Not Fiberglass, but Any Experience with AS Basecamp 20? - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-02-2021, 11:31 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Mr Lynn's Avatar
 
Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17, purchased from original owners May, 2016
Massachusetts
Posts: 439
Not Fiberglass, but Any Experience with AS Basecamp 20?

The side dinette bed in our Casita Spirit is pretty narrow, even with the 4" extension with plywood boards I made, and a bit of a pain to set up. See my thread from last May, HERE.) So I've been looking around at fancier fiberglass trailers (like the Oliver Twin) and stickies, for a little more flexibility.

One intriguing trailer is the Airstream Basecamp20, new just last year, with a semi-circular dinette and an adjustable center table that you just lower to make a bed. They claim the bed size is 43x78", but course it's 43" is (I presume) a radius, which means less room for head and shoulders at one end. Has anyone here tried one?

Of course the Basecamp20 has a twin-bench bed in the back as well. See the video on this Airstream site.

The Basecamp20 is not cheap, but it's a reasonably small (20' by 7'10") and looks well-outfitted. Presumably the aluminum-clad body is up to the standards of the big Airstreams, and maybe of the molded-fiberglass community here. Just wondering if anyone here has looked at one, or actually camped in it. —LEJ
__________________
"The Molded Fiberglass Obsession"—From a Pickup Cap to a Casita

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 11:52 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Carol and Mike's Avatar
 
Name: Mike
Trailer: Oliver Elite II
Boerne, Texas
Posts: 236
I’d head over to Airforums and read some of the Basecamp posts. Like other Airstreams there are quality issues. You might look at Intech, they appear to be very good quality - travel trailers are only a small part of their trailer manufacturing. They have a couple of smaller trailers that look nice. Mike
__________________
2016 Oliver Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7L Turbo Diesel
Carol and Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 02:03 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Mr Lynn's Avatar
 
Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17, purchased from original owners May, 2016
Massachusetts
Posts: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol and Mike View Post
I’d head over to Airforums and read some of the Basecamp posts. Like other Airstreams there are quality issues. You might look at Intech, they appear to be very good quality - travel trailers are only a small part of their trailer manufacturing. They have a couple of smaller trailers that look nice. Mike
Thanks, Mike. I was not aware of Intech. Their 'Sol Horizon' model is only a couple of feet longer than our Casita, but has a front dinette that converts to a 50x86 bed. They advertise an aluminum-only body frame, with a one-piece fiberglass roof. Their nearest dealer is about 70 miles from us, and doesn't look like they have any to look at.

I wonder how these companies like Airstream and Intech with great big windows up front protect them from flying stones and other hazards. . .

UPDATE: I see Intech has a padded protective snap-on cover for the front window. Optional. . .
__________________
"The Molded Fiberglass Obsession"—From a Pickup Cap to a Casita

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 03:21 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Jon in AZ's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Posts: 10,542
Registry
All the rock chips on my Scamp are below the belly band. Zero above. The bigger problem for front windows is wind-driven rain.

My only observation about the larger Base Camp is the width, at almost 8’. I really love the narrow profile of Scamps and Casitas, which at 6.5’ slot in neatly behind many common tow vehicles.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 03:55 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Mr Lynn's Avatar
 
Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17, purchased from original owners May, 2016
Massachusetts
Posts: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
All the rock chips on my Scamp are below the belly band. Zero above. The bigger problem for front windows is wind-driven rain.

My only observation about the larger Base Camp is the width, at almost 8’. I really love the narrow profile of Scamps and Casitas, which at 6.5’ slot in neatly behind many common tow vehicles.
Casitas are 6'8" wide, to be exact. You're close enough.

Interestingly, the Intech Sol Horizon 'box width' is 7'. The 'overall width' is 8.5'. The additional 1.5' is because the wheels and fenders stick out from the sides. Wouldn't affect your rear vision.
__________________
"The Molded Fiberglass Obsession"—From a Pickup Cap to a Casita

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 04:44 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Carol and Mike's Avatar
 
Name: Mike
Trailer: Oliver Elite II
Boerne, Texas
Posts: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lynn View Post
UPDATE: I see Intech has a padded protective snap-on cover for the front window. Optional. . .
Yes, they include a cover for the front window. Owners give them good reviews. Mike
__________________
2016 Oliver Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7L Turbo Diesel
Carol and Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 05:58 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Jon in AZ's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Posts: 10,542
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lynn View Post
Casitas are 6'8" wide, to be exact. You're close enough.

Interestingly, the Intech Sol Horizon 'box width' is 7'. The 'overall width' is 8.5'. The additional 1.5' is because the wheels and fenders stick out from the sides. Wouldn't affect your rear vision.
The belly band accounts for close to an inch on each side, so I'll stand by my figure as reflecting the width of the actual trailer body.

For reference, a late model Ford F150 is 79.9" wide, not including mirrors. My Pilot is 78.5". According to DOT regs, 80" is the threshold for extra clearance lighting (the three in the middle), so most tow vehicles (dually pickups excepted) are less than 80" wide.

Outboard wheels don't affect visibility, but because you don't see them, they can be more vulnerable to catching a curb or other obstruction. It's more of problem when the wheels track outside the tow vehicle's profile.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 06:09 PM   #8
Raz
Senior Member
 
Raz's Avatar
 
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Posts: 5,009
I'm a little unclear. Are you looking for bigger beds? The Escape 17B has a 30" bed in the front and a 48" bed in the back. And of course has a bath. I believe it was there first model, so more common used than the others if thats a consideration. New, who knows how long it would take?
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 08:45 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Mr Lynn's Avatar
 
Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17, purchased from original owners May, 2016
Massachusetts
Posts: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
. . . Outboard wheels don't affect visibility, but because you don't see them, they can be more vulnerable to catching a curb or other obstruction. It's more of problem when the wheels track outside the tow vehicle's profile.
Noted. I wonder if owners of trailers with outboard wheels actually experience such problems. They're pretty common on utility and cargo trailers. Maybe owners learn pretty quickly to keep an eye on the bottom of their mirrors.

I wouldn't let that style affect a buying decision. Coming from the MFG world, I would worry more about seams, leaks, etc. How inTech (their spelling preference, I guess) rates in that department would be interesting to know.

Anyway, I find it significant that a mere two-foot increase in length over my Casita makes a much larger dinette possible.
__________________
"The Molded Fiberglass Obsession"—From a Pickup Cap to a Casita

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 09:23 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Jon in AZ's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Posts: 10,542
Registry
I recall reading of a Lil Snoozy owner that damaged the wheel, tire, and fender on one side due to an unintended encounter with an immovable object. I doubt it’s a common occurrence, but Lil Snoozy is the only MFG model with outboard wheels that are wider than the typical tow vehicle.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 07:19 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Mr Lynn's Avatar
 
Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17, purchased from original owners May, 2016
Massachusetts
Posts: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I recall reading of a Lil Snoozy owner that damaged the wheel, tire, and fender on one side due to an unintended encounter with an immovable object. I doubt it’s a common occurrence, but Lil Snoozy is the only MFG model with outboard wheels that are wider than the typical tow vehicle.
Well, I managed to scrape the side of my Casista against an immovable gas-station barrier set up to protect the pumps. Tore off the city-water inlet, cracked the sewer drain, and scratched the side. Don't need outboard wheels if you're going to make a tight turn, forgetting you've got a trailer in tow. . .

I fixed the drains and the inlet; scratch remains. I don't forget as easily now.
__________________
"The Molded Fiberglass Obsession"—From a Pickup Cap to a Casita

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 07:34 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Mr Lynn's Avatar
 
Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17, purchased from original owners May, 2016
Massachusetts
Posts: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
I'm a little unclear. Are you looking for bigger beds? The Escape 17B has a 30" bed in the front and a 48" bed in the back. And of course has a bath. I believe it was there first model, so more common used than the others if thats a consideration. New, who knows how long it would take?
You're unclear because I was. I've been hoping for a camper with two beds and a table I could leave up. In the molded fiberglass world that's hard to find, aside from the high-end Olivers and Bigfoots, and the projected Escape23 (yes, there are plenty of twin and 'bunkhouse' models in the stickie world, which is why I was looking at the Airstream site).

Noticing the Basecamp, I've begun to think that all I really need is a bigger dinette, one that's easy to set up as a bed every night. In that case, the Escapes 19 and 21 would work well, and keep me in the MFG world, which I prefer (see the 2016 post linked in my signature). I would prefer a wider-than-30" bed, so not the Escape 17B, though it is in front, and not in the hallway as our 24" Casita bed is (I awkwardly expand it to 28").

