O'Leno SP. High Springs FL - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-18-2017, 08:31 AM   #1

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
O'Leno SP. High Springs FL

Have reservations at the ONLY pullthru site at O'Leno SP for August 27 & 28. Plan to tube the Ichetucknee Springs river on the 28th and leave for home the 29th.
This was an annual July campout with first my son and then my grandson. When there were gaps of their availability I would take my Boy Scouts on the Memorial Day weekend.

Besides tubing there is really great canoing/kayaking on the Santa Fe river.

My dh is not on board with canoeing/kayaking (been accused too many times of only doing things I enjoy and not what dh wanted) so I plan on a late fall/early winter solo camping trip and carrying my 1 person sit-atop kayak.
By then, hopefully temps will be in the high 70s.
This area just north of Gainesville is the southern terminus of the Appalachians and the landscape is quite different from South Florida.

https://www.floridastateparks.org/park/Oleno

https://www.floridastateparks.org/pa...ucknee-Springs

Santa Fe Conoe Outpost – Paddle the Santa Fe River
Old 08-18-2017, 09:42 AM   #2

Name: jon
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' SD
Illinois
We also have reservations for O'Leno SP but in early February. Haven't been there but it looks very interesting. Northern FL is where we really enjoy especially the Apalachicola NF area. This year we are also trying out Stephen Foster Folk Cultural Center. But we'll camp most anywhere which is warmer than the mid-west in winter.

jon
jon carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 10:11 AM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
We stopped at O'Leno SP in Feb 2016 for 3 days. Some nice trails and most interesting thing is that the Santa Fe River suddenly goes underground here and then re-surfaces a few miles downstream. We hiked trails around both segments of this river. Also the Santa Fe River is colored brown due to tannic acid in the water.

Some nice old buildings in the SP were constructed by the CCC in the 1930s.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 10:30 AM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We stayed a couple days at Stephen Foster last January. Really enjoyed it, had a couple more days reserved for this coming January but sadly canceled to try a couple other state parks in Florida.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 07:11 PM   #5

Name: Gene
Trailer: Airstream
Florida
Having grown up in High Springs and now living in Chattahoochee, all I can say if you want to talk about terrain, You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet. I have 100 ft deep ravine in my backyard with a creek running throigh the bottom of it... You won't see anything like that anywhere in Alachua County except for maybe, just maybe leading in to Devil's millhopper.
We call this area the two hills the Appalachians and there's more of them west of us near Fort Walton and Crestview
ai4kk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 07:15 PM   #6

Florida
Now if I can just figure out how to edit in Tapatalk
Old 08-18-2017, 10:23 PM   #7

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Just curios, are there any gators on this river? I'd love to take my girls tubing as we've done it in NC and farther North where there are no gators. I don't think I could convince them or Hubby to go if we will be seeing gators in the tubing/swimming area.

Thanks!
Melissa
Old 08-19-2017, 02:24 AM   #8

Florida
It's not a tubing River, there's lots of snags, the water is not clear, and there are many Gators. The two best Rivers I know for tubing in Florida are the Ichetucknee your High Springs and Spring Creek run near Marianna
Old 08-19-2017, 06:55 AM   #9

Florida
I have never seen a gator on the Ichetucknee river. The noise & crowds from the weekends would surely scare away any that had wandered in on a quieter weekday. Lots of fish, lots of turtles, possibility of fox squirrels in the trees, otters in the river. Of course, in FL there is a potential for ANY puddle of water to have a gator on it.
I believe that if one wandered in to the Ichetucknee and was visible, there would be tubing closedowns and critter relocation.
Santa Fe is tannic but does have a lot of clear springs in it along the way. It's a really nice canoing/kayak river.
If you want a much smaller, more developed tubing experience Rock Springs Run Municipal Park in Apopka used to offer tubing. I would rate it as equivalent to a halfbaked water part with only one ride.
Old 08-19-2017, 06:55 AM   #10

Florida
Park not part.
Old 08-19-2017, 07:12 AM   #11

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 2001
O'Leno State Park

Mitzi,

We have enjoyed numerous camping trips at O'Leno (it's close to home). Just a reminder from one former Scout to another, be aware of the tick situation. The Park can experience heavy Deer tick infestations. Make sure to check yourself & the grandkids body parts/ clothing/bedding etc.for the little suckers.

Deb
Deb&Sam D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 07:35 AM   #12

Florida
We do have Lyme disease in Florida, last time I checked there are over a thousand cases and I was one of them for a short time. The good news is, if you can catch it and identify it in time, as in within two weeks of the bite, you have a good chance of curing it completely with heavy antibiotic doses. Once it goes systemic however, it is your lifetime companion
Old 08-20-2017, 06:24 PM   #13

Florida
Thanks for the reminder, Deb.
ai4kk, one of the social workers at my former employer, who is just as much of an outdoorsman as I am an outdoorswoman, told me about 2 years back that the Hospice had had its first terminal Lymes case admitted, and they were about 15 years younger than either of us. It bothered him immensely. I suggested dusting with Flour of Sulfur prior to outdoor activity, which is effective against chiggers, but I really don't know how it works for ticks.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:00 AM   #14

Florida
It bothers me as well since I love being outside... One of many reasons why I plan to move to Washington State.
Old 08-30-2017, 10:33 AM   #15

Florida
Arrived at O'Leno Sunday in the heavy showers- Felt a sudden surge of joy as I realized I didn't have to pitch a tent in the rain!!
Rain on the roof = wonderful lullaby!
The Diner in High Springs offers great burgers and all day breakfast and free Wi Fi. Every campsite in the park except #22 has the electric hookup at th back of the site.
Today I ordered a 25 ft 30amp extension cord from Walmart.