Old Subject - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2008, 04:39 PM   #21

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
. . . Electric cars are going to save fuel but maybe create piles of old batteries . . .
Not really. The plastic shells of the batteries generally wind up in landfills, but recycling of the metals inside is one of the biggest recycling & toxic waste management success stories. Better than 98% of all car batteries are recycled, compared to something in the 60% range for aluminum cans, and the recycling rate for hybrid and electric cars where the batteries will almost always be replaced at a dealer or other facility that routinely recycles is expected to be even higher. We create more toxic waste disposing of batteries for our flashlights and electronics than we do our automobiles.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 05:13 PM   #22

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
I was planning a trip to Alaska as soon as school is out but I think that it is now on hold. I figured that fuel was going to cost about $2500.00 for the trip at present prices. I don't know if I can afford anymore and have a good time.
The enviromentalists and libs have been saying that we need to be paying $5.00 a gallon for gas for years. I guess their wish is coming true.
John
I firmly beleive gas prices will continue to climb----If you want to go to Alaska, go now while you can.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:44 PM   #23

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Quote:
I firmly beleive gas prices will continue to climb----If you want to go to Alaska, go now while you can.
Thanks for the advice Chester and Joy. I am considering it.
I would like to make a comment on what, in my opinion, is the falacy of the electric car.
You are moving the emissions from the tail pipe to a, possibly, coal fired generating plant in the desert somewhere. Doesn't seem to make much sense to me from an emissions standpoint or an efficient use of the generated electricity.
If the electricity came from a Nuclear generating plant the had no emissions then I could see the use of an inefficient electric vehicle that produced no tail pipe emissions. Of course if we end up with to many electric vehicles then we need to be concerned about the explosive gases released from the batteries during the charging process.
It is unfortunate that some in this country are not as advanced in their thinking as the French who receive app. 70% of their electricity from Nuclear generating plants.

John
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 12:27 AM   #24

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
<span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%">Bad press opinions have long life here. Nuclear Power Plants or Diesels Cars are good examples. Friend of mine used to work for Bechtel Corp. and was involved in designing one of the nuclear power plants in France. I remember his negative comments about French engineers requiring five levels of safety loops (expensive). Chernobyl had two safety loops and due to two human mistakes the meltdown tragedy happened. Lack of acceptability of nuclear energy generation in US is purely political, France is a good example that it can be done successfully. </span>

<span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%">George. </span>

GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote