do join, mention #108629 as the referring member; I 'll get some brownie points). This IS an involved and confusing aspect of RVing. Do you homework so that you get it right the first time.

Maybe a DECADE ago, I read in some online RV e-zine that NV & TN were pursuing RVers to relocate in those states. FL, TX & SD have, for years, had the lion's share of RVers (especially retired RVers) as official residents. Although the sales tax is almost 10% in TN, things like RV registration fees are minimal (a friend with a HUGE fiver tells me he pays ~ $50/year to register his monster!). Fuel taxes seem to be low to moderate (other nearby states that used to have low fuel taxes have raised them in the last five years or so). When Covid first went crazy, friends invited me to join them at a KOA in TN. My base rate has been $450/month + metered electric. Included in that $450, I have water / sewer / basic cable TV and reasonable WiFi. In the summer running two AC units and two ceramic heaters in the winter, my metered electric runs about $150. I could NOT live in the fully paid for house I owned on Long Island, NY for that money (it actually cost me OVER $1500/MONTH to be in the house I owned outright on LI). It would be nice if TN followed VA and dropped the sales tax on groceries but, I doubt that will happen anytime soon. TN is one of nine states that have NO personal income tax so, a retiree on a fixed income has one less hand in his pocket. The other states I mentioned (FL, NV, SD and TX) also do not tax personal income. You didn't say WHERE you were considering relocating to. I try to avoid weather extremes. NO SD in the winter (but BEAUTIFUL from May ~ September). NO FL, NV or TX June ~ Sept. The mountains of TN seem to be a good blend of weather without the crazy extremes. In these "times of Covid" I would like to see more people in TN USE PPE. I AM fully vaccinated and boosted and DO wear a mask when I go out. One reason Covid seems to "linger" is that SO many people think it doesn't matter if they do NOT exercise care and take simple precautions (it DOES matter).

A quick check with "Siri" tells me that TN DOES collect 7% STATEWIDE sales tax on vehicles PLUS an additional "Local Sales Tax" of over 2% so, if you were to buy an expensive RV in TN, plan on almost 10% extra (although it would be a "one time" event). When I bought my RV, SD charged 4% Sales Tax.
Old 02-28-2022, 09:48 AM   #5

Name: Ric
Trailer: currently shopping
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy View Post
"I'd love to know what you've heard about that."

Sure. WHERE a person chooses to domicile is a very personal choice. It's important that people perform their "due diligence" so that they understand the benefits and can accept the negatives. As for ACTUALLY CHOOSING TN as a domicile, I don't have specifics (since I chose SD as my domicile). LOTS of factors to consider, some may be CRITICAL. As always, the devil is in the details. Getting mail is, for many people a big issue. Licensing (Driver's, Vehicle Registration & Inspection also big issues). INSURANCE, Banking, Credit Cards, Voting, Last Will & Testament are just some of the questions you'll need to answer. In our new hyper security conscious mode, make SURE you comply with WHATEVER Federal regulations / conditions that may apply (NOT all address are treated the same by the Feds). You might want to check with the Escapees RV Club. I believe that one of their staff lawyers is very knowledgeable re "domicile". If you're NOT a member of the Escapees RV Club, I would STRONGLY recommend that you join. Escapees forums have TONS of information about just about every facet of RVing and run GREAT rallies (if you do join, mention #108629 as the referring member; I 'll get some brownie points). This IS an involved and confusing aspect of RVing. Do you homework so that you get it right the first time.

Maybe a DECADE ago, I read in some online RV e-zine that NV & TN were pursuing RVers to relocate in those states. FL, TX & SD have, for years, had the lion's share of RVers (especially retired RVers) as official residents. Although the sales tax is almost 10% in TN, things like RV registration fees are minimal (a friend with a HUGE fiver tells me he pays ~ $50/year to register his monster!). Fuel taxes seem to be low to moderate (other nearby states that used to have low fuel taxes have raised them in the last five years or so). When Covid first went crazy, friends invited me to join them at a KOA in TN. My base rate has been $450/month + metered electric. Included in that $450, I have water / sewer / basic cable TV and reasonable WiFi. In the summer running two AC units and two ceramic heaters in the winter, my metered electric runs about $150. I could NOT live in the fully paid for house I owned on Long Island, NY for that money (it actually cost me OVER $1500/MONTH to be in the house I owned outright on LI). It would be nice if TN followed VA and dropped the sales tax on groceries but, I doubt that will happen anytime soon. TN is one of nine states that have NO personal income tax so, a retiree on a fixed income has one less hand in his pocket. The other states I mentioned (FL, NV, SD and TX) also do not tax personal income. You didn't say WHERE you were considering relocating to. I try to avoid weather extremes. NO SD in the winter (but BEAUTIFUL from May ~ September). NO FL, NV or TX June ~ Sept. The mountains of TN seem to be a good blend of weather without the crazy extremes. In these "times of Covid" I would like to see more people in TN USE PPE. I AM fully vaccinated and boosted and DO wear a mask when I go out. One reason Covid seems to "linger" is that SO many people think it doesn't matter if they do NOT exercise care and take simple precautions (it DOES matter).

A quick check with "Siri" tells me that TN DOES collect 7% STATEWIDE sales tax on vehicles PLUS an additional "Local Sales Tax" of over 2% so, if you were to buy an expensive RV in TN, plan on almost 10% extra (although it would be a "one time" event). When I bought my RV, SD charged 4% Sales Tax.

Thanks for responding. As mentioned in my post, I currently live in TN, so I already know about the positive things you mentioned. That's one of the reasons I've lived here over 25 years.

My actual question was about your statement claiming that TN is "working to get a piece of the retirees domicile pie". I haven't heard
any politician, political group, consumer group etc. doing anything to make TN domicile friendly for RV'ers such as SD and Texas. And I wanted to know what you meant by your statement in relationship to that subject.

I would LOVE to keep my residency in TN. It would be so much easier for me in reference to keeping my current insurance, vehicle registration, doctors, etc, etc. However, based on my research, it will be easier for me long term to establish and maintain "residency" in Texas or SD, as opposed to TN when I retire and leave my sticks and bricks.
Ric G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 10:08 AM   #6

You can have as MANY RESIDENCES in as many states as you can afford. You may have ONLY ONE domicile. Your domicile is where you register to vote and, conduct most of your financial business. I did mention that it was about a DECADE ago when I read about NV & TN wanting a "piece of the action" re RVers (especially RETIRED RVers). Perhaps the political climate has changed over the last 10 years. In general, retirees use less "services" than "youngsters" require / demand. If you're generally happy in TN, I don't know why you'd need a "residence" in another state (you RV is mobile, just drive there). For some time, BIG BUCK$ RVs & other $$$vehicles were being "wooed" by MT. MI attorney Steve Lehto explained how he (and other states) viewed this as a tax dodge scam and recommends against it. Before I left NY, my neighbor took in my mail and, after our Friday afternoon phone call, she could forward anything critical to wherever I happened to be. I hope this helps.
Old 03-05-2022, 01:53 PM   #7

Name: Teresa
Trailer: Trek
Kentucky
Registry
I watched that movie and really had to work on not being horribly depressed.
Some people thought it was a celebration and uplifting. I didn’t see that very much. It seemed to me a story about a woman and her struggle to just maintain and survive in life.
It’s not how I wanted to think of travel.
Mayb after watching that I knew I didn’t want that lifestyle and like my tiny home only for leisure. People with different views are what make the world interesting…
TeresaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 06:46 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
My wife and I also thought it was a very depressing movie. Didn't show anything good about being on the road or the camping life. Different views I guess.
J. Sully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 07:13 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I saw Nomadland and didn't view it as what full-timing was all about. Yes, for some. But they're houseless. Totally different than those that are retired and choose to live on the road. We have assets to sustain a quality of life as we wish. Boondocking on BLM and at the Slabs isn't necessary and neither is looking for seasonal jobs.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 05:00 AM   #10

Name: Mike
Trailer: None currently
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I saw Nomadland and didn't view it as what full-timing was all about. Yes, for some. But they're houseless. Totally different than those that are retired and choose to live on the road. We have assets to sustain a quality of life as we wish. Boondocking on BLM and at the Slabs isn't necessary and neither is looking for seasonal jobs.

This. There is a difference between living on the road and having to live on the road. I would love to be able to do the former. Nomadland is about the latter, which is a situation I hope to never have to be in.

I thought it was a good movie. It is based on real people with a couple actors playing themselves.

-Mike
FloridaNativeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 09:51 AM   #11

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
Ohio
The movie highlights a very real sub class of people who have moved into the later stages of life with no or little assets. A growing number in our unequal society. Those is us on these forums are fortunate to be in circumstances that allow the luxury of camping. A far cry from living out of your car. The death of pensions and low wages are a prime factor in this. I have a few friends I grew up with in these kinds of situations.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 10:01 AM   #12

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
I read the book before seeing the movie and there's quite a bit of difference between the the two. The book is a non-fiction account of a writer following various "nomads" around the country. The movie is mostly about one of the characters. For me, the biggest difference was that in the book, the female character wants to get off the road and appears to succeed at the end. The movie is about someone who wants to keep traveling but then, that's Hollywood.
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 10:49 AM   #13

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
The book shows a side of RV life that many of us never see. While I have met "nomads", including some in the book, it is a way of life I hope to never live. I have yet to see the movie, but the book is well worth a read.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 10:56 AM   #14

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Free movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
The book shows a side of RV life that many of us never see. While I have met "nomads", including some in the book, it is a way of life I hope to never live. I have yet to see the movie, but the book is well worth a read.
The last time I looked jexmovie.com had Nomadland. Note that the site has a bad reputation but the only trouble I've had is streaming problems. Any one else use the site?
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 11:20 AM   #15

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaT View Post
I watched that movie and really had to work on not being horribly depressed.
Some people thought it was a celebration and uplifting. I didn’t see that very much. It seemed to me a story about a woman and her struggle to just maintain and survive in life.
It’s not how I wanted to think of travel.
Mayb after watching that I knew I didn’t want that lifestyle and like my tiny home only for leisure. People with different views are what make the world interesting…

This is why I haven't watched it. I've lost some good friends in the last year and it has not been a good time to watch depressing movies. I might read the book.

There are so many youtube channels about how cheery "van life" and traveling full time is. I just think of the winters I spent living in a small travel trailer, with hookups because there was nowhere else affordable to live where I had finally landed a full time job. Winter was miserable. I realize these people head south, but it still gets cold at night. I had frost on the walls and had to keep a hairdryer handy so I could open the door in the morning. It would freeze shut. It was miserable.

It's an experience I don't want to do again, and I was in a full time RV park.
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 12:54 AM   #16

Name: CalCop
Trailer: Casita
California
I agree the movie was depressing. The idea of finding yourself alone and unemployed with no savings or pension is horrible. I think she found a way of surviving and came to accept the lifestyle. I wonder how many nomads are actually happy in their situation.
CalCop is offline   Reply With Quote