Older than dirt - Page 8 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2007, 09:08 AM   #141
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Vent windows! How I miss them...
I thought those were called "wind wings."
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 09:49 AM   #142

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
Oh yeah, vent wings - I don't miss them very much, but I do miss my first car ('51 vintage).
Attached Thumbnails
Me_and_my_Rover_75_edited_2.jpg  
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:29 AM   #143

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

I just found this up in my attic...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dial_Telephone.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	11650

Do people still call it "Dialing" the number?
Old 02-14-2008, 09:26 AM   #144

Trailer: Boler 1984
Wow! Does that ever bring back a memory. One of my first jobs with the "Phone Company" was to convert peoplesphones over to dial. Here are a couple that I was able to keep.

Name:	PICT0018_1.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	11655

Name:	PICT0022_1.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	11657
Attached Thumbnails
PICT0019_1.jpg  
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 09:59 AM   #145

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
I just found this up in my attic...

Attachment 11650

Do people still call it "Dialing" the number?

Dialing the number? When I was quite young our phone didn't have a dial, or a number. You pick up the receiver, rattled the hook, the operator came on and you told her the name of the person you wanted to talk to. Then you hung up, waited while the phone range the ring code for the person you wanted to talk to. A few seconds after it stopped ringing you picked it up again to talk. When it was your ring code you picked up said "hello" and waited until the caller picked back up.

Old 02-14-2008, 11:20 AM   #146

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2005
Remember when "A Nation at War" meant sacrifice?

Name:	WRB_Front.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	11658

Now, instead of (as printed on the back cover) "If you don't need it, DON'T BUY IT." it's "We're sending you a check, SPEND IT."

Harold
Attached Thumbnails
WRB_Back.jpg   WRB_Stamps.jpg  

Old 02-14-2008, 03:34 PM   #147

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Quote:
I actually still handle these everyday, but I bet most of ya don't anymore..and some of ya NEVER have

oh, those trips to the drug store tester, and the language that would come out of my Dad..

Anyone into Ham Radio still has a box of these for sure.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 03:36 PM   #148

I remember Snickers being $.05.
Sweet!
Old 02-14-2008, 03:44 PM   #149

And now for something sobering.

My nephew ( and probably all kids his age ( high school) can only do video games)
He has no idea how to converse with people, or build anything worthwhile.

As kids we all did stuff outside , building cars, scooters etc from junk ,we invented games, played baseball. Just having fun inventing things to do. City kids will remember first on dim lights , first on bright lights, When the street lights came on. ( or was that just Chicago?)
He has none of these talents.

It's kind of scary to think these kids that will be supporting us cannot do anything except play video games.

I do blame his Dad for this outcome, but as I remember he was sort of the same way when he was in High School.

Old 02-14-2008, 05:17 PM   #150

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
I remember filling my VW Bug for $3.00.
John
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 06:33 PM   #151

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
From the "where did they go department"...

Pillsbury Space Food Sticks

Gaines Burger Dog Food (looked like a hamburger hocky puck you broke up in your dog's bowl)

SALVO Laundry Soap Tablets
...which came with towels, dishes, or glassware stuffed in each box. I remember Dolly Parton pitching these on the Porter Wagoner Show.

Does A&W Root Beer still have drive-ins where you bring your 1 gallon Root Beer Jug to get refills?

Gas Wars... 35¢ 25¢ 20¢ 15¢ 10¢ a gallon...how low could you go. More gas station memories...remember the bubbling glass bowl with the floating, colored balls swirling inside on top of Sinclair Gas Pumps? It was supposed to show how pure the gas was. Or the revolving colored wagonwheels on the blue & yellow Sunoco pumps. How 'bout the stick-on pair of orange horseshoes you could get for the back of your car at Gulf Oil Stations to show you have the added "kick" of horsepower from Gulf Gasoline. Or the commemorative Indy 500 glassware you got with a full tank at Marathon Gas stations in Indiana, during the month of May. (My Mom had the complete set)

Cigarette Commercials on TV...Taryton..."I'd rather fight than switch" Kools...."come to where the FLAVOR is...come up to Kool Country"...Benson & Hedges..."A silly mllimeter longer"...you can still hear the jungles. And of course, "The Marlboro Man". I remember sitting at the kitchen table, helping my mom count up the "Old Gold" coupons, (until my Dad quit smoking in '69), and lick S&H Green Stamps and paste them into books. I got my first "real" pair of Brown Oxford dress shoes to wear to church with 3 books of S&H green stamps. (Oxfords, wide ties, wide lapels, baggy cuffed trousers,...the '20's look of "The Sting".)

I remember getting "The Wish Book" in the mail in October, and after memorizing the toy section page for page, I'd sneak a peek at the womans undergarment section... oh my!

Where were you in '67? If you were a guy on the prowl you wore a little "Hi-Karate" Cologne & After Shave and had to fight off the chicks. My older brother wore that, later I inherited the stinkin' stuff when I became aware of girls. ...never had to fight off the girls though....certanly not like the guy on TV. Maybe it was because I was wearing hand me down clothes and outdated "smell'em" stuff.

