Non-Travel Uses for an Egg Trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-19-2021, 07:32 AM   #1

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Non-Travel Uses for an Egg Trailer

This popped up in my news feed, and I clicked because I could see a molded trailer in the photo, which turned out to be a nicely renovated Perris Pacer.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other...way/ss-AARXJ6k

We've had this conversation before, but not since the pandemic. The article brought up one new COVID-related use for ours: a private place to have that Zoom meeting. Over the years we have done several of the things the author mentions.

How do you use your molded trailer when you're not traveling? Any new uses you discovered during the pandemic?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 12:17 PM   #2

Trailer: Casita 16 ft
Other uses for the trailer

My son used it when he tested positive for COVID and was supposed to isolate for 2 weeks.

Whenever I was in the doghouse I could go to it for peace and quiet. Then she turned off the wireless router. I was forced to come back in and "communicate".

When power goes out in the summertime, the generator could run the trailer AC but not the house AC, so slept in the Casita.

The first Casita I bought was used as the grandchildren's playhouse. Fortunately no toys down the toilet.

A radio station in Fairfield, TX used a Casita 13' for their remote broadcasts.
Friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 01:32 PM   #3

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
When a son's house was undergoing extensive repairs, he and wife and four kids moved in with us for a winter. I used our quiet Casita for post-lunch naps, with a small electric heater. Worked fine, except we then discovered we were growing a lot of mold on the surfaces. Apparently my breathing humidified the enclosed air to the point where mold spores liked it. You need air flow, even in winter!

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 02:55 PM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: I started with a 2010 Casita Spirit Deluxe.I now have a 2015, Dynamax DX3-37RV Super-C diesel puller
Box Elder, SD (formerly of Long Island, NY)
A "rolling chicken coop" for your "egg"?
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 03:46 PM   #5

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
My daughter, her husband, and their two-year-old boy sold their 2000sf home to build on their land in the country where they let me store the Casita. While they are building, they are staying at her father-law’s 1200sf home because he travels for his job and said they’d have the place to themselves. He was so excited to see them on his weekends off that he quit his job and got a local one.
My daughter is now working and spending a lot of time in my Casita. The other day she asked if I could bring the generator. 😂
Ruth C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 04:40 PM   #6

Name: Peg
Trailer: 2016 -13' Scamp
Massachusetts
I've used mine for a guest bedroom, a winter "storage shed" for camping gear, and a storeroom for hundreds of board games that a local charity sells as a fundraiser. Free storage during the off-season sure beats renting a storage unit!
herons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 05:49 AM   #7

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Taking donations out to Pine Ridge Reservation when we volunteered there. When unpacked, we would stay in the camper during the week we were volunteering.

CindyL
Attached Thumbnails
Unload donations.jpg   donations.jpg  

Old 12-20-2021, 09:44 AM   #8

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
Years ago I found a Boler 13 in a guys backyard in a small town of Rockfort Bridge. I am pretty sure that it was being used as a chicken coop. Sadly, years later the house burnt down and took the lives of 5 people including 3 children. Before they went through the roof as far as pricing went, quite a few fiberglass trailers were outfitted with a hole or 2 in the floor and used for ice fishing . There have been a few surprised new owners that have found the holes while redoing their trailer.

We do use our Casita as a storage for some of the camping gear during the winter months.
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 10:52 AM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Ours was my home office when an intern took over our guest room/home office. It continued to serve that function occasionally until we moved it off-site.

We now have it stored in the garage of our mountain cabin. We are slowly working through renovations in preparation for retirement, and it’s sleeping space while the bedrooms are torn up.

During wildfire season, it’s our evacuation pod.

Eventually I plan to build a carport in the side yard where it can be a guest house when kids and grandkids visit, since the cabin is really small.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 02:27 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
The HC1 was built intentionally for multi use , not camping pull out the modular interior and use it to haul furniture or whatever fits through the rear hatch , many owners are duel use owners camping part time and using it as a commercial business selling a multitude of products and many owners especially now with COVID have removed their interiors and put in office furniture for mini portable offices, endless uses may even try a hot tub in one
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 10:59 AM   #11

Name: Heather
Trailer: Trail Mite
Michigan
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
Years ago I found a Boler 13 in a guys backyard in a small town of Rockfort Bridge. I am pretty sure that it was being used as a chicken coop. Sadly, years later the house burnt down and took the lives of 5 people including 3 children. Before they went through the roof as far as pricing went, quite a few fiberglass trailers were outfitted with a hole or 2 in the floor and used for ice fishing . There have been a few surprised new owners that have found the holes while redoing their trailer.

We do use our Casita as a storage for some of the camping gear during the winter months.
OMG!! I have a hole, round, about the size of a small plate!!!
Mitten Mitsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 11:02 AM   #12

Name: Heather
Trailer: Trail Mite
Michigan
Registry
My PLAN, once most of the interior is put back in place, is to use it as a she shed in between camping excursions. Lights, heat, a fridge, a table... girl time!!
Mitten Mitsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 11:30 AM   #13

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitten Mitsie View Post
A fiberglass trailer in Michigan, you are all set for ice fishing, just grab an ice auger and a pole and away you go! Don't forget the propane and light the furnace!
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 01:16 PM   #14

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
our son stayed with us for the first part of 2020, and we put him in the trailer... he'd taken a job in late 2019 in the UK, and had just started, Oxford and the rest of the uK went into total shutdown, and all his research work (he's a Geologist) in the middle east was cancelled for the year, so he caught a plane back here, so we used the Casita as his quarentine room. a few months later, he moved 'back' to Reno, so he could do field research there and stay busy until they insisted he fly back to the UK this year.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 11:07 AM   #15

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friz View Post
When power goes out in the summertime, the generator could run the trailer AC but not the house AC, so slept in the Casita.

I had to do that for several days. The generator would run the frig and the camper but not the house so lived in a 16 foot scamp with me my friend and her daughter. It was interesting
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 11:08 AM   #16

Indiana
I have some friends who put camper hook ups where they park theirs during a remodel. It didn't cost them much and now they have a guest house.
Old 12-26-2021, 12:54 AM   #17

Trailer: Casita 13 ft
Casita is a great practice room!

For a while I had two Casitas. The 13 footer made a great music practice room. The carpeted walls were perfect for controlling because they let you hear the true sound of your instrument without the sound bouncing off of hard surfaces.

The 16 footer is my every-night bedroom. I prefer to sleep in my Casita instead of my house because it brings back so many great memories of beautiful places that I have camped. When I go to bed each night, my imagination allows me to choose whether I am in the mountains, or beside a lake, or any of the wonderful places my Casita has allowed me to visit.

I just keep the house to store junk. My life is in my Casita!
Yvimij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 08:27 AM   #18

Indiana
My 16 foot scamp also has been a video studio.

I use it pretty regularly as an office or to go on a site for a few days and work and sleep in it. A couple places I work have accommodations available, but the scamp is a lot better. I also have gotten some contracts on the basis of "no you don't have to rent a hotel room for me, All I need is three parking spots near electricity. Having water handy to the parking spots would be helpful."

Yeah I leave an empty spot next to the door, frequently have the canopy out and sit under it to work. Then I park on the other side of the empty spot.
Old 12-26-2021, 08:19 PM   #19

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Bait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitten Mitsie View Post
Get some Spikes or waxies, an inexpensive Schooley ice rod and get out there. It would be a nice perch for perch.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 11:53 PM   #20

Name: Gigi
Trailer: 1972 Lovebug 1970 Eriba Puck 1991 Mallard Sprinter Class C
Minnesota & Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Get some Spikes or waxies, an inexpensive Schooley ice rod and get out there. It would be a nice perch for perch.
Iowa Dave
LOL! Too funny!

I have seen our little campers on the lake. They are the perfect IceHouse!

Pictures, please?
Artist Chic is offline   Reply With Quote