Oliver or Escape - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2015, 12:28 PM   #41
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
Can't argue with perfect logic like that! Although I would have said "more worser" instead of badder.
Sorry, but I was suddenly stricken by an alliteration attack

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 01:20 PM   #42

Name: David
Trailer: Airstream International CCD 28
Florida
I believe my Oliver is truly a four season trailer, but I don't want to ever test it. Brrrr. We did camp in some high teens this Winter, but for only three days. We really appreciated the quiet of the central heating system, and the ducting all the way to the head. We kept the temp at a comfortable 68 and although there was an ice storm outside we were cozy as could be. The heating ducts are in the same area as the tanks, plus there is a return air vent in the same area. That entire space is inside the insulated area.

Let me brag on Oliver service again. I called for some advice on installing a generator basket to the tongue of my trailer and rather than just tell me what to do they are sending an upgrade kit with reinforced tongue tube...at no charge. This company reflects the very best in customer care.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:56 PM   #43

Name: CBarry
Trailer: In the market
Pennsylvania
You are correct. The Oliver's construction leaves an air gap between the outer shell and inner shell. This will have a dramatic effect on condensation caused by the warm air coming into contact with a cooler wall. You do still have to leave a window cracked and fan on to account for your breath, but the double-walled construction will definitely help.
cbarry12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 04:01 PM   #44

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
All travel trailers come with 4-season climate control underneath!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 05:16 PM   #45

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
The true 4-season package is really only for those who do serious winter camping, or have the money to splurge. I mean, if you can afford it, why not have the extras?

But most of us don't camp in the kind of weather that requires it. We just do "shoulder season" camping. We get an earlier start in the spring, and a later season into the fall. This means some cold nights, and possibly getting socked in by a blizzard here and there.

My Bigfoot, while still a Bigfoot and built for cold weather, doesn't have the 4-season package. I used it last fall when we had a stretch of weather with lows in the teens every night and highs around 40 F for about a week. Temps were in the 20's by dinnertime every night.

I was really nice and cozy in the Bigfoot. It was actually pretty fun. But condensation, yes. Especially if you're cooking, and breathing, it's going to be there. So while my camper can absolutely handle it, I wouldn't put it through that for long stretches, or there would be water related damage like mold, wallpaper bubbling, water stains etc.

But if you let the heater run all night (something I had never done until that long stretch of cold), and keep the bathroom door slightly open, along with the cabinet door under the kitchen sink, you won't have frozen pipes, even without the winter package. The only things that worried me, were that with my trailer layout, there are two places where freshwater hoses run inside the shell, but outside of the camper interior, so no heat. They run through the outer storage compartment, at the back of the trailer by the bathroom, and through the back of the fridge compartment. Those hoses get heated by the fridge coils, but once it's in the teens and twenties outside, I'm not using the fridge, unless I want all my food frozen...But neither of those lines froze during the cold snap.

Other than that, just the black tank, which isn't going to freeze unless the temps don't get back up above freezing during the day. If that was the case, you'd still be fine so long as you didn't use the toilet.

But with lows in the teens and highs back up above freezing, a 4-season package is a bonus, but definitely not necessary. Most of us aren't camping if the weather gets colder than that.

While the Oliver is clearly a great camper, aesthetically I like the Escape better. But it's not all about looks, I guess... I will say that the Escape 5.0 really stands out to me, because it looks so much like a Toyota Sunrader (minus the cab-over windows), which is my favorite RV of all time. So I'm biased.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 07:06 PM   #46

Name: Gary & Jona
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II
Florida
Smile

The 4 season trailer can be a worry saver anytime of year. This past summer we camped across from the glacier in the Canadian Ice Fields mid June and it snowed and had ice all over our truck overnight. Sitting in my Oliver, I did not think twice about my situation. We had a Casita prior and loved our travels there as well, you just work with what you have and can have a great camping experience . One of the main differences I can say between them is the complete fiberglass interior of the Oliver no wood to warp, wear, splinter which is one of the thing I liked about the Casita but as we all say that is my opinion and we all have one .......So enjoy the one your with.
garyjona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 08:05 PM   #47
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Think every current trailer builder uses PEX tubing for liquids; it's very resistant to freeze damage compared to the old gray Quest type tubing. PEX can stand up to freezing and expands a bit; if it does fail under the trailer it would most likely be at one of the crimp ring fittings when things thaw out.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 09:42 AM   #48

Montana
Yeah I think when people buy a trailer and later find out it has damage to the water pump or lines from freezing, it was probably from not winterizing the system when it was put away for the winter. Had I not flushed my lines this winter...yikes. We had about a month where the temps just hovered between -10 to +10. That kind of prolonged cold, in a trailer with no heat running and water still in the lines, is what messes things up.
Old 02-24-2017, 12:09 PM   #49

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
To me , it's all about how much you are willing / can afford to spend to accomplish your goal. If your goal is to travel or camp and enjoy the great outdoors at a reasonable cost then a Scamp, Casita ,Parkliner , Etc will be more than satisfactory . If your goal is to travel or camp in luxury then an Escape or Oliver may be a better choice. None of the FG trailers are a poor choice IMHO
If I was going to drop $50K or $60K on a travel trailer no matter how high the quality , it would have to be in almost constant use to justify the cost . If I was still working and only used my trailer for short limited time each year than an Escape or Oliver would not be my first choice.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 12:24 PM   #50

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
If I was still working and only used my trailer for short limited time each year than an Escape or Oliver would not be my first choice.
I can see your point there, but in our case we are still about 8 years from retirement, so all of our trips for the next 8 years will be of mostly limited duration. But we also wanted this purchase to be our retirement camper because we don't want to have to buy something newer and/or bigger when that time comes. So we chose to go ahead and get what we wanted now, even though you are correct, a scamp or casita, etc would have been just fine until then.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 12:45 PM   #51

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregandTeresa View Post
I can see your point there, but in our case we are still about 8 years from retirement, so all of our trips for the next 8 years will be of mostly limited duration. But we also wanted this purchase to be our retirement camper because we don't want to have to buy something newer and/or bigger when that time comes. So we chose to go ahead and get what we wanted now, even though you are correct, a scamp or casita, etc would have been just fine until then.
I was not trying to be critical of anyone's choice in FG trailers.
My wife and I are in our late 60's and have health issues .
We have considered buying an Escape 21 but one major holdup for us is how much traveling we we will be able to do in the foreseeable future. We have several friends who bought new , larger travel trailers at our age and due to life changes , their trailers just sit in a storage lot gathering dust. We may just continue traveling with our Casita . I realize that life offers no guarantees but to us a trailer is a luxury and I have a hard time with spending our money on a non essential luxury especially if it is going to just sit in our backyard.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:23 PM   #52

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I had a friend share with me a series of "thoughts" about getting older. It's titled "Between 65 and Death." Here's the first of twenty-one:

1. It’s time to use the money you saved up. Use it and enjoy it. Don’t just keep it for those who may have no notion of the sacrifices you made to get it. Remember there is nothing more dangerous than a son or daughter-in-law with big ideas for your hard-earned capital. Warning: This is also a bad time for investments, even if it seems wonderful or fool-proof. They only bring problems and worries. This is a time for you to enjoy some peace and quiet.

Food for thought...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 01:40 PM   #53

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Tennessee
I like that thought. We have every intention of dying either broke, or as close to it as possible.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 02:27 PM   #54

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I had a friend share with me a series of "thoughts" about getting older. It's titled "Between 65 and Death." Here's the first of twenty-one:

1. It’s time to use the money you saved up. Use it and enjoy it. Don’t just keep it for those who may have no notion of the sacrifices you made to get it. Remember there is nothing more dangerous than a son or daughter-in-law with big ideas for your hard-earned capital. Warning: This is also a bad time for investments, even if it seems wonderful or fool-proof. They only bring problems and worries. This is a time for you to enjoy some peace and quiet.

Food for thought...
My Mom was a widow for 30 years My mother in law was a widow for 25 years. My concern is not saving my money so my children get a nice inheritance. My concern is to insure that my wife is taken care of after I am gone . This may be a chauvinistic approach to life. but so be it. After 46 years of marriage I feel an obligation to my wife. A trailer will offer her no security and won't pay her bills.
To spend money on luxuries just because you can has no appeal to me but YMMV.
Old 02-24-2017, 03:07 PM   #55

A travel trailer, or anything not needed to live, is a luxury. That could include buying a new car every few years because you can.

My neighbor retired 2-1/2 years ago. Just after Thanksgiving his wife found him laying on the floor at the bottom of the stairs. He had a major stroke and she doesn't know how long he laid there because he was an early morning riser and she woke up late. For all intents and purposes he's brain-dead although he's awake and breathing on his own. He can't talk, feed himself, walk, or any other daily living habit. His wife is paying $10,000 a month for him to be in 24/7 care. If she's able to bring him home, she will... it will still cost $6,000 a month because she'll need help at least 8 hours a day. I don't know how anyone that can prepare for this...she's told me, she'll probably sell the house to provide for Doug's care. She'll move in with one of their kids. Just wow...
Old 02-25-2017, 08:45 AM   #56

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Tomorrow is not guaranteed, as your poor friend's situation attests to, Donna. It is very sad, and having a brother who was a victim of violence, and has been brain injured and paralyzed over 20 years now, it certainly alters what one's plans might have been for the future. Because of love and commitment, all luxuries one could have possibly dreamed of go away. In my case, I live lean, and am cautious with spending because it's so hard to come by. I help my family with any extra I have, which to me, is my true luxury.

My little cracked egg is a treasure to me, yet in the annals of time, it will turn to dust, too. So I luxuriate in the people who God sent to be part of my journey.

I'm so sorry for your friend Donna. My family knows the anguish.
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 09:04 AM   #57

Montana
This is why I'm essentially living my "retirement" in small chunks now, while I'm young(ish). I'm trying not to shoot my "later self" in the foot by not saving anything or planning for a more permanent retirement someday, but I'm not putting all my faith in some future day where I'll be able to retire and finally do the things I want to do. I might not live that long, or I might have health issues that keep me from really enjoying a retirement.

After about 3 years of just working about 6 months of the year though...it's about time to go back to full time work for a few years at least.
Old 02-25-2017, 11:09 AM   #58

One of my Mother's favorite sayings that she said to me often is:
You can always, always make more money (even if that's not spending what you have),
But you can never, ever make more time.
Old 02-25-2017, 11:18 AM   #59

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
I'm 80 and my wife died almost 4 years ago. I towed a 35 ft trailer from MI to AZ alone. My philosophy is I earned it and if I don't spend it the kids will get it. I've told them that philosophy and the understand it and approve. My younger son has said he'd like my Escape19 when I'm finished with it. Each person's situation is different so best to do what seems right to us.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 07:42 PM   #60

Name: Rhett
Trailer: Oliver
Illinois
LOL, I think you got a NEW Ollie!
john in Illiinois is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape, oliver