Not that you need a reason - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2016, 01:02 PM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Not that you need a reason

Not that you need a reason to buy an RV and hit the road but we stopped to for our annual physical in NC where our NH doctor moved. We told him we'd follow him where ever he went. We both use the same doctor.

He's a wonderful man in the New Bern, NC area. He always reminds us if we need anything medical while we're traveling to call him and he'll make an appropriate appointment for us. Just a great resource for people who've traveled 7 months a year for the last 16 years. In those years we've only used the service twice but it's comforting.

We are 74 now and had our best medical report since we've been traveling. We consider this amazing because we're really old. We both lost about 8 more pounds this year. Ginny continues doing her planks and we're both adding a yoga position, the downward facing dog. Ginny wants to increase her upper body strength and I'll be supporting her by doing it as well.

I'm amazed that at our age we continue to get better, and so is the doctor. He says few people are willing to try to change. The biggest miracle of the whole visit was that after testing Ginny's knees he said they seem to have recovered from when we started... Ginny's had knee issues for a couple of decades but hasn't been bothered in a long time.

The biggest disappointment was they stopped doing a PSA test (for Prostrate cancer). He says I'm too old. He says 70% of men who are 80 have Prostrate Cancer. In old people it grows slowly and the cure is worse than the disease. It was shocking to be told I'm too old to be cured. Oh well there is a message there.

Oh yes Ginny and I think one of the best things we ever did was buy a trailer and hit the road. We just completed this year's 7 month trip and are already planning next year's trip. Traveling together is stimulating in so many ways.

I received an email today and the writer was surprised about our recent trip to Jonesborough, TN "After all these years, you're still finding new and exciting places."

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 01:36 PM   #2

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Tennessee
Teresa and I, although not retired yet, went ahead and bought our retirement trailer and have started using it for long weekends and such. We have only taken a few short trips in it so far, but find that getting away from the distractions of home (television, dogs, phones, etc) allows us to communicate more and better.

And we also are much more active when we are out "camping". Our bikes always go with us, and we love just getting out and riding. And we definitely walk more.

We also socialize more when we are out, because it just seems that the folks that we encounter in campgrounds are just more friendly.

While we may never spend 7 months out of the year travelling, we have no doubt that much longer trips are in our future when we do retire.

When I first started looking at the smaller campers, I showed Teresa some of your posts, Norm and said look, this could be us when we retire. And fortunately she agreed.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 01:43 PM   #3

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Don't let them stop doing a PAP on Ginny. I had a friend diagnosed with cancer after insisting on getting the test (she was over whatever age they want to stop giving it.) Treated and cancer-free five years later.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 01:45 PM   #4

Name: Loly
Trailer: Currently researching
Florida
OH BOY this sounds so wonderful. My husband and I have retired early and looking forward to be able to purchase one and hit the road just like you folks. How wonderful to go out and experience the world and nature out there. And Norm and Ginny this is why you have stayed so young, this stress free lifestyle is what keeps us young and living a good life, and look at you two, doing your planks and yoga.. that is wonderful, I which I could say the same for me that is 61, but I do need to get to it. I can't wait to be able to get one, maybe one day hopefully in the near future. Meanwhile you guys keep on keeping on enjoying the road and your life.
Loly50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 02:18 PM   #5

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Hi Norm----I am so happy to hear that your physicals went well.....but not surprised! Both you and Ginny are so young at heart--with your hiking on trails, walking around your park, planking, etc...

And I'm doubly happy to learn that Ginny's knees are feeling great. Excellent news. That'll surely allow many more years of hiking!

Knowing "all is well" makes it so much more enjoyable to hitch up that trailer, doesn't it?
Say hi to Ginny from both of us!!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 03:33 PM   #6

Florida
Eastern TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregandTeresa View Post
Teresa and I, although not retired yet, went ahead and bought our retirement trailer and have started using it for long weekends and such. We have only taken a few short trips in it so far, but find that getting away from the distractions of home (television, dogs, phones, etc) allows us to communicate more and better.

And we also are much more active when we are out "camping". Our bikes always go with us, and we love just getting out and riding. And we definitely walk more.

We also socialize more when we are out, because it just seems that the folks that we encounter in campgrounds are just more friendly.

While we may never spend 7 months out of the year travelling, we have no doubt that much longer trips are in our future when we do retire.

When I first started looking at the smaller campers, I showed Teresa some of your posts, Norm and said look, this could be us when we retire. And fortunately she agreed.
We just spent two weeks near Jonesborough, TN and had a wonderful time. We hope to return next year on our way somewhere.

Glad that you found your trailer and are enjoying. I try to send the same message you did in your post. It has been an amazing lifestyle on many levels. Sometimes I think people hesitate to take a first step.

Last spring one of the Newfoundland Caravan members had an Escape 19, nice trailer and nicer people.

Have fun.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-18-2016, 03:37 PM   #7

Florida
Coming to FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by theresa p View Post
Hi Norm----I am so happy to hear that your physicals went well.....but not surprised! Both you and Ginny are so young at heart--with your hiking on trails, walking around your park, planking, etc...

And I'm doubly happy to learn that Ginny's knees are feeling great. Excellent news. That'll surely allow many more years of hiking!

Knowing "all is well" makes it so much more enjoyable to hitch up that trailer, doesn't it?
Say hi to Ginny from both of us!!
Theresa,

Are you coming to FL this winter?

It is great we're doing well but we never took up RVing expecting to really get better and really as we get older we hear and see less well but the internal body functions seem to be standing up well.

We don't mind being surprised by good numbers, though we also recognize that you never know what tomorrow will bring.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-18-2016, 03:56 PM   #8

Florida
Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
Don't let them stop doing a PAP on Ginny. I had a friend diagnosed with cancer after insisting on getting the test (she was over whatever age they want to stop giving it.) Treated and cancer-free five years later.
Ginny is very conscious of getting her Pap Test and Mammogram.

I was personally surprised by his answer to me about Prostrate Cancer. I was surprised how little I knew and that most men get it. However he physically tests me each year and everything's OK. We have been under his care for nearly two decades, a younger doctor, probably late 40s now. We trust him so much.

Ginny went in one day virtually unable to walk, thinking she needed a hip operation, seriously immobile, serious pain. He tested her hip joint said it was fine. He got down on the floor and did a plank. He said if she did one every night for 30 seconds she'd be well in 6 weeks. I smiled but it worked. We both do one plank every day, it's now been about 3 years and no hip issues for her. 30 seconds a day is a small price to pay, Ginny actually times hers.

This year Ginny said she wanted to increase her upper body strength, he suggested the downward facing dog, a yoga position. You know we'll do it and probably for many years.

Our health has really improved under his care, Ginny and I danced out of his office. Getting back on the road, two friends with another year of travels ahead of us.

Thanks for the good Pap test thought.

So often in life things seem impossible, I mean really positive change seems impossible. Maybe it's just 30 seconds a day of change that's necessary.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-19-2016, 10:35 AM   #9

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Can you describe "doing a plank?"

Thanks!
Kai
Old 10-19-2016, 10:54 AM   #10

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Tennessee
I googled it

GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 11:00 AM   #11

Name: Loly
Trailer: Currently researching
Florida
Greg and teresa planks are supposed to be the best exercise ever, they work your whole body, belly, arms, back, legs, glutes and who doesn't want toned glutes :0
Loly50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 02:38 PM   #12

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Thanks! Didn't even think about googling it. Good video, very clear.

Kai
Old 10-19-2016, 02:52 PM   #13

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Hi Norm and Ginny,

So wise of you to begin and continue yoga, and what a smart doctor you have to encourage it!

Cheers,
Ellpea
Old 10-19-2016, 08:23 PM   #14

Florida
Ellen, Any doctor who thinks buying an RV and hitting the road is good is the right doctor.

He s forever encouraging us to do this little thing and that little thing to make us better. Nothing too dramatic just small steps in the right direction.

When you're our age it s great to have an on call doctor as you travel the country. Not that we often needed him but comforting. We have his home and info contact with us at all times.

The yoga is for Ginny but I'll do it as well, RV teamwork.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Fiberglass RV mobile app

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-19-2016, 08:24 PM   #15

Florida
Sorry Ellpea it's spell check

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-19-2016, 09:01 PM   #16

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Sorry Ellpea it's spell check

Old 10-20-2016, 01:01 AM   #17

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
I think it might be mentally unhealthy to describe oneself as being "really old".
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 04:20 AM   #18

Name: Donna
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy
Florida
Talking you don't need a reason...

Good morning friends!
ohhh what wonderful stories & great tips you both have,& this one -was really great and so very encouraging! Thank you for sharing your lives and adventures here with us! I'm sure many, (we sure do) draw tremendous enthusiasm from following your travels. We're in the early stages-pre retirement,& bought our Lil Snoozy & enjoying making it our own. We're oh so ready for the trip to the first ever rally in South Carolina (upcoming in just over two weeks). Your doc sounds like a dream & of course, he's excited to have such proactive patients! You're great role models for all of us newbies & I just wanted to send warmest hugs & deep thanks to you!! Hope to meet you both one day!
DonnaMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 05:45 AM   #19

Florida
Reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
I think it might be mentally unhealthy to describe oneself as being "really old".
We're quite happy to be 'really old'. It started with our two boys, they never recognize that we are old. Of course they love our life and ache for our freedom.

I think it's important that people, particularly your children, recognize your reality. Parents need to prepare and children need to recognize that there's a point they need to step in and help out, physically and with decisions.

Our age doesn't stop or discourage us but rather it does remind us of our limitations.

Our doctor asked about our vision, wanting us to get an eye test every year. Ginny said our night vision was not as sharp and we generally avoid night driving. When we drive at night we both pay super attention and drive slower. (Though honestly Ginny always stays awake, night or day, and pays equal attention to traffic.)

The aging is interesting, some parts of us have degraded faster than we might have imagined, hearing and vision, others have gotten better, strength, knees and weight. The latter are something we've been able to do something about, that actually everyone can improve. It's nice to know everything is not out of one's ability. (Life is a series of choices, make good ones.)

Yesterday I spent an hour talking with a special human who knows a lot more than me about the state of the nation. His thoughts and comments left me spinning, actually all night spinning. Giving me all kinds of topics to investigate. One of the best parts of our lives is the opportunity to learn. Our road time has been marvelous thinking time. If I could reverse my life I would start off living in a small trailer. Better late than never.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-20-2016, 06:20 AM   #20

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Norm, I said it before and will say it again, you both are an inspiration. We are on a one way street, with everything that the term implies, and we owe ourselves and others to make the best of it.
Our doctor told me once, watch out for any fast change. Gradual aging is normal and we all do it at different rates. Eye checks, yes, every year! And ruminating on interesting ideas during our 12 hour long days keeps me awake and calm.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote