Nova Scotia campgrounds - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2016, 08:40 AM   #1

Name: Alain
Trailer: Trillium 4500 / 1977
Quebec
Nova Scotia campgrounds

Hello everyone,

We need your help to find the best campgrounds in Nova Scotia.
We are looking for beautiful landscapes (sea / mountain) and quiet. We can camp independently without problem, so no matter if no services.

We will be two adults in our Trillium 4500 (15 ')
I await your advice and comments. We will keep you informed of our itinerary.

Thank you all and happy Easter holidays!
alaint621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 10:17 AM   #2

Name: Julie
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
Nova Scotia campgrounds

We have two favorite campgrounds in Nova Scotia, although we were tent camping at the time. Both also have RV sites.

1. Kejimkujik National Park Parks Canada - Kejimkujik National Park and National Historic Site - Kejimkujik National Park and National Historic Site of Canada

2. The other one was along the Shubenacadie canal. I can't remember the name of it. The campground itself wasn't so great, but we loved the location: next to the Shubenacadie canal (fun bicycle riding) and close to Halifax for touring.

We never made it to the Cape Breton Highlands, but I am sure the national park there is fabulous too. In fact, it is probably the BEST place for you. Parks Canada - Cape Breton Highlands National Park - Camping
Julie and Jose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 10:32 AM   #3

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
Do not miss cape Briton. We camped at Cheticamp just outside the park and we were within 100 yards of water and could see it too from trailer. We left trailer there for a few days and circled the park without the trailer. Could be real disadvantage trying to pull over or such on Cabot Trail. Other neat places a
Long east coast farther down bit Cabot trail is breathtaking.
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 12:08 PM   #4

Name: Lloyd
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
Nova Scotia
Registry
NS Campgrounds

Here is a link that should cover national and private campgrounds as well as many other attractions.
Doers & Dreamers Nova Scotia Travel E-Guide

The national parks are so popular that you should get reservations.

Check rallies and meets forum for details about the fiberglass rally in the Annapolis Valley in July.
Seagull42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 02:23 PM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
In Nova Scotia; we've RV camped near Truro, Middleton, Bridgewater, Lunenburg, Newport Corner, Antigonish, Boylston, North Sydney, Ingonish, Cape Smoky, Hammonde Plains, Upper Sackville, and have never been 'disappointed'. We prefer any campgrounds with a scenic view, and enjoyed the campground at Boylston Provincial Park in particular. Don't miss the seafood at the ???? 'Anchor' restaurant off highway 19 near Maybou on Cape Breton Island, and be sure to attend a 'Cayley' somewhere.
Old 03-28-2016, 10:14 AM   #6

Name: Alain
Trailer: Trillium 4500 / 1977
Quebec
Thank you very much to all of you for all that information!
We are finalizing our itinerary and I will post it soon.
Good camping season to all!
alaint621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 03:32 PM   #7

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Julie----I think the campground whose name you cannot remember is Shubie. It is a municipally-run, very popular campground and has a nice beach. It is on the canal and very handy Halifax's ferry as well as the bridges.

It is our "go-to" campground when we head to Halifax----one cannot beat the location. I am not sure what caused you to be disappointed but if it were me, I would not hesitate to contact the city of Dartmouth and voice my concerns.

And Alain----one cannot go wrong with any of the provincial parks. But reservations would be a really good idea, unless you plan on going in the shoulder or off seasons.
If I remember correctly, this year one can make reservations starting April 2.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 05:06 PM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Years ago we toured NS including Cape Breton during the last 2 weeks on August. We had no reservations anywhere, but being at the end of the season we had absolutely no problem getting sites anywhere. We camped in various Prov. Parks and in Cape Breton Natl Park, no hookups most of the time.
Very nice trip, beautiful scenery.
We stayed at 10 different CG in 14 days (more like a road trip!). I can list all of them if you want, and all the places we visited.
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 06:35 PM   #9

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Reservations may not be necessary for a one-night stay....but if one was interested in a longer stay, during peak summer time, they do "recommend" reservations. Better safe than sorry---if one happens to know their itinerary.

Either way, it'll be a wonderful trip. Alain----are you planning this to coincide with the Maritime Vintage Fiberglass Rally being held in NS the third weekend in July?? If not, perhaps you might decide to consider it.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 07:24 PM   #10

Name: Julie
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
Theresa,

Thanks for remembering the name! There was nothing really wrong with the campground. We just like more private and wooded sites. This one was just too wide open for our tastes. Now that we have our egg, it would probably be just fine. But we were tent camping back then. We had a fabulous time there and that is why I was trying to recommend it. And...it was probably 16 years ago LOL! In fact, I think it was the year of the first season of Survivor. There was a TV at a pavilion and everyone was watching the finale or something when we arrived...Memories are flooding back!

Julie
Julie and Jose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 01:27 AM   #11

Name: Morgyn
Trailer: Boler
Nova Scotia
Nova Scotia campgrounds

Any of our provincial parks are beautiful. Peak camping time you'll definitely want reservations. For a treat, if you can get reservations as they fill up fast, get a spot at Little Rissers. You'll be camping on a beach! Out of the way is Valleyview. Get a look off spot and enjoy the view. Same with Blomidon. Amazing views. NS is much more than Cape Breton. Shubie campground is a private run campground in Dartmouth. Just a few blocks over from me!

Editing to add: Valleyview is just that... an amazing view over the Annapolis Valley. It's one of our favourites as it has no amenities other than water taps and pit privies. It's away from most so it's usually quiet. Blomidon looks out over the basin so that is a beautiful view. And you can walk on the floor of the ocean when the tide is out. It's quite popular and is usually booked up full on nice weekends.

I could go on and on about our mainland provincial (and one national) parks!! I do have to admit that Cape Breton in the fall is THE place to be.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
morgynm is offline   Reply With Quote