Noob Asks: What's the Downside to This? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-04-2011, 09:24 AM   #1

Name: m
Trailer: in the market
California
Noob Asks: What's the Downside to This?

Total noob here. I just discovered this category of "eggs" as you refer to them. WOW - seems like a dream come true. A lightweight RV I Can tow with a Camry V6? Enough room for two and a tiny dog? (Hopefully) easy to set up? Ok, what's the downside to this? What am I missing? Is fiberglass less safe, or more maintenance, or gets blown over in the wind, or too cold in the spring, or too hot in the summer or what?

Why would anyone by those "other kind" of trailers when these exist?
redwoodguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:31 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi "m" glad you found FiberglassRV. I'll leave the Camry towing question to others more in the know.

The downside (if you call it that), is typically you will get a smaller trailer for the same money compared to a stick built trailer.... we call them stickies, they have framed walls and panels of some manner screwed into the frame. Molded trailers, if maintained, last years and years and seem to have fewer maintenance issues than the stickies. Resale value is high on maintained molded fiberglass trailers. There are also far, far fewer manufacturers of these eggs. You can find a stick built trailer for sale everywhere. Eggs are much harder to come by, even used. Eggs are sold direct through the manufacturers, not a dealer network (with the exception of Bigfoot). You can buy new eggs in 13'-20 foot 5th wheel size, used up to 25' (Bigfoot).

Enjoy reading all FiberglassRV has to offer and ask questions, we're glad to help.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 10:10 AM   #3

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Hi "m" glad you found FiberglassRV. I'll leave the Camry towing question to others more in the know.

The downside (if you call it that), is typically you will get a smaller trailer for the same money compared to a stick built trailer....
Well, thank you Donna D! So, basically it is the premium price that is the downside. I did notice that I had a hard time finding any used ones for sale. I can well imagine then that the "hunt" for these is a major effort for people wanting to get started.

I generally can't afford to buy new of anything (well, maybe socks), so it will have to be a used one for me. I have feeling there is lots of driving in my future!

Again, thank you.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:32 AM   #4

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: redwoodguy...My brother bought a Boler 3000Km's away. While he was gone to pick it up...we fell into a 4yr. newer Boler 60 K's away. Sought, bought( dep.+ cash on pickup) added a hitch next day and day after brought her home. We paid more for a 29yr. old Boler than it sold for new...but... $3100. for a campin condition trailer that our Ford(1250# tow cap.) could haul.
Sold 2yrs. later to upsize, including mods& sods... for near double. Where's the down side??? It's a fatal attraction, incurable disease, of the worst kind!!! BTW fiberglass years seem to be like dog years...
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 10:44 AM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer05.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	37541
BEFORE I found this website I had a 1971 Compact Jr. that I towed with a 1991 Toyota Camry LE/V6 Station Wagon. It's owners manual stated a 1000 pound towing limit. The info I had on my Compact Jr. said it weighed "900 pounds". In like Flynn, right?

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html
Check out the 1st 2 entries in the link above. The very lightest trailer had been gutted out and remodeled to be as minimal as possible, using the lightest materials possible. Only shelving, no enclosed cabinetry. No refrigerator, no air conditioner, it was basically a hard sided tent. OVER 1000 POUNDS.

And my 1st rig? I found out (too late) that it tipped the scales at 1400 pounds. Was towing Southbound on I-405 near Long Beach, CA on a Labor day Weekend Sunday afternoon when the Camry's Crankshaft Bearing seized. Had to call for a flatbed truck with a trailer hitch to haul the rig 100 miles home to San Diego. Took 6 hours. Had to junk the car.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:59 AM   #6

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Downside reminder - they are hard to come by and if you find one you are considering, don't wait long or someone else will buy it.

Another downside - you get stopped a lot to answer a lot of questions from people who are curious or envious. On the other hand, that is an upside. You find lots of like-minded friends. We had the nicest time a few weeks ago, visiting with a couple who owned a Casita and were camping in the same campground as we were. We had a nice/brief visit with a couple driving a Scamp yesterday - both of us stopped in the same gas station on Highway 30 in Indiana returning home from trips.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:04 AM   #7

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Act FAST, they sell quick when under $2000.00
Fiberglass trailers seem to last forever.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:24 AM   #8

California
My 2006 Camry book says it will tow #2,000. I dunno, that sounded reasonably safe to me for one of these eggs. I DEFINITELY will not be interested if I have to own some big truck or another. The attraction I had was being in a comfy car for tooling around once camped.

Back in my youth, people used to tow 32-foot trailers with a Mercury sedan. Wha' happened? ("The Long, Long, Trailer" with Ricky and Lucy).

I think my budget will be about $8k. I am a bit fussy about such things and do not like to do lots of work repairing old stuff. I am not the "car restorer" kind of guy. More like the guy who buys what the car restorer did when he wants to sell.

Haven't looked a a single one yet in person, so I have no idea what I am in for. Does $8K sound reasonable for a working clean unit? I'd like a 16' I think.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:29 AM   #9

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Head for one of the rallies and check out the ones that are there. Check the rally forum.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:33 AM   #10

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwoodguy View Post
I DEFINITELY will not be interested if I have to own some big truck or another. The attraction I had was being in a comfy car for tooling around once camped.

Back in my youth, people used to tow 32-foot trailers with a Mercury sedan. Wha' happened? ("The Long, Long, Trailer" with Ricky and Lucy).
The oil crisis happened. Back in my youth a Mercury sedan was a honking big car that seated 6 in 2 rows of bench seats.
I have friends who own a 1967 Mercury Monterrey Convertible. It's a Ford truck under it's car body. It gets 9 mpg.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:37 AM   #11

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All...With a '67 Mercury two could camp in the trunk... with a release cable in there just in case!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:52 AM   #12

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Redwoodguy, To answer your question about a down side? Honestly the downside would be different for everybody. Just a fact we all have different camping ideas as to what makes our camping trips comfortable.

So someone who camps in a big bus, would most likely have a lot of downsides with our "eggs", someone who camps in the deep back woods more than likely wouldn't care to take an "egg" off roading. But for those of us who love our "eggs" we don't have a lot of downsides. As DonnaD mentioned size is a factor, but if you can hang with that then more than likely you will enjoy the egg. CindyL brought up the fact that lot's of lookie lou's will chase you down. It's true, but frankly fun to meet nice people. Alf, suggested the addiction, it's true! We get addicted to them, we (owners) are drawn to other little egg's as well. But again that is a fun downside. The downside of price can be an issue. But with your budget you should be able to find the perfect "egg" for you guys.

Big Downside is your tow cap, But it can be worked out if your purchase within your cap.

Quote:
redwoodguy, Back in my youth, people used to tow 32-foot trailers with a Mercury sedan. Wha' happened? ("The Long, Long, Trailer" with Ricky and Lucy).
Ummm, those Mercury's still can, But lets be honest. Your Camry isn't a Mercury! The Mercury weights more than your Camry. Meaning it's in charge of what it's towing, the wheel base on a Mercury gives it far more control over the tow than your Camry. Car's now days are made for fuel economy (lighter), the big sedans of our childhood were not. So they did and could pull the beastly stickies of the day......... Again, you can find an ''egg" that will fit your Camary's towing cap, but realize it won't have all the bells and whistles (which add weight). Good Luck, with your search! It's fun to search for them.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:11 PM   #13

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
If your camry is rated to tow 2000, you should be ok with one of the basic 13footers which weigh between 1200 and 1500lbs, PLUS what you load into them. So you're better to give yourself some wiggle room on tow weights. The more extras that a trailer has (wood interior, air conditioner, refridgerator, etc) the more it will weigh.
And your tow rating of 2000lbs might be based upon the trailer having brakes on it - you should verify that. Welcome, and have fun on your search!! As already stated, it is addictive
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:30 PM   #14

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
Attachment 37541
BEFORE I found this website I had a 1971 Compact Jr. that I towed with a 1991 Toyota Camry LE/V6 Station Wagon. It's owners manual stated a 1000 pound towing limit. The info I had on my Compact Jr. said it weighed "900 pounds". In like Flynn, right?

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html
Check out the 1st 2 entries in the link above. The very lightest trailer had been gutted out and remodeled to be as minimal as possible, using the lightest materials possible. Only shelving, no enclosed cabinetry. No refrigerator, no air conditioner, it was basically a hard sided tent. OVER 1000 POUNDS.
Well, that list is pretty discouraging then. The first Casitas in there is over #2,000. Well, nearly all of them are over that. And yet, I seem to see people talking about towing these with Subaru Foresters. My 2000 S'F'r had a #1000 tow cap.

Let's see then. Either, people regularly exceed their tow cap, or my idea of using the Camry is wishful thinking?

I'll have to do a lot more looking into this tow cap business. I certainly would want a propane cooktop and some kind of refer as a minimum. Otherwise I might as well just carry a cardboard box in the trunk and toss it out on the ground to sleep under.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:49 PM   #15

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
We have a 16' Scamp which we started towing with a Ford Ranger which did very well.

For a small, very lightweight trailer, if you could find a Little Joe or a Ponderosa, these would be ideal for towing with a Camry, I would think.

Little Joe Lightweight Trailer - Compact Camper Trailer for 2 by Weiscraft Trailers

Even a Roughneck seems like it might be fun.

I have not gotten to see in real life, however. They look cool. You can get a shower in the Ponderosa even. I believe they are reality new.

I believe they are very similar to an older, short lived model, the LiteHouse:
2-LiteHouse
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 02:31 PM   #16

Trailer: Trillium 4500
I would sell the Camry, use 3K of your intended purchase $ to upgrade to a slightly beefier tug (it dosen't have to be some monster truck). The remaining 5K will still get you a decent 16' Scamp or Casita IF you're fast, patient, lucky and willing to drive for it.
Think about how big of a bed you need. Most 13'ers have pretty narrow beds; works for many, but ya better be small and cozy. Do you want bathroom facilitys? Again a 13'er will feel pretty cramped with a bathroom (Do they even make such a thing?). Welcome and good luck!
Scott H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:01 PM   #17

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
Tow vehicle

Quote:
Total noob here. I just discovered this category of "eggs" as you refer to them. WOW - seems like a dream come true. A lightweight RV I Can tow with a Camry V6? Enough room for two and a tiny dog? (Hopefully) easy to set up? Ok, what's the downside to this? What am I missing? Is fiberglass less safe, or more maintenance, or gets blown over in the wind, or too cold in the spring, or too hot in the summer or what?

Why would anyone by those "other kind" of trailers when these exist?
You will get a lot of opinions on tow vehicles. I have a 13' Trillium and tow it with a 4 cylinder, 5 speed Jetta. I have towed it from New Brunswick, Canada to Florida and back as well as to northern Ontario and back with absolutely no issues. I can easily maintain highway speeds although I usually stay closer to 55 mph to save gas. I am careful to ensure my tongue weight is correct. I usually travel by myself but have taken another adult on occasion. I did add trailer brakes and would strongly recommend adding those immediately.
Good luck in your search.
Barrie
HikeSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:42 PM   #18

California
I did some quickie research and I discovered that the Toyota Sienna and the Honda Odessey both have a #3500 tow cap. That's a considerable lot more than the #2000 in my Camry, and I would think that kind of van vehicle would be somewhat comfortable like a Camry - although I have never even sat in one let alone drove one. I may at least go look at one to see what they are like.

I really don't think I can make do in a 13 foot. 20 years ago, yes. But at 63, I don't want to be so cramped, and lugging coolers around and all the rest. My fantasy (unrealistic as it may be) is to find like a spaceship on wheels. Light, spartan, modern, easy to clean, but with certain comforts like refer and stove.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:12 PM   #19

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
Quote:

I really don't think I can make do in a 13 foot. 20 years ago, yes. But at 63, I don't want to be so cramped, and lugging coolers around and all the rest. My fantasy (unrealistic as it may be) is to find like a spaceship on wheels. Light, spartan, modern, easy to clean, but with certain comforts like refer and stove.
I'm almost 60 myself and you might be surprised by how much you can do with a 13 footer. Mine has a 3 way fridge, a 2 burner stove, propane furnace and a porta potti. The front couch is great for taking naps and the rear dinette folds down to a comfortable bed. There is a closet for clothes and lots of overhead cabinets. It even has a range hood with a fan and light. The 3 interior lights are LED and run forever from the on board battery. While it doesn't have all the amenities of a full blown motorhome I haven't had to make many compromises. Of course, what works great for me might be spartan for someone else.
Good luck in your search. If you visit a gathering of fiberglass eggs I'm sure you'll receive plenty of offers to look over the selections there.
Barrie
HikeSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 04:23 PM   #20

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
The down side? The beds in most models are too small to sleep two comfortably in our opinion. There are those who's opinion is that the beds are just right.

Oh and they are like potato chips...you can't have just one.