Anyone got a larger Escape for sale? Anywhere close to MA (or VA)?
__________________
"The Molded Fiberglass Obsession"—From a Pickup Cap to a Casita

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 07:52 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Jon in AZ's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Posts: 10,542
Registry
Of course. A moment's inattention and it can happen when towing any trailer. I was sitting in my tow vehicle hooked up to my utility trailer a few months ago ready to back out of my driveway, when I was distracted by an urgent text message. Put it in park to respond. By the time I finished dealing with the situation, which involved several phone calls and text messages, I was running late and had completely forgotten the trailer. It is low and narrow, and due to the slope of my driveway did not show in any of my mirrors. Jackknifed it hard. Cost me a new taillight on my tow vehicle, a small dent in the sheet metal I will leave as a reminder of my error, and a gash in the plastic bumper fascia I may or may not get around to touching up. No damage to the trailer. Could have been a lot worse.

I still think 8.5' wide with outboard wheels is a mishap waiting to happen, but like anything, you can learn to manage it.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 11:51 AM   #14
Junior Member
 
Name: Mike
Trailer: None currently
Virginia
Posts: 16
We looked at Basecamps, both 16 and 20 before ordering our Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe. The Basecamp 20 was big on the outside and small on the inside. Front dinette only big enough for one to sleep in. Rear bed/dinette was large. Storage was minimal, few windows and even fewer opened. Big rear door was interesting, but anything large enough to need the door would have to be removed for two to sleep comfortably. And it was heavy and did I mention big?

The Casita was lighter and smaller on the outside, felt roomier on the inside with more storage and a nice airy feeling. The Spirit offers interior flexibility… leave the rear dinette made as a bed (actual double sized bed) and use the side dinette for two. Or make up the rear dinette and have two separate work/seating areas. Or make up both beds and be able to sleep a third person (teenager or small adult).

For two or three people, the Casita Spirit Deluxe made a lot more sense to us. And was cheaper with less seams and potential for leaks. Only downside for us was the wait time for a new one.

-Mike
FloridaNativeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 04:24 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Mr Lynn's Avatar
 
Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17, purchased from original owners May, 2016
Massachusetts
Posts: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaNativeMike View Post
We looked at Basecamps, both 16 and 20 before ordering our Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe. The Basecamp 20 was big on the outside and small on the inside. Front dinette only big enough for one to sleep in. Rear bed/dinette was large. Storage was minimal, few windows and even fewer opened. Big rear door was interesting, but anything large enough to need the door would have to be removed for two to sleep comfortably. And it was heavy and did I mention big?

The Casita was lighter and smaller on the outside, felt roomier on the inside with more storage and a nice airy feeling. The Spirit offers interior flexibility… leave the rear dinette made as a bed (actual double sized bed) and use the side dinette for two. Or make up the rear dinette and have two separate work/seating areas. Or make up both beds and be able to sleep a third person (teenager or small adult).

For two or three people, the Casita Spirit Deluxe made a lot more sense to us. And was cheaper with less seams and potential for leaks. Only downside for us was the wait time for a new one.

-Mike
Thanks for the Basecamp review, which also gets us back to the original topic. Just looking at the website, it left me wondering about eccentricities in the Basecamp layout (e.g. why have two benches in back that make into a half bed, and not a full one? how much useable space could a semi-circular sleeping area really offer?). I think that if we wanted an Airstream, we'd probably look for a small Flying Cloud—used, of course.

Now about the trailers the other Mike suggested, the inTech line. Their 'Sol Horizon' model looks quite interesting to me, 19' overall, with a big, rectangular convertible dinette/bed, dramatic glass up front. inTech builds on a welded-aluminum chassis (which Escape is just getting to with their E23 model, but not till 2023), plus an aluminum frame body with fiberglass roof and azdel-fiberglass sides (I do wonder about the seam between roof and sides, a notorious source of leaks in regular stickies). I'd like to see the Sol Horizon, but the nearest dealer is 70 miles away, and their website says sold out until December—maybe then.

It's possible the inTech Sol Horizon might be a good upgrade for us from our Casita SD, which has the virtues you speak of. I like the little side dinette fine for sitting and working, but it's too narrow for sleeping. Just don't get kicked out of the back bed, and you'll enjoy life in the excellent Casita. –LEJ
__________________
"The Molded Fiberglass Obsession"—From a Pickup Cap to a Casita

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 06:03 PM   #16
Raz
Senior Member
 
Raz's Avatar
 
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Posts: 5,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lynn View Post
Thanks for the Basecamp review, which also gets us back to the original topic. Just looking at the website, it left me wondering about eccentricities in the Basecamp layout (e.g. why have two benches in back that make into a half bed, and not a full one? how much useable space could a semi-circular sleeping area really offer?). I think that if we wanted an Airstream, we'd probably look for a small Flying Cloud—used, of course.
As I recall the Basecamp was originally produced as a mini toy hauler marketed at the 20 and 30 somethings as a base for outdoor adventures. I recall tie downs for motorcycles etc. which may explain the unusual layout.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 09:59 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Mr Lynn's Avatar
 
Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17, purchased from original owners May, 2016
Massachusetts
Posts: 439
UPDATE: We were able to look at an inTech Sol Horizon owned by a family in a nearby town. We were quite impressed. It's only a couple of feet longer than our Casita, and no wider (except for the wheels, which stick out, as Jon and I discussed above), but seems much more spacious inside, mainly because of the big dinette and picture window in front. The wet bath is larger, too, as is the stove and sink combination. One disadvantage is the lack of a closet (like many Casita owners, I put shelves in ours, and we keep our clothes there in plastic bins); I think the refrigerator is smaller, too (but the Horizon has an optional outdoor kitchen with griddle and a second, 12v/120v-only cooler-sized fridge/freezer). The big selling point for me is the dinette, which makes into a 50"x78" bed. Fellow who showed us the trailer said his two teenaged boys slept there, sometimes with a dog.

You can see the inTech Sol Horizon HERE. inTech also offers a two-axle, 26-foot model called the Terra, which is very appealing, but dry weight is 5,650+, GVWR 7,500 lbs, which is pushing the limits of our 2013 Expedition (and costs in the $60ks, too).

I think I'd still like to get my hands on an Escape 19 or 21, but Escape is now taking orders for summer '23, and used ones are mighty scarce. The Sol Horizon might satisfy us as well, and I could park it under the 10x20 canopy that I've now got the Casita in. —LEJ
__________________
"The Molded Fiberglass Obsession"—From a Pickup Cap to a Casita

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 03:33 PM   #18
Member
 
MTRCYCMAN's Avatar
 
Name: Mickey
Trailer: 18EC W&P Toy Hauler
Oklahoma
Posts: 45
Bigfoot makes the 25B25RT that has rear twins and it is awesome! The beds are 36in X 80in. I personally had the 25B25RQ which is the same floor plan other than the beds. I personally think Bigfoot is the best built trailer on the market. They just don't make a toy hauler and we have to take the Harley with us.

Good Luck!
__________________
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
MTRCYCMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 04:17 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Mr Lynn's Avatar
 
Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17, purchased from original owners May, 2016
Massachusetts
Posts: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTRCYCMAN View Post
Bigfoot makes the 25B25RT that has rear twins and it is awesome! The beds are 36in X 80in. I personally had the 25B25RQ which is the same floor plan other than the beds. I personally think Bigfoot is the best built trailer on the market. They just don't make a toy hauler and we have to take the Harley with us.

Good Luck!
I'd love a Bigfoot, but they are $80k, and probably too heavy for our Ford Expedition.
__________________
"The Molded Fiberglass Obsession"—From a Pickup Cap to a Casita

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 07:27 AM   #20
Junior Member
 
Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21C
Ohio
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lynn View Post
I'd love a Bigfoot, but they are $80k, and probably too heavy for our Ford Expedition.
Actually 60 k well equipped and within the tow capacity of our 2004 f150. Dry is 48 plus lbs with gvwl oh 7700

Our tow does 8500 with a 1880 payload

Not sure of your expedition numbers. The 21’s are lighter and cheaper.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BaseCamp is back! Sid General Chat 22 09-29-2016 10:25 AM
Biolite Basecamp: generating recharges with scrap wood EllPea in CA Electrical | Charging, Systems, Solar and Generators 18 07-29-2015 07:02 AM
BaseCamp Hostel - TRAILERS! fusedlight General Chat 4 09-30-2013 03:30 PM
I checked out the Airstream Basecamp yesterday... John Mc General Chat 11 02-10-2008 10:51 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.