Okay, EZ up weighs a ton and I don't - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-12-2009, 09:22 AM   #1

Trailer: 1973 Compact II
To help solve the problem in an earlier topic of mine about dirty dogs, I ordered Cabela's on-sale 10 by 10 EZ up canopy and Walmart had the fitting screen room to drape over for less than $30.

Yesterday the canopy arrived and I could barely drag the box with open ends in the house from the porch. One end had the wheels sticking out for "easy" buying and taking to one's car in a store parking lot. How on earth am I going to set this up at a campsite so dogs have a place to be? I am a 5 foot 1 inch tall woman and not a weight lifter or any other kind of athlete.

Is this impossible? Thanks, Pat
Pat Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:02 AM   #2

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Deluxe ('The White House')
Man... if it is THAT heavy, I would consider making a dolly with LARGE swivel castors ... put the heavy end on the dolly, and pull it along.
Weinel, Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:10 AM   #3

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 17 ft.5 ft
I have a similar product and its best to have 2 people to put it up.You should practice setting it up at home before taking it out.
Bill
Bill A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:21 AM   #4

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
For one, it is not easy yet not impossible.

The frame comes out of the case and you will have to make a few trips around to get all 4 corners in the right position. It might help to lightly peg one leg in position just to act as the second person holding it. Don't open it up all the way till you get the roof laid over the top. (take pictures of how you unfold the roof and sides, because believe me you will forget how it all folds back up).

Then you can go around the corners one more time till the frame is taught and the upper connectors click into place. Now you can do your velcro before you lift the roof up. It is also a good time to put your sides in place but don't zip it up all the way yet, just enough to start the first foot or so down from the top. Undo the guy ropes at the 4 corners now while you can reach them.

You can lift it, one side then the other to the first click on the legs. Step on the foot while lifting the outer pole.
Then zip it all the way up and put the pegs in your 4 corner feet. Then you can do the final lift to adjust the height as required. Peg the outer walls and your guy lines.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:37 AM   #5

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
I bought an aluminum one that weighs 20-25 lbs. I have upper body limits so I have to consider how much things weigh. I can set it up by myself using the method Roy describes.

I bought it several years ago at Target but no longer see it on their website.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:42 AM   #6

Trailer: 1981 Boler 13 ft / 2005 Dodge Caravan
Registry
Quote:
To help solve the problem in an earlier topic of mine about dirty dogs, I ordered Cabela's on-sale 10 by 10 EZ up canopy and Walmart had the fitting screen room to drape over for less than $30.

Yesterday the canopy arrived and I could barely drag the box with open ends in the house from the porch. One end had the wheels sticking out for "easy" buying and taking to one's car in a store parking lot. How on earth am I going to set this up at a campsite so dogs have a place to be? I am a 5 foot 1 inch tall woman and not a weight lifter or any other kind of athlete.

Is this impossible? Thanks, Pat
Hi Pat.We purchased a first up and at first thought it impossible to put up.After practicing with it at home it now is no problem.The only thing I would suggest is to ask someone camping near you to assist with the set up of the frame.I goes up quit easilly with two people but is a snap to put up with four people one on each corner.We have found other campers quite willing to give us a hand.It only takes a couple of minutes.Once the frame is streatched into place the rest goes up quickly..We really like ours and have purchased the wind curtain as well as the screen.Great on windy or rainy days.....Pat C.
Attached Images

Pat C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:52 AM   #7

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
I have the 10 x 10 EZ up and would recommend you take it back and get something lighter and easier to handle. I'm a pretty big guy and in good shape and I still like to have someone help me with the EZ up. We used to have a light, cheap, screen room that wasn't built nearly as well as the EZ up, but at least one person could manage it. It only lasted a couple of years before the screen was so ripped up that we had to throw it out, but it was much more manageable.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 01:30 PM   #8

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Pat, I feel your pain! I too bought an ezeeee up! Not so easy! I don't care what they say! That's not to say with practice it won't become easier, but our first outing with it, took a bunch of people helping get the sucker up. Not that the down pour and the fact that we had consumed a few cocktails helped the situation. But believe me, hours before Martini's a couple of us tried and were unsuccessful. It is very heavy even for me, Dh is no help with his health issues. But more often than not, we camp with others so I am gonna keep it for those times when an army of people can help me get it up because once up, it's the best awning I have ever used! We had storms the whole week we camped with it, and never once did I feel like it was gonna colapse/break etc. But I am gonna keep looking for a simpler solution for the times its just Dh and I camping. Good Luck! Robin
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 03:17 PM   #9

Trailer: 1970 Campster
Hi Pat,

I too recently tried to set up a simular canopy by myself at a campground and ending up enlisting the aid of a couple that I was camping with. One thing that I learned is that the first time you set it up is definitely the most difficult because the joint mechanisms are not used to being moved. . . it was quite tight and stiff. After enjoying the screen room for several days I decided that I would try to take it down all by my lonesome while my friends took down their camp. I ended up walking around the legs numerous times lowering them one notch at a time. It was time consuming but easy enough to accomplish alone. I was quite pleased with myself upon doing so and found that I could leave the canopy top on the frame so set-up would be easier the next time (especially if you are vertically-challenged and alone!) As others have suggested, it would behoove you to practice setting up your canopy at home several times in advance of your trip for two reasons: 1) You will become more familiar with the process and develop your own strategy for setting it up and taking it down; and, 2) The frame will become more flexible and responsive to your working with it.

Don't give up. You will love having the canopy once you master it. It makes a great, bug-free kitchen or living area.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 03:27 PM   #10

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I would probably think about returning it and going with something easier to handle. I like the looks of the Northern Breeze screen tent. Expensive but well reviewed and very versatile. On the other hand, if your dogs might be hard on it, maybe a cheaper one at least at first...

For me, I'd hate to have a screen tent that I had to have help to put up; I like to feel more self-sufficient unless it's something where there is no alternative.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:21 PM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
EZ-UPs are a pain to put up until used a few times as others have mentioned. The first few times I used mine, I considered it an exercise routine... and needed a few cool beverages when I was done. Fortunately, or unfortunately as the case may be, it's now loose enough it goes up pretty easy.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 07:40 PM   #12

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I don't see the putting up as a big problem just a little pain for one person.

I like the idea of an EZup but didn't purchase one as it is too heavy to lift in and out of wherever you store it.

I too am not a weight lifter.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote