Not sure if this is legit or not - 2003 Casita $800 - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2021, 02:06 PM   #21

Name: Peter
Trailer: Casita
New Mexico
A long story about a would-be scammer

In 2017 I advertised a very nice canoe on Craigslist in my town in MI. I got a nibble from !Houston, TX, and I was incredulous. A conversation about shipping it! That he could arrange a truck. For a $1100 canoe??? A few days later a FedEx came from !Oregon. Contained a check for 'way too much money. On a Chicago bank!!!! Scammer called and said, yes just cash it. I took it to my bank and said, should I deposit this? Lady said, "Let me take a look." Some keystrokes and a half minute later, she said "This check says a Chicago bank, but the bank routing number is for another bank in FL, and it doesn't appear related to the Chicago bank." She pushed the check back and said, "I wouldn't deposit it." So I went home. A day later the scammer called again. "Did you deposit the check?" No. Why not? Well, it's drawn on a Chicago bank, routing number is for a Fl bank, you're in Houston and the check came from Oregon. So I'm not cashing it, bank says I shouldn't. "Stupid bank" said the scammer, and hung up. The last I heard from him!
Peter in La Luz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 06:24 PM   #22

Name: Tim
Trailer: Scamp
UT
I have seen the same thing here in Salt Lake: for an Airstream, Casita, Tacoma Pickups, not just Facebook, but KSL, and Craigslist. I was wondering if 800 was threshold for some legal standing. ie Felony, mail fraud, etc. I also wondered about the motivation, although some are dealers so they might think they are gaining by getting you in the door.

But I have bought many items on Marketplace and overall am very happy with it.
Tkemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 09:06 PM   #23

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkemple View Post
But I have bought many items on Marketplace and overall am very happy with it.
Good point.. On Facebook marketplace you can see how long someone has been on Facebook, and see their Facebook friends, and maybe more. Lots of evidence to judge the seller (or scammer). Not to say that they still can't fool you, but the digital history is hard to fake and most scammers take the easy path.

Iv'e see the scam attempts.. but on Facebook Marketplace or even Craigslist they have been pretty obvious. I have sold and bought using both CL and FB with no problems after weeding out the fakers. I even got some guy who was overseas, but who claimed to be local, to send FedEx packages to the local police dept (with their OK). The scammers dont even have the intelligence to check the addresses that they are mailing their fake checks to.

Bottom line is.. when using sites that dont offer the security of eBay, then the rules for buyers are, you go in person, you see the item, you secure title if appropriate, then and only then do you pay. For sellers, the buyer comes to you, approves the items, and one way or another produces cash.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 09:27 AM   #24

Name: Steve
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16
North Carolina
I've seen no less than a dozen ads for the $800 Casita on fb in the last few weeks all from different towns some as close as 10 miles apart. I notice they all claim to be at a dealership and give an address.....guess what, no dealership there.

I have seen nice vehicles that are distinctive like a late model Chevy truck that's lifted w/custom wheels and they want $1000 for it. Same deal, multiple ads, same picture/description and all from different "dealers".

The strange part is if you just browse fb marketplace you'll see these repeat ads, some right next to each other. If you search "Casita" you'll only see one of them. That's the fb marketplace magic for you!
SteveV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 11:36 AM   #25

North Carolina
So here is the Casita dealership page on Facebook.. look fast because it wont be online for long:
https://www.facebook.com/Casita-spir...=page_internal
Note that a quick check shows that the page was created only five days ago. That alone should be enough to know its probably a scam. Yet they have a long list of trailers for sale. Look a little further and its crystal clear. No address or phone. No posts. So anyone who misses that information is bound be be victimized at some point in their life, if not of Facebook then somewhere else.

BTW, the Facebook page includes what appears to be an endlist and repeating string of the photos. Looks like it was created by a bot.. so the scammers can automate the process and create as many fake pages as they wish with a few mouse clicks.
Old 02-03-2021, 09:48 AM   #26

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
We've got the same $800 Casita ad here in Minnesota. Pic looks kinda funny seeing as it is February and everything around here is covered in snow... you'd think a "dealer" would take a current picture for an ad lol.
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 07:08 PM   #27

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Probably the same Casita listed a few days ago on local tampa bay facebook marketplace for $800. I think it was a 2013?
Obvious scam. You were good to question the listing.
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 06:43 AM   #28

Name: Mo
Trailer: Looking to buy
Virginia
Scam800

Yes I this ad. It appears everywhere in the US.
Wanderfrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 06:45 AM   #29

