Non Self-Contained rigs on BLM Long Term Visitor Area - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-10-2015, 11:28 AM   #21

Name: Brent
Trailer: Casita
California
My experience in cal is if they require "self contained" the want a real plumbing system, I have been turned away with a van that didn't have a on board holding tank
Brentsdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 11:41 AM   #22

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentsdeal View Post
My experience in cal is if they require "self contained" the want a real plumbing system, I have been turned away with a van that didn't have a on board holding tank
At what Park(s) Campground(s)? State, Federal, Local, Regional, Private?

At Silver Strand State Beach they required "Self Contained", but will accept a Porta Potty and a external, closed circuit, gray water holding tank.
While most RV's were behemoth class "A's", there were several smaller trailers, including several pop-up tent trailers, that all had porta-potties and external gray water tanks.

BTW: After set-up they come by and inspect for compliance.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 12:30 PM   #23

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
We've already been informed by a member of a local travel club we used to belong to that our 1973 amerigo will NOT be allowed anywhere NICE trailers are allowed because it's too old and will bring down the tone of the whole place and will "cost them stars."

Frankly, I think that was rather nasty, and don't want to camp at any campground that wants to be so high-falutin'

I always find the egg rigs to be a huge attraction for me...not a deterrent! Obviously.
Kai in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 12:38 PM   #24

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I have direct experience with this. I lived in La Posa south near Quartzsite for a season in my 15 foot Kit Companion sticky.

The requirements posted here are exactly as what was on my permit. The Kit had no holding tanks, black or gray. I used a blue boy. Now, I never told them it didn't, and they never asked. I was parked in "the general area" of a porta potti station, but would say I was a good 1/4 mile + from it...stretching the bounds of the 500 foot rule. I could see the porta pottis from my rig, but didn't consider myself near them.

They do have people that come round and make sure you are not dumping, or in general making a mess of things by storing garbage, junk etc on your site. Since just about everyone in a long term situation uses some sort of portable tank, I don't think they were the wiser and I was left alone. The Sticky rig looked like it *should* have a tank, and I just don't think they bothered to look close enough, or they saw how clean etc I was and they blew it off. I was there 7 months and not a peep was heard from the "authorities".

I saw many tents camped near the porta potties. Long term. (Brutal in the winds out there, but hey..they were doing what they could) I never saw tents anywhere else.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 12:47 PM   #25

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Hmmmm... I've been to a lot of sites in the western states and I have never seen a "Dump Ring" in a site. I have seen gravel backfilled graywater dumping locations, usually near or at a water faucet, but never in a site.
I was afraid I might get in trouble for my ambiguous wording there. You're right, the dump ring part of my comment referred to the Ohio site only.
Sorry.

Walt
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 01:28 PM   #26

Name: Linda
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 16 ft, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Minnesota
I need to know what they think of my composting toilet?
dvrcdlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 02:05 PM   #27

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Trailer Snobs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
We've already been informed by a member of a local travel club we used to belong to that our 1973 amerigo will NOT be allowed anywhere NICE trailers are allowed because it's too old and will bring down the tone of the whole place and will "cost them stars."

Frankly, I think that was rather nasty, and don't want to camp at any campground that wants to be so high-falutin'

I always find the egg rigs to be a huge attraction for me...not a deterrent! Obviously.
There's an easy fix for Ageism should you run into it, either on purpose, or by accident.

Simply precede the name of your trailer with "It's a 2012 Retro Look XXX", so now you have a 2012, Retro Look, Amerigo..... Retro is very in....

But as Groucho Marx once stated (paraphrased I'm sure)... "I wouldn't want to be a member of any organization that would allow someone like me to be a member".

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 03:19 PM   #28

Name: Rich & Linda
Trailer: Amerigo
Indiana
Thumbs up i like that retro

Quote:
There's an easy fix for Ageism should you run into it, either on purpose, or by accident.

Simply precede the name of your trailer with "It's a 2012 Retro Look XXX", so now you have a 2012, Retro Look, Amerigo..... Retro is very in....

But as Groucho Marx once stated (paraphrased I'm sure)... "I wouldn't want to be a member of any organization that would allow someone like me to be a member".
retro I'm a 1953 retro get new parts lol
MRClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 05:21 PM   #29

Name: Bill
Trailer: Escape
Tennessee
Quote:
Hmmmm... I've been to a lot of sites in the western states and I have never seen a "Dump Ring" in a site. I have seen gravel backfilled graywater dumping locations, usually near or at a water faucet, but never in a site.
At La Pine State Park, near La Pine, OR, I camped in the area with electric and water hookups, and they had a dump ring in each site. It was a metal ring about 18" in diameter with a wire mesh on top of the opening.
Old 12-11-2015, 05:55 PM   #30

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwdornbush View Post
At La Pine State Park, near La Pine, OR, I camped in the area with electric and water hookups, and they had a dump ring in each site. It was a metal ring about 18" in diameter with a wire mesh on top of the opening.
La Pine State Park sounds like a place we might well like to go visit in Oregon. La Pine, ahh, La Pine. Yup. Sounds pretty.

Was it nice?
Old 12-11-2015, 07:21 PM   #31

Name: Bill
Trailer: Escape
Tennessee
La Pine is very nice. It is along the Deschutes River. We had a site that backed up to the river and we had fun walking along the river. There is lots to do in the area especially in the Newberry National Volcanic Monument. And Bend if you like the scene there.
Old 12-11-2015, 07:24 PM   #32

Name: Stan
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull #63
Virginia
[QUOTE

Simply precede the name of your trailer with "It's a 2012 Retro Look XXX", so now you have a 2012, Retro Look, Amerigo..... Retro is very in".[/QUOTE]

So, now I can say I am a 1944 Retdo Look Person. Maybe cuter them, but better looking now.

Stan
Stan and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 07:54 PM   #33

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan and Carol View Post
So, now I can say I am a 1944 Retdo Look Person. Maybe cuter them, but better looking now.
Stan
Huh. I'd need to hear Carol's opinion of that before I'd take your
word for it.

Walt
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 12:39 PM   #34

Registry
Ageism--yes...I'm a 2015, 1953 retro-look model myself...the trailer, I'll use whatever year we get her actually rolling--let's say 2016 to be positive...This is a 2016, 1973 retro-look amerigo FG-16 with porta-potti and inboard closed gray water tank system, all-electric, with two pug powered security systems 24/7.

Yeah, that sounds pretty good!

That's the plan so far.
Old 12-12-2015, 12:43 PM   #35

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
What is BLM? I am sure I was told before, but forget what the acronym stands for.
Every time this thread comes up (and very enjoyable and interesting it is, too), it still seems like BLM is--well--perhaps if we've been reading too much news lately? So I'm going to make a little sticky note and put it up for a while--

Bureau of Land Management! Dang it! Bureau of Land Management!