OK What's the Deal - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 03:14 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
OK What's the Deal

Hi! I have been a lurker here for years. Had just about made up my mind to get a Casita Liberty next spring. Came back here and started to read about the "Lil Snoozy". I like it better than the Casita. Showed it to Hubby he really likes it too. Then I started searching online for things about it and basically found a lot of people named either Alan or Nic on alot of the RV sites talking up the Lil Snoozy. Then I found out that the owners names are? What do you know, Alan and Nic. Does this sound fishy to anyone else? Below are examples of what I mean.

Here's an article that names the owners.
Alan Smoak builds small, lightweight, fiberglass "Lil Snoozy" camper trailer | RV News from RVBasics .com

Here's a talkup by Alan followed by someone named Nic.
RV waste handling systems - Roaming Times.

Heck even someone named Alan Smo has the same talkup on this site.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ozy-44590.html

I like this camper, I like that it's made in the USA. My husband had just about gave the go ahead to order one, dang it. What I don't like is the questional business dealings and should I trust them. This just appears really shady. Has anyone else noticed?
Old 07-25-2011, 03:49 PM   #2

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
The owner is a member here. Why not ask him directly? He was at one of the rallies a week ago with one of his campers. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rum-44697.html

One of the members here is buying one too. She offered to let people look at it when she gets it in a week too, but Williamsburg, VA is a ways from you.

Frankly, if I were I in the market for a new camper, I would have no issues ordering this camper. Within the parameters of their camper, they will make it the way you want it too, except for propane. They will put in the propane but not hook it up.

CindyL
Old 07-25-2011, 04:02 PM   #3

Name: Sheryl
Trailer: '99 Casita 17'LD
Montana
Registry
These guys have been upfront about who they are and have answered great questions... but I can see how you might have thought it odd if you hadn't been following the recent discussions.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:13 PM   #4

Name: Alex
Trailer: In the market
Hawaii
I've done a lot in my trailer research. I haven't dug down that far yet, but I could see where you would be concerned. If it is the two owners 'working together' to promote their trailer in that fashion, then that is extremely dishonest. When I think of that, I think of someone putting an item on ebay, where they then use a different account to bid on the item to bring up the price.

I'm not saying that is what they are doing, but if so
Old 07-25-2011, 04:22 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
One thing I didn't see mentioned is that Lil Snoozy is a brand new trailer manufacturer so there are very few people out there to talk it up.

Bill K
Old 07-25-2011, 04:31 PM   #6

I have read their replies on here, that's what I started to like about the product. But then I found these "talk-ups" over the net on various RV sites and it just gave me the willies. I'm just not sure I want to trust that amount of money to a company who starts out their business doing it this way. It just seems dishonest, if this is them.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:40 PM   #7

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Standard Practices

It is not unusual for an owner, employees and the like to begin promotion, particularly of new products, by writing articles or having articles written. As well, many articles one sees written are rewards for advertising.

I do like the idea that some one is adding a new dimension to fiberglass trailers though I am not a fan of propaneless trailers, though apparantly a propane system is available as an unconnected option.

When I look at any trailer, and more so after owning a specific trailer, the deficiencies leap out. Sometimes it's almost like the manufacturers have never lived in or traveled in their rigs for an extended period.

The small things that make living on the road easy are so often missing.

This week I had the opportunity to see an Eggcamper. It had the smallest electric only fridge I've ever seen. The owner had a second fridge plugged in outside his eggcamper.

When I look at a trailer I try to consider what I'm going to use it for, followed by a list of what I need to take with me, and what provision has the manufacturer made for the stuff one needs to bring.

So often RVs are not ready for living.

Lil Snoozy is the new kid on the block. I wish the company success and hope they grow and expand the industry.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:47 PM   #8

Name: Alex
Trailer: In the market
Hawaii
I agree that a company writing articles and such is fine, and encouraged to get their name out there. What Angie is concerned about is this tidbit from her second link.

"The I-Camp looks really nice but after looking at a new all American camper,The LiL Snoozy built down in South carolina I'll wait for the LiL Snoozy. It is a family run business. The campers are actually hand built by a father and son team and thier design is out of this world. We were only able to see the prototype and I ordered one on the spot. The quality is unreal and the floor plan designed by the old man with many years of camping under his belt is actually comfortable to spend time in on a rainy day if needed. At under 1500 lbs and a aero shape that looks like the nose cone off a jet i know it will pull nice. They spent a lot of money on the fiberglass molds and wooo what a finish. If any one is interested thier number is 803-655-5336"

That was posted by 'Alan'. And then this posted by 'Nic'.

"It is not the quality "Dr. R Alderman" it is the principle of purchasing something made in a country other than the US. Americans need jobs; we have ourselves to worry about. I am personally in favor of the LiL Snoozy as well. After reading Alan's post I checked them out. The owners allowed me to "test drive" the prototype behind my Accord. I knew it was there but the camper was rock solid stable, and my car had no problems pulling it. I have assurances that the RV I ordered will tow even better, the prototype is just that, a test bed. EXELLENT down to earth people, the true embodiment of an AMERICAN company!"
Old 07-25-2011, 04:54 PM   #9

Florida
Another rule of promotion, is the wilder the statement the more the press. I personally believe 'value will win out' with or without hype. Sometimes it just takes a little longer.

This weekend at the PEI rally I wondered why Boler did not suceed as a company. There was much to admire in these little rigs and as well in the larger Bolers.

Simply walking about the many rigs and their modifictions for use would give a manufacturer a head start on creating a useful rig.

Maybe we need a Trailer consumers reports.

Norm
Old 07-25-2011, 04:58 PM   #10

Alex, Exactly! It appears like they are acting like customers.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:59 PM   #11

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie2B View Post
Hi! I have been a lurker here for years. Had just about made up my mind to get a Casita Liberty next spring. Came back here and started to read about the "Lil Snoozy". I like it better than the Casita. Showed it to Hubby he really likes it too. Then I started searching online for things about it and basically found a lot of people named either Alan or Nic on alot of the RV sites talking up the Lil Snoozy. Then I found out that the owners names are? What do you know, Alan and Nic. Does this sound fishy to anyone else? Below are examples of what I mean.

Here's an article that names the owners.
Alan Smoak builds small, lightweight, fiberglass "Lil Snoozy" camper trailer | RV News from RVBasics .com

Here's a talkup by Alan followed by someone named Nic.
RV waste handling systems - Roaming Times.

Heck even someone named Alan Smo has the same talkup on this site.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ozy-44590.html

I like this camper, I like that it's made in the USA. My husband had just about gave the go ahead to order one, dang it. What I don't like is the questional business dealings and should I trust them. This just appears really shady. Has anyone else noticed?
Add this to the response made when the aerodynamics were questioned, make you wonder about doing business with them alright.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:17 PM   #12

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Here's "Alan Smo's" profile as a trailer "owner" here at FGRV...:alan smo's Trailer :: "LiL Snoozy"
Old 07-25-2011, 05:37 PM   #13

The Demand Grows for Lightweight Travel Trailers

Look at the very last comment on this one. He lists his name as Allen Smoak!!

"Alan Smoak 8 months ago
Has any one sen or heard of the 'LIL Snoozy'. I saw one on the interstate when I was down in SC and the only thing I can find out it is in prototype stage now and will be available in January. It looked realy cool."
Old 07-25-2011, 05:39 PM   #14

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
The shape of that thing will take some getting used to.....looks like a cartop luggage carrier on a boat trailer to me.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:04 PM   #15

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All...There's a certain amount of puffery allowed in any sales spiel, but you can usually tell when something just ain't kosher!!!
My greatest reason for owning an Escape trailer is the folks who build 'em... really use 'em!!! They try out all models at different rallys and have actually provided service calls while there. Their trailer of choice seems to be the 5.0...and I can certainly see why???
I'm sure it was hard for Reace& Tammy to start from scratch, to build a fiberglass trailer, but their original precept is still valid. Build a quality trailer the way the customer wants it so they don't have to do modifications to use it!!! Pretty simple if you ask me.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 07-25-2011, 06:06 PM   #16

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Standard Practices
It is not unusual for an owner, employees and the like to begin promotion, particularly of new products, by writing articles or having articles written. As well, many articles one sees written are rewards for advertising.
But, Norm...

Surely you don't mean to say that masquerading as a satisfied customer/potential owner is the kind of "standard practice" one ought to engage in?
Isn't that an intended deception?
Or more plainly, an outright lie?
I wouldn't like to think that FGRV would encourage or condone that kind of practice.

Francesca
Old 07-25-2011, 06:21 PM   #17

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
I have to wonder if this wasn't all intended a little "Tongue in Cheek"?
It is not very well done and not too clever if not.
It is all such a thinly veiled Smaok & Mirror that I have to think it just falls in the No such thing as bad publicity camp?
Old 07-25-2011, 06:33 PM   #18

I happen to believe that a certain amount of trust is needed to invest money in a product. You have to trust that things are on the up and up and that companys are who they say they are and will do what they say they will do. "Tongue and Cheek?" I'm not willing to take a chance on this.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:35 PM   #19

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
But, Norm...

Surely you don't mean to say that masquerading as a satisfied customer/potential owner is the kind of "standard practice" one ought to engage in?
Isn't that an intended deception?
Or more plainly, an outright lie?
I wouldn't like to think that FGRV would encourage or condone that kind of practice.

Francesca
I'm not trying to define what ought to be, but rather to mention that more frequently than not happens. Buyer beware has been a warning for smart customers for centuries. Beware = be aware.

Norm
Old 07-25-2011, 06:45 PM   #20

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
The aforementioned pattern of posts had me doubting, some 5 months ago, whether such a trailer would actually be produced. They certainly have proven that they are serious, though, and the trailers are real.

Speaking in general terms, if a company does things that I think are underhanded, how badly do I want their product? And what else about the product or warranty service might they be less than forthcoming about? I think a company should try to demonstrate high integrity... if not for integrity's sake, then at least for the sake of maximizing consumer confidence.

But as far as Smoakin Concepts is concerned, I'd like to think that there must be a reasonable explanation for all this and that we will hear the explanation soon from them.
Closed Thread