Name: Mo
Trailer: Looking to buy
Virginia
Scam800

Yes I saw this ad. It appears everywhere in the US.
Wanderfrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 07:38 AM   #30

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderfrau View Post
Yes I this ad. It appears everywhere in the US.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderfrau View Post
Yes I saw this ad. It appears everywhere in the US.
When you leave out a word or make other typo it is better to edit the original post. You have hours to do that after which edits are no longer allowed allowed (except via a moderator). That is preferable to posting a second time with the correction. thanks
Old 02-13-2021, 02:34 PM   #31

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC View Post
Can someone explain how they get anything out of you in the scam short of robbing you if you meet with them.
They are not so much interested in meeting you as trying to get some of your personal information from you. It's called phishing I believe. That's why so many things Like cars, trucks, rv's and the tractors are being on Facebook Marketplace all over the country at cheap prices. Who was that guy that said ' there's a sucker born every minute'?
Robert Bu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 03:05 PM   #32

Name: Ray
Trailer: Holidaire
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Pittsburgh View Post
My opportunity to vent about Face Book. DON'T USE IT FOR ANYTHING!
We have 3 adult sons that use it. Their reasoning is that it is a means to communicate with friends and acquaintances, letting everyone know what they are up to.
My response to their lame excuse is no one cares. Do you really want yourself out there? And that doesn't even touch on the scammers, which, already have plenty of other avenues to prey upon people.

FINALLY, the voice of wisdom concerning Facebook. DON'T USE IT FOR ANYTHING!
matthfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 03:37 PM   #33

Name: William
Trailer: Looking
West Virginia
Same ad in West Virginia
Wilyumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 06:11 PM   #34

Name: Don
Trailer: Casita
Washington
I saw it too, FB was reliable in our area until the last year, it’s almost as bad as Craigslist is in our area. (Spokane)
Dwhowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 07:22 PM   #35

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
An even dozen

Ads all over Virginia, I told them I wanted a dozen at $800 each cash. Wanted to be rich, lol. Also reported them as scam at each site.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 10:07 AM   #36

Name: Jim
Trailer: In the market
Virginia
Fake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran L View Post
I ran across this listing for a Casita for $800 in Rio Rancho, NM on Facebook yesterday...it seems an unusually low price unless the trailer is a dog...
Thought I'd post the link in case this is a missing trailer or something...

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...84794894898290
I am very new here and have been shopping for a while now and ran across this ad in Craigslist and offer up. There are others for other brands as well. They request your email for pics.
Newby Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 06:16 PM   #37

Name: Frances
Trailer: Casita 17 Freedom Deluxe
Arizona
I’ve been scammed on FB before, I will never buy off Facebook ever again
FabulousFrankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 06:27 PM   #38

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Pittsburgh View Post
We have 3 adult sons that use it. Their reasoning is that it is a means to communicate with friends and acquaintances, letting everyone know what they are up to.

My response to their lame excuse is no one cares.
I use facebook like your sons use it.

We keep in touch with our friends, hang out in groups with similar interests (Discuss Scamp axles and repair experiences) and a lot of other stuff. I've even talked to people who worked on the Saturn V launch vehicles and they have given me information I had not been able to find anywhere else.

So, choose to not use it yourself, but getting all huffy and ALL CAPS about other people enjoying it seems a little childish. Also, saying your sons are using a "lame excuse" and telling them "no one cares" about their experiences is a poor way to parent in my opinion. I wonder if they ever talk to you anymore?
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 06:56 PM   #39

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC View Post
The main reason I didn't put too much time into looking for a used RV is the uncertainty of if it will still be there after a long drive to look at it, even if you will accept the asking price.
All my RVs, motorcycles, and cars in the last 20 years were bought long distance. I had a seller pick me up at Newark, NJ airport one time, brought my riding gear with me, and rode the motorcycle home. I used frequent flyer miles and had a round trip ticket just in case it didn't work out. I did the same on a motorcycle in Texas.

I drove 625 miles one way to pick up my Trillium. My Escape was "closer", only 425 miles.

If you want something hard to find, then the internet is a good place to find it. The same is true for selling. Using common sense is key. If I waited for a local buyer or seller, I might still be waiting.

As far as FB, it has allowed me to stay in touch with people I knew 40 years ago (moved several times throughout my career). Its a great tool, and like anything free, it has shortcomings too.

As for the original title of this thread: "Not sure this is legit or not", I would be interested in learning what aspects of this deal appear legit?
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 05:01 AM   #40

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry

Name:   SCAM.png
Views: 30
Size:  21.4 KB
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita