NW Winter Camping - tell me I'm crazy! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-17-2010, 01:09 PM   #1

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Registry
NW Winter Camping - tell me I'm crazy!

Ok, so the lovely 2 week trip to California to celebrate a BIG birthday is likely going to be canceled do to sciatic pain - 2400 miles is just too much sitting in the car. It's a big disappointment, and part of the disappointment is we didn't do any fall camping due to preparations for the trip. Now I'm thinking, as I sit here on a sunny Oct. day (it WAS down to 36 last night), camping in the northwest the first week of November - hmmmmmm. I REALLY dislike being cold, but can stay cozy at night if the days are good. But then the days are also short here in the north.....and November is traditionally one of our rainiest months, but this has been an odd weather year. We'd likely go to the coast, avoiding mountain snows.

What are other's experience with winter camping. I know there's been some old posts about this.......

Penney

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Penney H. & Mike E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 02:06 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
This article is on the left side of page.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/winter_camping.html
Old 10-17-2010, 02:23 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Penney, it was a while back but I remember several members who purchased molded trailers specifically for winter camping... they were snow skiiers and were going to camp in the parking lot of the ski facilities. They were asking about how to insulate the floor areas... I remember a Scamp in particular. So no, you aren't crazy ;-)
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 04:57 PM   #4
Administrator

Trailer: Argosy
Registry
We camp in winter occasionally, but draw the line at towing in snow. Generally we will head for state parks and sites that have electric hookups. Heating the trailer with propane gets expensive in really cold weather. You might consider heading inland to avoid rain... Oregon State parks are fabulous.
Old 10-17-2010, 05:13 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Penney, we may give this a try ourselves---we've only camped in our Bean 3 times since getting it last a year ago Sept. Took it in to a friend's shop 4 weeks ago to have it painted and a few things "tweaked", and haven't seen it since! (OK, I've seen it, cuz I stopped by to pick out paint, etc. but you know what I mean!)

Anyway, I keep watching the beautiful fall weekends go by, and it's killing me! I've read the above mentioned article about cold weather camping twice, so I'm willing to give it a try when we get Bean back! (But I think I'll head alittle south of Nebraska to try it---maybe southern Missouri or Texas.) We'll see-----I just want my camper back!!!!!!!!
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 10:21 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
We camped in Minnesota the first weekend in October and the temp dipped to 30 degrees F. most of the night. We had found a campground with electric hookups and were cozy all night under a big quilt with the electric space heater running all night. If camping longer in cold weather I would make sure that the water tank is drained and the sink trap is drained or has antifreeze. We put drinking water in jugs. I would not want to be pulling the camper in snowy or icy conditions however.
BruceG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:07 AM   #7

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Registry
At this point thinking maybe camping part of our vacation, won't be like camping in CA! But we do like the WA coast in winter, maybe we'll get lucky and not have too much rain! I think a weekend would be okay, but not for 10+ days! We'll see what the weather does......

Donna, I would love to have a winterized trailer! My dream, when someone gives me lots of money, would be to buy a winterized Escape. Until then, will just snuggle under the covers and run the heater - not very efficient or 'green'. We do carry an electric heater for the reasons mentioned, quieter for when you need to run it all night.

Penney

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Penney H. & Mike E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:27 PM   #8

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp / Silver Ford 150
We've camped over to Buena Vista CO with the days in the teens and the nights colder, so we could snowshoe up that way. Lesson learned: Boiling water for pasta supper means icicles in the AM dripping on your head when you turn the heat back on. Also, don't expect to find too many outhouses unlocked at the few campgrounds that you can get into. And don't go onto the back roads too far, as you may not get out till spring! But it beats winter camping by a lot, and gives you a nice cozy base to come back to after a day of exploring the woods.

As Bruce says, water in jugs, and keep them in the trailer so they won't freeze too solid. Coleman stove for outdoor cooking. Bring a good book as you will want to get into the sleeping bag early, to get your feet off the floor. And bring a friend - two are always warmer than one.

And boy, is it nice to be able to just roll over and turn the furnace on in the AM! The season need not end, if you're careful with the driving.
barring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:24 AM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Unhappy Welcome to winter

Winter camping? We suffered 25º F temps at Bryce Canyon in mid July! Of course there was no snow because the days warmed nicely.