One of my favorite childhood toys was the "Creepy Crawlers" set with a hot plate cooker you could cook a egg with, where you heated up your mold of toxic rubber goop making bugs, worms, and rubber teeth...my dragonfly wings always stuck to the mold. Another was my "Johnny Lightning" totally realistic M-16 machine gun and .45 pistol that shot 12 plastic bullets. Both realisitc down to the screw heads and checkered grips, made by the Marx Toy Company, designers and manufacturers of the fibersteel plactic stock of the real M-16.

My best friend had the "Man from U.N.C.L.E" Napoleon Solo pistol with silencer, extended clip, shoulder stock, and nite-owl scope, in the BRIEFCASE! (I was SO jealous!) We both had our secret "U.N.C.L.E" triangle badges that showed our ID number only under a special red film filter, and I had the official U.N.C.L.E. ballpoint pen crystal radio. It was a RELIGION, and the altar was the TV, when the show came on Tuesday nights, 7:30 on ABC. We replayed the episode in our backyard all week...Marty was Illia Kuriackin, I was Napoleon Solo, Laura (the neighbor girl) played the girl in distress. (If we HAD to let her play!)

While "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" was cool, Lost in Space was not...except for the robot, the family land rover, the saucer when it flew, the big giant one-eyed ape monster that threw rocks, & Angela Cartwright in that silver spacesuit. And forget about "Land of the Giants", it was just stupid. "Time Tunnel" was OK...but only when Rick & Tony were floating through time, landing in the middle of a bunch of Nazis or on the deck of the Titanic...stuff like that.

The rich kid down the street had the GI Joe Astronaut WITH the Mercury Space Capsule! (We HATED the rich kid) Our GI Joes looked like the Terminator after a BAD day...you would too after being set on fire, blown up with firecrackers, and shot with BB guns. And they wern't REAL GI Joes either, just big green plastic army men.

Our neighborhood gang played flashlight tag at night, dug forts, & played "shoot to kill". We thought we'd all be going off to fight in Vietnam after high school, just like our older brothers did...(we almost did). Imagine being a 9 year old boy knowing what a draft number was.

Speaking of hot-plate toys...how 'bout the "Little Suzy Homemaker" Oven set that could bake a cake. It was eather those toys or running with the scissors for childhood fun.

ConwayBob
Old 02-14-2008, 08:10 PM   #152

Registry
Exclamation

Quote:
[b]"Land of the Giants"

Name:	000_0876.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	11666
Attached Thumbnails
000_0877.jpg  
Old 02-14-2008, 08:54 PM   #153

[quote]
Attachment 11666

OOOOOOoooo! Models! I built the "Seaview" from Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. Also the "Flying Sub"...too cool!
Old 02-14-2008, 09:03 PM   #154

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Bob, you and I must be the same age or thereabouts!

I had that Creepy Crawler set, too. Also a Vacuform.

And do you remember "Bite and Brush?" Toothpaste tablets you chewed, then brushed your teeth. And a bit older, Fizzies!

Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 09:28 PM   #155

Quote:
Bob, you and I must be the same age or thereabouts!

I had that Creepy Crawler set, too. Also a Vacuform.

And do you remember "Bite and Brush?" Toothpaste tablets you chewed, then brushed your teeth. And a bit older, Fizzies!
OOOO! Fizzies! The rite of passage of 8th grade! You had to let one dissolve on your tongue for at least 1 minute or you was a wuss!

I wish I had that creepy crawler set today, I could make some neat fishing lures with it now!
Old 02-14-2008, 09:32 PM   #156

Registry
Talking

Quote:
Here are a couple that I was able to keep.
WOW! That candlestick is valuable!
My Dad had one that he converted into a lamp base. It would light the lamp to take the receiver off the hook. Mom said he ruined the collectible value of by doing that.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:47 PM   #157

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
<span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%">Slide ruler, circular slide ruler, log tables, HP 25 programmable calculator, first and last digital LED HP watch, 2 cycle motorcycles, RCA video mechanical record player, …. 1.5 l displacement engines, …….</span>

GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:03 PM   #158

Name: johnwerneken
Trailer: johnwerneken
johnwerneken
Smile Pat Pattie KISN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I thought it was KISN 910 on the am dial, with Pat Pattie that was favorite rock station. Maybe that was earlier.
Pat Pattie, KISN from 1959 to about 1976. FCC shut em down. Evidently United States Senators can be criminals and go unpunished, but radio businesses can be shut down for supporting one or another candidate. Go figure.

KGON more or less replaced KISN.

Older than dirt? I was the waiter at the Last Supper! lol
johnwerneken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:40 PM   #159

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I think that the only thing "Older than Dirt" is this thread, previous post was 2/14/2008

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:47 PM   #160

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwerneken View Post
Pat Pattie, KISN from 1959 to about 1976. FCC shut em down. Evidently United States Senators can be criminals and go unpunished, but radio businesses can be shut down for supporting one or another candidate. Go figure.

KGON more or less replaced KISN.

Older than dirt? I was the waiter at the Last Supper! lol
Pattie DJed at a local club for several years after that. He also drove a jelopy at the Jantzen Beach Amusement Park 1/4 mile dirt track. Which is where Jantzen Beach Mall is located. I think the old carousel is still inside the mall. It's been many years since I've been out there so I'm sure about that.