Not too Old to Learn! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2019, 08:15 AM   #1

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Not too Old to Learn!

I'm 69 and been camping my adult life.
Just went to the camper because too old/hurt too bad to continue sleeping on the ground/carrying my whole camp gear.
We went to NC for 2 days this past weekend to see DS and family. When I was making up the Snoozy bed (which I love for being the best sleep I can get with my back) I decided that to help DH- a S. FL born and raised guy who detests cold weather- I would have us sleep [B]on[B] the fleece blanket put over the bottom sheet. I meant to put another fleece blanket over the top sheet and under the comforter - but forgot. So atop was just the sheet and comforter.

It worked! We were very comfortable at night (of course I was plugging in the 200 watt heater also at night)

Even I found the bed much more comfie warm than just a bottom sheet and mattress cover at bedtime!

Still making discoveries in my old age!
Old 03-07-2019, 08:24 PM   #2

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Two inches of memory foam reflect even more heat than a fleece blanket. But the blanket certainly is less money.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 12:07 AM   #3

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Fleece blankets are like a cat's fur in the winter when they fluff themselves up. All those little air pockets hold in the heat. Of course down blankets work the same way with all that air in between the downy feathers.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 02:35 PM   #4

Name: Laura
Trailer: Escape 21' 2nd Gen, picked up on Black Friday 2016
Washington
OMG - love fleece!

Oh yes, I certainly do love fleece blankets. When we got our new Escape a friend made a double layer blanket for me to use when lounging on the dinette. Cat pattern, of course. It was made using the no-sew method.

Next time I saw the friend (she lives on the other side of the state from me, so I don't see her all the time), I asked her to show me how she made it.

OMG, I became addicted after making one stinking blanket. Yep, one blanket was all it took. Every time I visit we hit JoAnns and I come home with wads more material. As well as from my local stores. And some mail order places.

Yeah, addicted. Last year I took a 13 state trip and visited a lot of friends. I gifted each of them a blanket with either dogs, cats or horses on 'em. I've gifted other friends with blankets.

I've made so many of them we could survive by piling them up over us if the power went out during the winter for a long time. And there would still be blankets to spare, even after flinging some over the cats.

And yet more blankets were made. Did I say I was addicted? I ended up listing some on my Etsy shop (CritterClocks) as I have so many of those stinking blankets.

While I love the designs of some quilted blankets, I've never liked the weight of them. The fleece blankets keep me warm without lots of weight. I also have some single layer ones I use for when I need just a bit of warmth.

Here's some photos of the blankets I've kept for myself. if you wanna see the ones for sale, head to Etsy and type in my shop name.

Yeah, love these things!
Attached Thumbnails
cat collage blue splotches fabric.jpg   cat nap multi color paw prints.jpg  

realistic kittens leopard print.jpg   horses on blue wood background.jpg  

www.UnderKittySupervision.com
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 11:04 AM   #5

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Hi, MItzi!

I so hear you about continued learning! At 65, having recently broken a vertebra due to osteoporosis, I'm having to relearn almost every movement I make. Doesn't help that I now seem to be several inches shorter...and I was short already.

Pain is gradually fading and yesterday I worked out exactly how to get inside Peanut for the first time in three months, but how to sleep in Peanut is going to be a challenge. I was heartened to hear you have found such a great solution and have kept learning! Better believe I'll be incorporating your ideas as best I can!

BEST to you!

Kai
"K"
Old 03-21-2019, 03:13 PM   #6

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Making fleece blanket with kitties appears to be your catharsis. I like the one in the first photo the best; very tasteful!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:35 PM   #7

Name: Mary
Trailer: Looking....
Tx
Fleece blankets.

In case you've never noticed, cotton sheets, mattress pads and mattresses can feel cold. Foam or memory mattresses can also feel cold.
A fleece blanket or length of fleece from the fabric dept, then the sheet over it, makes things much warmer, and not clammy.
There are at least 3 different weights of fleece. Check at a fabric shop like JoAnns.

Easy to wash, too. Stopped using a top sheet, just the fleece blanket and a fluffy (store bought, polyester filling) quilt over that. I will admit, my truck has a good heater.
Krashdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 10:12 AM   #8

Name: Martha
Trailer: Currently shopping
Pennsylvania
Shhhhh don’t tell the quilter police but for the backing of the quilt tops I use the fleece. I’m happily with the work I put on the top and the comfort of the fleece. Shhhhh
Martha D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 11:29 AM   #9

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
For whatever it’s worth, flannel sheets are good too. We use them year around both in the house and in the trailer. Even the three extra bedrooms have flannel sheets.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 11:29 AM   #10

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
but...flannel is cotton and cotton kills!
not very cheap but another alternative is Celiant (tm) bedding.
https://www.amazon.com/celliant-shee...elliant+sheets

And the science of it. https://celliant.com
I do have a celliant mattress cover down also.
Old 04-26-2019, 11:42 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitzi Agnew-Giles View Post
but...flannel is cotton and cotton kills!

Celliant@ is the brand name for a bi-component fibre created using polyethylene terephthalate.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:42 PM   #12

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
no sew blankets

Well time for true confessions ... I am apparently one of very few on this forum that didn't have a clue what a no sew blanket is so I went out on the web and educated myself. What a great idea ! One I will put to work immediately ( it has the earmarks of something even a guy can do ). Thanks for sharing Lee
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 03:29 PM   #13

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I have difficulty carrying sheets, blanket, and comforters. I find it much easier to just carry 2 sleeping bags stuffed in their stuff bags. It's also easier to make the bed, put the be away and the dinette. As far as sleeping warm, I'm always warm in my sleeping bag. We also run the furnace at night with thermostat set to betwee 40° and 55°. No electricity in my trailer since the only time it's plugged is when it's in home nest.

As far as learning is concerned we learned a lot during out backpacking years and have lot of great memories. Making more all the time.
Old 04-26-2019, 07:35 PM   #14

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
There's nothing better than sleeping comfortable, however you decide THAT is what works for you.

I sleep in 600 count Egyptian cotton sheets, with an electric blanket (when hooked up to power). A comfy quilt or other topper over the bed when electricity isn't available.

Why? Because I earned it and I deserve it. I gave up sleeping bags when I gave up my tent. YMMV
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 10:26 PM   #15

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
Wink senior beds??

LOL I'm a healthy 74 and last summer was our first trailer camping season..already have 6 trips scheduled this year, beginning in 2 dys. WE sleep on 3" memory foam over our std cushions in the side-by-side [83"X31"] twin beds of our 2018 Casita Independence.....very comfortable. My body thermostat is set higher than the wife's, so I use far less "blanket" than she does..so we love the beds being separate. The only thing I don't like about them is they are too wide to use to sit on when we make up the dinette table top..so we bought 2 extra side cushions and double them up as backrests, when we sit at a table
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 08:21 AM   #16

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
We purchased a Travasak bedding system (sheets and comforter) some years back before the company folded and are fortunate to live just a few miles from Southern Mattress so have one of their 7" mattresses in the Scamp's upper berth. With Maxx vents (sadly, another discontinued product) on both windows and a Maxx fan plus the standard escape hatch over the bed, we're comfortable under most conditions. Admittedly, there is some discussion on who gets up first to get the furnace going on colder mornings.
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 02:28 PM   #17

Name: Donna
Trailer: Boler
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
There's nothing better than sleeping comfortable, however you decide THAT is what works for you.

I sleep in 600 count Egyptian cotton sheets, with an electric blanket (when hooked up to power). A comfy quilt or other topper over the bed when electricity isn't available.

Why? Because I earned it and I deserve it. I gave up sleeping bags when I gave up my tent. YMMV
Hi Donna

We need a mattress for our Boler, and I came across some message that had mentioned someone in Toronto that made them, I have searched and searched this website or forums and I cannot find it, could you please help me

Thanks so very much

Donna
Mysty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:14 AM   #18

Registry
cotton kills?

Kai
Old 05-02-2019, 09:19 AM   #19

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
cotton kills?

Kai
Maybe autocorrect or typo of pills?
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 09:37 AM   #20

Registry
600-count 100% Egyptian cotton sheets seldom pill! Oprah and Donna D use them. Nothing but the best...which they deserve!
Kai