BTW Look at what Chicago is looking forward to:

Storm To Be Among Worst In 70 Years « CBS Chicago – News, Sports, Weather, Traffic, and the Best of Chicago

I often wonder if Boeing execs still think their move was a good idea.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:46 AM   #10

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
Winter camping can be pleasant and it can be awful, depending on what the weather throws at you. A couple years ago I was caught out in endless rain and 50 mph winds. Although the Bigfoot is a decent 4 seasons set-up, my awning tried to unfurl and a substantial amount of rain came in the refrigerator vent to get the floor wet. Most of the time California doesn't have serious freezing temperatures unless you go to the ski areas. Good idea to avoid extreme weather camping, if you can.
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:25 AM   #11

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Forget it---guess I'll wait till Spring! Sounds dreadful! Gotta go flip on my gas powered fireplace and watch the weather channel about Chicago!

Added:
Yikes! Watching the news-----everybody by careful today!
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:45 AM   #12

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe 2007 and 40' Allegro Bus
Send a message via AIM to RSchleder Send a message via Yahoo to RSchleder
OK, your nuts for camping in the winter!!
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:00 AM   #13

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
People do it all the time in Montana. It's called temporary housing.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:15 PM   #14

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
My brother live in Indianapolis, IN. and doesn't have a spare bedroom. We have spent a week in their driveway with night time temps at 3* and daytime temps at 18*. We were a toasty 70* in the trailer, with a couple gallons of RV anti freeze in each tank.
LSChilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 04:18 PM   #15

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
LSChilders:

You ever had a relative in Iowa City, IA?
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:24 PM   #16

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
one advantage to winter camping is that you can often enjoy your favorite campground free. Not all have gates. Many forest service campgrounds pull the toilet paper, lock the potti doors, shut off the water and allow nature to take the campground over until spring.

It is quite OK to use them, you just won't have any services and may have to clean your table and fire ring before you use them.

Of the 11 campgrounds I worked this summer on the McKenzie River, only 3 have gates. I closed down most campgrounds last month. 2 more close tomorrow, the one I lived in being one of them. It has a gate.

I leave here tomorrow for the desert, taking the coast route. I will stop in at ranger stations to find out which ones alon the way are not gated. They are happy to tell you.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:23 AM   #17

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndi B. View Post
LSChilders:

You ever had a relative in Iowa City, IA?

Nope, ... Sorry, .... I've only been there once, and no relatives
LSChilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:46 AM   #18

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
We've had some great week-ends in January and February. The furnace keeps us nice and warm. When the weather is sunny camp in sunny spot and enjoy. We spent about 4 days over the New Years holiday at the Oregon beach. One of our more fun trips. Pick a spot where there's a couple museums pretty close. Cold days can often be spent enjoying local museums.
Somebody mentioned staying is a place with electricity thinking it would be cheaper. My experience would indicate over wise. We generally camp in FS, NP campgrounds without hookups. With our Golden Age passports the average night costs less then $10.00. A place with hookups is generally at least $20.00. I can buy a lot of propane for the difference, about 1 tank a day.
The bottom line is don't let the weather stop you. Why do you have a trailer if it isn't to keep you warm and dry when the weather is nasty. Prepare for it warm clothes, hot drinks, and hot food. Bring along a couple good books, a few games, and topics of conversation.
Enjoy
Old 10-27-2010, 11:17 AM   #19

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Winter camping is great.....(of course winter camping here in Florida isn't quite the same thing as what you're talking about).

Byron, we just returned from a weekend at a beautiful Florida Forest Service park (Krul Lake Recreation Area), with full electric hook-ups and, with our half price discount, it was only $8.00 a night. There are very few parks here in Florida that don't have electricity, even at the less expensive places - probably because AC is so important most of the year. If I lived "out west," or in many areas of the North, I would have probably gotten a propane equipped camper, but around here, all-electric works out just fine, and they don't seem to charge much, (if any) extra, for it.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:32 PM   #20

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Ray I can honestly say I have never thought I would see Florida and the term winter camping used in the same discussion! ROFL What do you need to do to prep for such a trip. Turn the AC off? :-)
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote