North to Alaska - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2021, 01:00 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
My young daughter wanted me to rent a small motor home for some reason ( we had a tent trailer ). I looked into it. You were not allowed to take it off pavement and when you returned it, you got nailed with a hefty "cleaning" fee. Needless to say, we never rented one.
I expect if you rent one in Alaska, you will be responsible for any and all damage to the RV ( at premium rates ).
Old 12-11-2021, 01:17 PM   #22

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
With the foam padding and grille screen, we did fine. The only casualty was to our trucks windshield, and both those happened on paved roads.
First windshield chip was in Montana on a main road. It seems a lot of the side roads in Montana are gravel, and once those vehicles turn onto the paved road they start shedding the gravel from their tires.
Second windshield chip was in the Yukon. We were stopped in construction traffic behind a large truck. Opposit direction traffic was moving since it was their turn, and one tanker truck through a rock up in the air, and it landed on the passenger side of the windshield. Paved road, but gravel in the construction zone ahead.
The chips were not a big problem until a couple years later on a cold morning when I turned the defroster on; instant crack along the whole windshield. Guess it's a good idea to get those chips filled in as soon as you can, our insurance (USAA) covers chip repairs for free.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 01:38 PM   #23

Name: Bob
Trailer: Bigfoot 17
British Columbia
Lived in the Yukon for over 20 years. The Alaska Hwy is a great run, and most of the good tips have already been covered. I would add that another nuisance is the sand (AND gravel) they put on the highway over the winter is what will give you a rock chip in the spring. If you travel in July/Aug for example, that debris should be pretty much gone.
Do the trip, but don't miss the side trip to Skayway either...fantastic scenery with virtually no development (hard to find that anymore).

Bob
'89 Bigfoot 17 DLX
Bob T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 03:13 PM   #24

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
I bolted an extension on my 4runners existing mud flaps
The extensions came close to the ground.
The Alaska trip was great.
Cow eye rock chip in northern BC on a main road.
I did not take the extensions off the mud flaps, when we returned home; I backed into a driveway after returning home (without trailer), the driveway had about a 20 degree angle, the extensions folded under the existing flaps, went under the wheels and the whole set of mud flaps was torn off the body of the 4runner, as I drove back over them.
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 08:10 PM   #25

Name: Don
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Alaska Gravel

Guards are recommended if you get on one of the gravel highways. We had more issues with tow vehicle than trailer. We actually lost a side window on the van from a truck throwing up gravel going opposite direction and headlights. Going home through the Yukon the border patrol were searching our vehicle thoroughly as they seemed more amused about the blue tarp an duct tape covering the window. We didn’t have too many rock chips in trailer. Other than that the trip was awesome!
Dwhowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 11:35 AM   #26

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
My young daughter wanted me to rent a small motor home for some reason ( we had a tent trailer ). I looked into it. You were not allowed to take it off pavement and when you returned it, you got nailed with a hefty "cleaning" fee. Needless to say, we never rented one.
I expect if you rent one in Alaska, you will be responsible for any and all damage to the RV ( at premium rates ).
Years ago.....before we owned a trailer.....we rented motorhomes in So Calif.....used them in the Sierras....also took trip to Yellowstone and the Tetons.....it was a good experience......worked for us at the time when kids were young. Off road....you're right.....not supposed to take them off road but gravel roads were not a problem......you can buy insurance from the rental company....not expensive.....also.....your own insurance will cover you in most cases. Had a frienda few years back do the rental thing in Alsaka.....had a great time.......no problems. As I said....not for everyone but great for some. BTW.....if you use your own rig......you are reponsible for any and all damage as well......funny how that works!
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 12:40 PM   #27

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrybob View Post
BTW.....if you use your own rig......you are reponsible for any and all damage as well......funny how that works!
If it's my rig, I can decide if a chip in the gelcoat is worth fixing or not. If it's a rental, what it costs me is not within my control.
I'm only suggesting reading the small print and asking the right questions.
Old 12-12-2021, 09:03 PM   #28

Name: Kathy
Trailer: Shopping
Minnesota
Definitely install padding on corners!

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
For those that have made the trip are rock guards for the trailer, hood, and lights worth it or considered necessary?
I did the 8,755 mi. RT from Minnesota to Alaska and back towing my Scamp 13' and WOULD DEFINITELY put corner protection otherwise you WILL DAMAGE your fiberglass with numerous chips in your fiberglass from all the gravel from all the road repair due to the annual frost heaves in the perma frost under the paved highway.
I STRONGLY RECOMMEND using a yoga mat! Cut it in half, spray paint prior to, and put on using whatever color duct tape you wish.
I totally saved my fiberglass by doing this because when I returned home I saw that a few pieces of gravel almost made it through!
mnhoneybees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 12:40 PM   #29

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
If it's my rig, I can decide if a chip in the gelcoat is worth fixing or not. If it's a rental, what it costs me is not within my control.
I'm only suggesting reading the small print and asking the right questions.

I hear ya.....good advice with almost anything these days. I would add....check with your insurance company......look into additional coverage if renting. I don't rent these days and our little Casita has several chip marks.....I just look at them as "life" marks......heck.....I got quite a few myself!
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote