Not fiberglass, but why not wooden trailers? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-03-2018, 04:27 PM   #21

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
old shasta

last summer at Bennett springs state park a couple turned up in a 13f Shasta. that thing wasn't big enough to have weighed too much it was completely remodeled I forgot to ask the weght?

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 09:31 PM   #22

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Most everyone that looks at the picture of that tiny house immediately form an opinion. Read them. Crazy students. Impractical. Not really the square footage advertised, which must mean new math. Not fiberglass, so it can't be on this site. Designed by rich students, so we already know it's wrong, etc.

Any new design, in an engineering or design class, is valuable. All the deliberation and materials study and comparisons to current products are what train designers and engineers to do their job. This is not a sales brochure, it's a design concept.

All of the opinions that flowed from looking at it are part of the second phase. That part is to evaluate the practicality of the concept. Can it be built? Does it fit a market need? Will it last? How much does it cost to make? How can we improve the shape? How will a skeptical public respond to it? Why hasn't this idea been produced before? Is it to far ahead of it's time? Is it behind current thinking? Who is it designed for? Etc.

The many knee jerk responses written here are the exact questions that will be brought to the table and evaluated, except possibly the put down of supposed rich students that don't have a clue about the real world, simply because they are rich. The designers must always keep in mind that people hate change and will fight it violently if needed. People also resist success by others.

This are the real world design experiences and challenges.

As examples of resistance to new ideas look at the resistance to LED lights, electric cars, solar systems, self driving cars, etc.

Some new products happen to be in the right place at the right time, such as smart phones.

I find it interesting that commenters would rather be negative toward the concept, and the designers, than look for any good it might offer. I wonder if fiberglass trailers met the same resistance early on? I know of one fiberglass boat manufacturer that had to build boats and race them and beat the competition, back in the 1950s, to prove the concept to skeptical boat builders that insisted that "boats must be made from trees".
Old 03-03-2018, 09:44 PM   #23

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
It's a lot like a hand-made wooden canoe: beautiful to look at but expensive to make, an exercise in craftsmanship over practicality.
I believe it was Herrshoff that listed the three most important features of a canoe. in descending order they are: First, it must look good. Second, it must be light. Third, it must handle well in the water.

The reasoning is that it must look good in order to get your attention and make you want to to use it. Then it must be light enough to easily transport to the water. After all of that, its sea kindly nature becomes important.
Old 03-04-2018, 07:44 AM   #24

Missouri
small house concepts

I for one don't understand the small house concept. many are built on wheels where do you take them what then? there will be an expense to park them or who is going to allow them? then the quality is not built for trailering far what then? you still have to have plumbing and electricity for long term!

they put so many doodads in them then they become too pricey! what bank is going to loan money on these things most people don't have 60k laying around!

it just seems to me with depreciation, maintance costs and depreciation people are kidding themselves. Maybe a good apartment would be better!

bob
Old 03-04-2018, 11:45 AM   #25

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Being in a vintage camper group, I've been part of many frame up restorations and have also seen new design/builds of teardrops and 'tiny homes'. This is just one more example of a movable camper, behome, or just a weekend retreat. in today's world of reliance on technology and boxed ideas, I like to see creativity at work. For me, I love the stained glass wall.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 01:00 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
For me, I love the stained glass wall.
Had a stained glass door in my house. Didn't take long for it to fall apart from being opened and closed.
Old 03-04-2018, 02:09 PM   #27

Missouri
I am startled at new home prices today! I talk to a builder he claims he cant make any money on a 150k house which in todays world is a starter home.

we have some Amish in the area they are booked up on building 1m homes. holy cow! are our wants now way in front of our needs? all this just seems spooky to me!

bob
Old 03-04-2018, 03:39 PM   #28

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Not fiberglass, but why not wooden trailers?

Just happened to notice there is a new development of tiny homes in a nearby town. It's in an area that has already been developed for manufactured homes on private lots, but I think the tiny home development consists of rental spaces.

They all appear to be true, custom built tiny houses in the 150-200sf range, no RV's or park models I can see.

When I hear about so many municipalities trying to keep them out, it's refreshing to see one town learning to accommodate them. I'm curious how they address the issue of codes and inspections.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 04:38 PM   #29

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:

When I hear about so many municipalities trying to keep them out, it's refreshing to see one town learning to accommodate them. I'm curious how they address the issue of codes and inspections.
Maybe the wheels make them, by code, travel trailers. Then there is no code for the homes and the developed area becomes a mobile home park.

In the Bay Area a rental spot to Park a trailer and live in it can easily cost $1,500. per month, if you can find a spot. Relatively small apartments can be $4-5,000. per month (Google and Apple share the cost for their employees) and small vacant lots can be a million or more.

When looked at in that environment, a $60,000. tiny home seems reasonable. Plus a lot of people these days don't want yards or need a garage. If you own your tiny home, nobody can take it away during the next recession.
Old 03-04-2018, 05:17 PM   #30

Missouri
tiny houses

a guy built one here on the main road next to some fairly nice homes there were some complaints.

i don't see a problem with them but they need to be to themselves in my opinion. saying that if we can cut down on the homeless somehow that is all good!

bob
Old 03-04-2018, 06:41 PM   #31

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Just happened to notice there is a new development of tiny homes in a nearby town. It's in an area that has already been developed for manufactured homes on private lots, but I think the tiny home development consists of rental spaces.

They all appear to be true, custom built tiny houses in the 150-200sf range, no RV's or park models I can see.

I totally agree. If this is what some folks want, and they are paying the bill, I think there should be a way that they are accommodated. Having a subdivision where the are allowed is fantastic.

There are some that incorporate fantastic innovative ideas, often thinking outside the box. Many of these are built with quality in mind. There are also some that are scabbed together by folks with the best of intents, but are low on funds and expertise.

I would love to build small homes for folks who want them. As I age I want a bit more, but I too have been guilty of building up my home well beyond my needs, though when I sold it, it did make me some good coin to put into my retirement fund.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 10:10 PM   #32

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene View Post
Yes it is definitely all about the heat. Doing research right now on rocket stoves. Similar to the Volcano you have. Only with a chimney or exhaust. The size and weight limitations of retrofitting RVs is the biggest issue I am finding. ....
There are several useful threads on this forum if you search "wood stove". Some link to FaceBook posts where people have installed a small wood stove in their cabin boat or camper. Recent popular model seems to be the Cubic Mini "Cub" https://cubicminiwoodstoves.com/. Intriguing....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 10:28 PM   #33

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
While eye-catching, I'm guessing that the "OTIS" might struggle to survive potholes at highway speed? But then, I'm guessing some commercial travel trailers have trouble holding it together in pothole country, as well.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:34 PM   #34

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
last summer at Bennett springs state park a couple turned up in a 13f Shasta. that thing wasn't big enough to have weighed too much it was completely remodeled I forgot to ask the weght?

bob

Although they might have given you an answer, how many people actually weigh their trailer? I've owned many over the years, and I have never weighed mine. So if you asked me, I'd give you a rough estimate but I have no data to support it. Given some of the molded FG for sale ads I have seen, seems like a lot of people are winging it.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 02:15 AM   #35

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Ahhhh Design Students, Ya Gotta Love Em.....

There is no indication of weight, no insulation, untold places for leaks, potentially high maintenance costs with all that wood and very thin fiberglass(?) sheeting, no visable ventilation and best of all, 70 sq. ft. of. living space on an 8' long trailer. Even if it was 8' wide (and it's not) that's still only 64 sq.ft.

Back in the day, when Dr. Wayne Champion (real name) was my advisor in design classes @ SJSU, he made it clear that design was for designers, making it actually work was a problem for the engineers.....

I know, picky, picky, picky.... but it would be nice if they spent time learning about how projects were to used before trying to design them.....
I certainly disagree with your Dr. Champion's opinion. I have worked for many years in the field of design and engineering with a lot of talented and not so talented persons to believe that your Dr. Champions opinion is any kind of a valid generalization in the real world. Nowadays modern companies are moving away from that business model of keeping engineers and designers secluded away from each other into the business model of teams that include both designers and engineers as well as the people from the factory who put things together. It is not at all unusual for one person to be skilled at design and engineering as well as manufacturing techniques. That perfectly describes the man who was the founder of the Airstreams. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Hawley_Bowlus

But as to student projects, one does not expect them to be marvels of design or engineering. It takes a lot of failures to figure out what works and what does not. One thing you might not want to risk as a young design student is to be boringly safe and sane, there is little real design or engineering advancement on that path.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 05:44 AM   #36
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
This is a four year old thread. Many of the posts are from folks that for one reason or another, no longer participate. As such they won't be responding to their critics. A day off for the moderators.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 01:03 PM   #37

Name: Mike
Trailer: Oliver
Colorado
Maybe tiny homes are not being accommodated in our society because there is no Tiny Homes Trade Association ($$$) to bribe I mean lobby on their behalf.
Rumline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 04:19 PM   #38

Missouri
well well

I once had a friend whose father-in-law represented an automobile association his job was to carry a briefcase of money around to big-shots in government.

I can see this happening!

bob
Old 03-07-2018, 10:02 PM   #39

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumline View Post
Maybe tiny homes are not being accommodated in our society because there is no Tiny Homes Trade Association ($$$) to bribe I mean lobby on their behalf.
The small community where I grew up is struggling with how to "accommodate" Tiny Homes. Some Tiny Home owners want to save money by bending the "density" laws by packing three or four of them onto a lot sized (and priced) for a single family dwelling as long as they follow the "setback" laws. Neighbors fear they will lower surrounding property values. Frustration abounds on both sides of the Tiny Home "accommodation" issue.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:56 PM   #40

Name: Mike
Trailer: Oliver
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Some Tiny Home owners want to save money by bending the "density" laws by packing three or four of them onto a lot sized (and priced) for a single family dwelling as long as they follow the "setback" laws.
That sounds silly. I would be upset too. But I find it incredible that most counties here in Colorado do not allow tiny homes on any sized lot even in rural or unincorporated areas.
Rumline is offline   Reply With Quote