Oh Joy! Corporate Names Inside National Parks - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2017, 12:56 PM   #1

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Oh Joy! Corporate Names Inside National Parks

Park Service Approves Policy That Allows Corporate Names Inside National Parks

While we were all snoozing in between Christmas and the new year, the National Park Service went ahead and approved revisions to its policy that will allow some corporate logos and signage within park boundaries in the country’s public places, despite public backlash against the idea. Some critics think this is a very bad, terrible, no good idea.

On Dec. 28, NPS announced that Director Jonathan Jarvis had signed and finalized revisions to Director’s Order #21, which lets parks recognize donors with labels on certain things, but would not let corporations or anyone else rename parks like Yellowstone or features like Old Faithful. No logos or ad language will be allowed either.

Advocacy group Public Citizen says this move is “disgraceful,” and allows our national parks to the sold to “the highest bidder.”

“Now that this policy has been finalized, park visitors soon could be greeted with various forms of advertisements, like a sign reading ‘brought to you by McDonald’s’ within a new visitor’s center at Yosemite, or ‘Budweiser’ in script on a park bench at Acadia,” says Kristen Strader, program coordinator for Public Citizen’s Commercial Alert program. More here
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 01:03 PM   #2

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
Wonder how much they will charge to put a corp. logo on a bison in Yellowstone?
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 01:05 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Isn't it too late?
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2017-01-08 at 11.03.54 AM.png  
Old 01-08-2017, 02:44 PM   #4

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
I have the feeling we ain't seen nothing yet.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 02:50 PM   #5

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Casita Independence "Callimachusita"
Ocean City, NJ
Hasn't Xanterra been doing this since the days of Fred Harvey and the Harvey Girls.
Pod Puppies: Josie and Frankie, Casita Kittens: Madison & Razzel & Mrs. Chow
librarianocnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 03:06 PM   #6

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Here is a paste from the Wikipedia page:
History

Evidence near the park suggests that Native Americans were the first to wander through the area. Around the turn of the 20th century, cattlemen from Cannonville and Henrieville used the basin as a winter pasture. In 1948 the National Geographic Society explored and photographed the area for a story that appeared in the September 1949 issue of National Geographic. They named the area Kodachrome Flat, after the then relatively new brand of Kodak film they used.[6] In 1962 the area was designated a state park. Fearing repercussions from the Kodak film company for using the name Kodachrome, the name was changed to Chimney Rock State Park, but renamed Kodachrome Basin a few years later with Kodak's permission.

My take on it is that the photographers were of the opinion that only Kodachrome film would do it justice, showing the amazing colors of the sandstone. You could say that the cat is out of the bag, and I agree that this should be one of very rare exceptions in naming whole parks. The future generations growing up only with digital photography will not know what Kodachrome was. We can tell them once that it translates to "Great color".

I don't have a problem with being informed who caters the food at the Old Faithful Lodge, or such, just don't put up big signs.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 03:32 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Old 01-08-2017, 03:39 PM   #8

Name: Eric
Trailer: Trillium
California
Mixed Feelings

I'm not a fan of this change in policy. However, I am a firm believer in public land (I lived in Yosemite Valley for nearly a decade) and I recognize that public lands require a lot of money to maintain and also correct previous poor decisions. I'm not discounting mismanagement of funds either. With that being said, I think that corporate partnerships can improve public land access and protection. If allowing corporate logos to appear in park newsletters or signs increases corporate funding, then great. I think logos can be presented in a manner that is tasteful and minimizes negative impacts. Will that happen? I'm not too confident. Unfortunately, I foresee the size of contributions will directly correlate with the size or amount of advertisement space.
BASE1360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 03:55 PM   #9

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
So what about the other way around? Anyone drive a Denali? How about a Sequoia?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 03:56 PM   #10
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
Hmmmm.....
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3940.jpg  
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 04:03 PM   #11

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Soon this will be nothing.
The political tides are driving the national lands towards getting the greatest profit, not protecting for future generations.
Quick buck and out
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 04:06 PM   #12

Name: Eric
Trailer: Trillium
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
So what about the other way around? Anyone drive a Denali? How about a Sequoia?
Indeed. On a similar note, the NPS screwed up big time when they allowed concessionaires to own trademarks of names used in public lands. For example, Delaware North Parks and Resorts owns the trademark to names such as Ahwahnee Hotel, Curry Village and other historic places within Yosemite National Park. I'm still reeling over that one. Hence my uneasiness with allowing corporate logos inside national parks.
BASE1360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 07:45 PM   #13

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
Soon this will be nothing.
The political tides are driving the national lands towards getting the greatest profit, not protecting for future generations.
Quick buck and out
There is much hyperbole and paranoia attached to this subject from extremists at both ends of the spectrum.

Reality is that federal lands will be protected, and used with great deference, especially our national parks. Good stewardship has been the hallmark since inception and will continue. There is about as much danger of irresponsible exploitation as there is of enforced Paganism, thus balance.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 07:51 PM   #14

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Hmm, soon we could have a second "Comerica Park" (in addition to the one where the Detroit Tigers play).
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote