Oliver math quiz - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2021, 06:16 PM   #101

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Boler View Post
I just thought of another way

5x + 5x + 5x =90
2y + 2y + y =25
,3z = 18
Y + 3X x z = Ans

X = 6
Y = 5
Z = 6

Ans = 5 + 18 x 6 = 113

If it's just about the number of tires
It helps to think of pictures as abstract constructs.

The first equation has three identical somethings equal to 90, so each of those identical somethings is 30. So far so good.

The second equation requires an assumption that the first two somethings have twice the value of the third something. This is where the abstraction breaks down. You have to assume they are representations of real world trailer tires.(That felt a little unfair, but I’ll let it pass…) So, five (presumed) identical tires is 25, making each tire each tire 5.

The third equation is straightforward like the first. Three somethings is 18, so each something is 6.

Finally, one must notice in the last equation that the second something (call it a trailer if you like) is not exactly the same as the similar somethings in the first equation. It’s missing several somethings that can be quantified by the previous equations.

By the way, I would argue is cannot be only about the tires, because the third picture has no tires, so it could not have a defined value of 18 (or anything else). Your assumption creates a logical contradiction.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 07:04 PM   #102

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Boler View Post
I just thought of another way
Did you read my last post with the calculations?

I am not a math teacher like Jon, but did ace ask math in school, both primary and secondary taking engineering. Not that I don't ever get a wrong answer. [emoji16]
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 07:05 PM   #103

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
I'm with Raspy - The horse died!

So, why do you always put your left shoe on last?
Old 08-03-2021, 07:17 PM   #104

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
It helps to think of pictures as abstract constructs....
The second equation requires an assumption that the first two somethings have twice the value of the third something. This is where the abstraction breaks down. You have to assume they are representations of real world trailer tires.(That felt a little unfair, but I’ll let it pass…)
I'm not so sure that I can let that pass... because if the windows in the door have a value, then would not also the other windows in the camper have some value (which is never defined in the problem definition). And speaking of assumptions.. why do we assume the totals given (90, 25 and 18) are in base ten? Maybe they are hexadecimal numbers.. in which case the final answer is "D1".

But now we have two groups of readers.. those few who enjoy the analytical, philosophical and mathematical aspects.. and those who just get a headache.

(or those like me who fall into both categories )
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 07:33 PM   #105

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Finally, one must notice in the last equation that the second something (call it a trailer if you like) is not exactly the same as the similar somethings in the first equation. It’s missing several somethings that can be quantified by the previous equations.

So the question is bogus.
-30-
Old 08-03-2021, 07:55 PM   #106

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
I'm not so sure that I can let that pass... because if the windows in the door have a value, then would not also the other windows in the camper have some value (which is never defined in the problem definition). And speaking of assumptions.. why do we assume the totals given (90, 25 and 18) are in base ten? Maybe they are hexadecimal numbers.. in which case the final answer is "D1".

But now we have two groups of readers.. those few who enjoy the analytical, philosophical and mathematical aspects.. and those who just get a headache.

(or those like me who fall into both categories )
In answer to your first question, yes of course they could have some value. But there is not enough information given to determine that value, nor would it change the answer if there were.

In answer to the suggestion that the base could be other than ten, it did cross my mind when you mentioned Gates. In that context it would have to be hexadecimal. But since we are assuming standard mathematical conventions apply (algebraic order of operations), then the convention of designating any base other than ten with a subscript ought to apply as well. To be fair… .
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 01:45 AM   #107

Name: Carl
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Ok so given the last 3 objects are windows and not tires I have revised my answer.

3x=90
2y + 2y + y =25
,3z = 18
Y + (X-2y-z) x z = Ans

X = 30
Y = 5
Z = 6

Ans = 5 + (30-(2x5) -6)*6
= 5 + 14*6
= 5 + 84
= 89
Yellow Boler is offline   Reply With Quote