Older than dirt - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2007, 11:59 AM   #81

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

"wing vent windows"
"under dash A/C"

Shucks got'em both in one car...... Larry (of course, ya gotta realize, I'm still living in the 60's)
Attached Thumbnails
65_El_Camino.jpg  
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 12:08 PM   #82

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
"wing vent windows"
"under dash A/C"

Shucks got'em both in one car...... Larry (of course, ya gotta realize, I'm still living in the 60's)
Nice picture of the NOG at Waterloo.

Nice El Camino too, and it sounds mean.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:32 PM   #83

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Sunday morning Porter Wagner shows. Gosh, how I hated my Sunday morning TV being flipped over to that.

Watching Bonanza while eating popcorn.

Mom's huffing at the outfits on Star Trek.

Running to get off the bus to catch as much of Dark Shadows as I could.

CindyL
Old 11-07-2007, 02:58 PM   #84

Registry
Then there was the "crooners".
Old 11-07-2007, 03:02 PM   #85

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Watching Bonanza while eating popcorn and a glass of kool aid --------------THE BEST-------------
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 03:15 PM   #86

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Running to get off the bus to catch as much of Dark Shadows as I could.

CindyL
Dark Shadows
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 03:55 PM   #87

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Hand coffee grinders. My great grandmother had one on her back porch and it always smelled sooooo good!

Click image for larger version

Name:	coffee_grinder.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	10785

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 03:59 PM   #88

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Art deco buildings...

Name:   200px_Woodbury_county_courthouse.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  13.8 KB

(The Woodbury County Courthouse in Sioux City, IA where I grew up..)

Roger

(on edit... the courthouse is actually a Prairie Style building, but...)
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 04:12 PM   #89

Registry
I remember cranking on one of these.

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Old 11-07-2007, 05:00 PM   #90

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft ('The Pod')
Quote:
I remember cranking on one of these.
Is that a cream separator?
Vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 05:06 PM   #91

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft ('The Pod')
Roger H.,

Do you remember Neisner Brothers Dime Store in Sioux City? (Not sure about the spelling)
Vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 05:14 PM   #92

Registry
How about cranking a corn sheller?

And cutting sweet corn off the cob? My parents made me do it with fresh sweet corn, because Mom had a recipe that Dad loved that tasted like corn-on-the-cob. What a mess! I used to take a garbage bag and cut head and arm holes and wear this to keep from getting covered with the juice.

CindyL
Attached Thumbnails
corn_sheller.jpg  
Old 11-07-2007, 05:20 PM   #93

Registry
Quote:
Is that a cream separator?
Yup
Old 11-07-2007, 05:42 PM   #94

Registry
Quote:
How about cranking a corn sheller?
I used to take a [b]garbage bag and cut head and arm holes and wear this to keep from getting covered with the juice.
CindyL
Plastic garbage bag? Those are pretty new fangled aren't they?
Old 11-07-2007, 06:51 PM   #95

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Most of this stuff is from my parents' generation, not mine... and in most cases I'm thankful for that!

It seems that just about anything de Havilland was good, and some are still going strong... including many Beavers, some getting converted to turbine engines. The ever-popular Twin Otter is even going back into production (by Viking), four decades after its original introduction... some ideas are worth keeping around for the next generation.

The single-engine Otter is largest aircraft I have ever taken the controls of, although only for a few moments, so it is an old thing in my past... but it's not gone!
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 07:47 PM   #96

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Quote:
Watching Bonanza while eating popcorn and a glass of kool aid --------------THE BEST-------------
oh oh! Getting to stay up past bedtime once a year to watch The Wizard of Oz while laying on the living room floor... in my Jammies with the Feetsies!!!

Do kids even watch the Wizard of Oz anymore?

(SHHH!!! Don't tell the monkeys!)
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 07:52 PM   #97

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
And, we should all be reminded, we had it easy!

Quote:
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
Aye, very passable, that, very passable bit of risotto.
SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
Nothing like a good glass of Château de Chasselas, eh, Josiah?
THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
You're right there, Obadiah.
FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
Who'd have thought thirty year ago we'd all be sittin' here drinking Château de Chasselas, eh?
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
In them days we was glad to have the price of a cup o' tea.
SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
A cup o' cold tea.
FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
Without milk or sugar.
THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
Or tea.
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
In a cracked cup, an' all.
FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
Oh, we never had a cup. We used to have to drink out of a rolled up newspaper.
SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
The best we could manage was to suck on a piece of damp cloth.
THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
But you know, we were happy in those days, though we were poor.
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
Because we were poor. My old Dad used to say to me, "Money doesn't buy you happiness, son".
FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
Aye, 'e was right.
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
Aye, 'e was.
FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
I was happier then and I had nothin'. We used to live in this tiny old house with great big holes in the roof.
SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
House! You were lucky to live in a house! We used to live in one room, all twenty-six of us, no furniture, 'alf the floor was missing, and we were all 'uddled together in one corner for fear of falling.
THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
Eh, you were lucky to have a room! We used to have to live in t' corridor!
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
Oh, we used to dream of livin' in a corridor! Would ha' been a palace to us. We used to live in an old water tank on a rubbish tip. We got woke up every morning by having a load of rotting fish dumped all over us! House? Huh.
FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
Well, when I say 'house' it was only a hole in the ground covered by a sheet of tarpaulin, but it was a house to us.
SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
We were evicted from our 'ole in the ground; we 'ad to go and live in a lake.
THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
You were lucky to have a lake! There were a hundred and fifty of us living in t' shoebox in t' middle o' road.
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
Cardboard box?
THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
Aye.
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
You were lucky. We lived for three months in a paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six in the morning, clean the paper bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down t' mill, fourteen hours a day, week-in week-out, for sixpence a week, and when we got home our Dad would thrash us to sleep wi' his belt.
SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
Luxury. We used to have to get out of the lake at six o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of 'ot gravel, work twenty hour day at mill for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would thrash us to sleep with a broken bottle, if we were lucky!
THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
Well, of course, we had it tough. We used to 'ave to get up out of shoebox at twelve o'clock at night and lick road clean wit' tongue. We had two bits of cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at mill for sixpence every four years, and when we got home our Dad would slice us in two wit' bread knife.
FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah.
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
And you try and tell the young people of today that ..... they won't believe you.
ALL(shaking heads in unison):
Nope….They won't!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 07:55 PM   #98

Registry
Well, Dark Shadows ran from '66 to '71. I graduated from HS in '72, so garbage bags were obviously before then. I think I did this in junior high school.

OK, I remember my mother switching over my Sat. AM cartoons when I was really young, so she could watch American Bandstand. Little did I know when I threw my fits about losing my cartoons that I would eventually watch it too.

CindyL
Old 11-07-2007, 08:22 PM   #99

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
Let’s Dance

I am so old that the Top 40 of my youth includes new songs by Elvis, Perry Como and The Carpenters: “When I was young I’d listen to the radio, waiting for my favourite song. When it played, I’d sing along.”

David Bowie doesn’t seem very happy about it, but suggests, “Let's dance. Put on your red shoes and dance the blues. Let's dance to the song they're playin' on the radio.” And then there’s empty rooms and fear and trembling flowers and the serious moonlight.

I recalled 70s pop as more upbeat than Stevie Wonder’s “So boogie on reggae woman. What is wrong with you? Boogie on reggae woman.What you tryin’ to do?” I believe she is dancing, as you have advised her to do.

Here’s another cheery upbeat song for your weekend of youthful fun: “Another Saturday night and I ain’t got nobody. I’ve got some money cause I just got paid. Now how I wish I had someone to talk to, I’m in an awful way.

“Another fella told me he had a sister who looked just fine. Instead of bein’ my deliverance, she had a strange resemblance to a cat named Frankenstein.”

Maybe Cat Stevens was talking about Janis Ian? “I learned the truth at seventeen, that love was meant for beauty queens. And high school girls with clear-skinned smiles who married young and then retired.

“The valentines I never knew, the Friday night charades of youth, were spent on one more beautiful. At seventeen I learned the truth. And those of us with ravaged faces, lacking in the social graces, desperately remained at home, inventing lovers on the phone who called to say, ‘Come dance with me,’ and murmured vague obscenities. It isn't all it seems, at seventeen.” Well, boy howdy! -- that’s depressing.

Here’s a favourite Top 40 radio sing-along song. Try for a twangy/whiny tone and harmonize with your girlfriends for the chorus: “I realized the way your eyes deceived me, with tender looks that I mistook for love. So take away the flowers that you gave me, and send the kind that you remind me of.... Paper Roses! Paper Roses! Oh how real those roses seemed to be. But they're only imitation, like your im-i-ta-tion love for meeeeeeee.” Poor Marie Osmond!

Now, these days we would call this a Dysfunctional Relationship: “Don't ya love her madly, don't ya need her badly, don't ya love her ways. Tell me what you say. Don't ya love her madly, wanna be her daddy? Don't ya love her face, don't ya love her as she's walkin' out the door. Like she did one thousand times before.” Although The Doors may not have known it at the time, it likely was a floral issue -- trembling, possibly, or cellulose-based.

Now, this one was really fun to dance to, especially if you didn’t have a clue what the lyrics were. Thank goodness for Chrissie Hynde. “Got in the house like a pigeon from hell, oh oh oh oh. Threw sand in our eyes and descended like flies. Put us back on the train. Oh, back on the chain gang.

“The powers that be that force us to live like we do, bring me to my knees when I see what they’ve done to you. Knowing that deep in my heart, they’ll fall to ruin one day for making us part. I found a picture of you, oh oh oh oh. Those were the happiest days of my life, like a break in the battle was your part, oh oh oh oh. In the wretched life of a lonely heart.” Woomp, ha!

And to end the 70s on an upbeat, here’s Marianne Faithfull’s sweet tune. “Lose your father, your husband, your mother, your children. What are you dying for ? It’s not my reality. It’s just an old war, not even a cold war. Don’t say it in Russian, don’t say it in German. Say it in broken English. Say it in broken English.”

Oh, what the heck. Forget about the lyrics, lighten up and let’s dance! Take it, KC!
Get down, get down, get down, get down, get down tonight baby.

-30-
CharlynnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 08:46 PM   #100

Trailer: Boler 1984
Holly Molly Larry a radio she says. Why all we had was a jaw harp and an old mouth organ that only played three notes and they all sounded the same. Down t' the store you could hear Rudy in th' Vallee by his crystal set if'n the cloud were'nt over the clothes hanger antennae.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote