OMG Another Scamp Manufacturing Fire! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-20-2013, 05:46 PM   #1

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
OMG Another Scamp Manufacturing Fire!

Just posted on Facebook. I don't know anything more

Quote:
"I just had a conversation with Wayne this morning.

"They had a serious fire in their weld shop last night with extensive damage to the building and equipment.
"No injuries reported.

"Of course with updated requirements, rebuilding the shop will be a bit more complicated (and expensive)than simply replacing what was lost. The resulting rebuild will surely result in enhanced quality, efficiency and productivity.

"So far, no word on any significant delays, since the main factory is fine, and some frames are in stock for production.

"Customers, both present and potential should know that Scamp will strive to continue to meet production goals and minimize any delays.

"We are sorry for their loss, but know they will come back better and stronger , due to that indomintable Scamp spirit."

I haven't seen anything about it on the news here in SE Minnesota but will check the Duluth papers & TV stations.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:53 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I believe that Scamp contracts the frame building rather than owning the welding shop. This is not as bad as loosing the molds like they did in their fire 2006. If they had to they could contract with another welding shop to build frames.

For those buying new it's nice to know that there might be a delivery problem.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:17 PM   #3
GPJ

Name: GP
Trailer: Looking
British Columbia
Donna:

Thanks for keeping an eye on the molded fiberglass industry and once again providing us with an update.

Thankfully, frames are really easy to build, so they should be able to find alternate arrangements while the shop is rebuilt.
GPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:37 PM   #4

I heard the wood cabinetry work was outsourced to someone in Backus, rather than onsite. Didn't know the welding shop was as well (as per Byron). Hope they're up and running quickly,
Old 04-20-2013, 07:35 PM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I had a new axle installed on my Scamp last spring at the factory I was told that all the welding "Metal Fabrication " was done in a building to the north of the main plant
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:17 PM   #6

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Just posted on Facebook. I don't know anything more
I authored the the quote to which you refer.(Sorry about the typo in "indomitable")

While I don't have access to internal Scamp documents, I can say that at least ostensibly both the frame shop and the cabinet shop are Scamp operations, eventhough they are both off-site from the main factory.
The weld shop is located next to the cabinet shop. If any change is planned we will be informed in due time.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I authored the the quote to which you refer.(Sorry about the typo in "indomitable")
I never would have guessed it was you Floyd. I believe is citing sources, if I know who it is, and certainly would have given you credit for informing the masses.

Please let us know when you find out something more. This is important to future buyers.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:03 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I never would have guessed it was you Floyd. I believe is citing sources, if I know who it is, and certainly would have given you credit for informing the masses.

Please let us know when you find out something more. This is important to future buyers.
No sweat, I posted it on Scampers yesterday. I'll follow up when I can.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:33 AM   #9

Name: Ken
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 16' deluxe 2008 FJ Cruiser
Pennsylvania
I would love to know more I have one on order. I am holding off on calling I think they are getting enough calls. Will wait to see if anything pops up on here.
Ken
Ken in Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:31 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken in Pa View Post
I would love to know more I have one on order. I am holding off on calling I think they are getting enough calls. Will wait to see if anything pops up on here.
Ken
I was told that they were good for orders up through June at least.
I must have called them a hundred times while mine was being built.
Ironically, instead of annoying them, we made some new friends!
Go ahead and call them. If you don't, I will (and use your name)
PHONE # (800)346-4962
Old 04-30-2013, 08:52 AM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken in Pa View Post
Ken
OK, I talked with Wayne this morning and he said that the recent fire will not affect production at all. They have already set up temporary facilities in another building and are building frames at full production.
More news as it develops.

As for your particular order, it is their habit to contact the buyer about a month+- before delivery to assure customer satisfaction with the final product.
You should being hearing from them on schedule.
No one at Scamp will be bothered if you would still like to call,they want you to be happy with your order and with your new Scamp.

(I guess I called enough that they didn't need to call me! )

Also;
If you are going to the factory to pick up your trailer, we live right on I-80 in Illinois, about 600miles from Backus. We can offer a flat driveway, a garden hose and a plug-in. You are welcome to overnight here if you choose and take the opportunity to check everything out once more before heading on home.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:10 AM   #12

Name: Ken
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 16' deluxe 2008 FJ Cruiser
Pennsylvania
Floyd
Thanks so much. That puts my mind at ease. We should be getting a call by the end of the month. We are so ready. But we cannot forget our teardrop and our Tearjerker pals. Thanks again. Ken
Ken in Pa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp