On Demand Water Heaters - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2010, 04:34 PM   #1

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
On Demand Water Heaters

We were at ACE today and noticed their display of "On Demand Instant Water Heaters". Has anybody installed one in their trailer? Is there any reason these wouldnt be an excellent alternative to the usual 6 gallon heater set up? You would have hot water till either your fresh water tank ran dry or if you are hooked to city water than indefinately. I did see they have both propane and electric options. I wonder if Scamp would install one?
Old 09-21-2010, 06:23 PM   #2

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
I found this, it is not a mountable unit for under the sink but it is a portable unit. You can run it with the 1 G propane bottles and heat 40 G of water on 1 bottle. Adjustable for showers to coffee, I might look into one of these.

Here is a link to single point units, prices between $200 - $800.
http://www.google.com/products?hl=en...ed=0CDgQrQQwAg

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Water-...ef=cm_cmu_pg_t
Panoz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:38 PM   #3

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
You'll find propane fueled, on-demand water heaterEccotemp at Camping Worldfor about $140. I have seen it offered on their online site twice in the past year for just under $100. Self-igniting, battery-operated ignition. Downside is that it is not suitable for use indoors

Regards,

Matt
Old 09-21-2010, 07:44 PM   #4

Ya, I was thinking more for showers but it should be able to heat sink water as well. Forgot about that need, lol. Always just used a kettle on the stove in the popup. Hot water from the sink would be a luxury. The ones at ACE I think ranged from about $279-$499.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:36 PM   #5

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I purchased an Eccotemp as a stop gap to repairing my tank water heater in the motorhome. I found it SO wondeful that I didn't bother with the waterheater repair. I hung it on the wall in my shower and simply moved the flex hose from the tap to the Eccotemp, used a portable propane bottle and was happy as a clam.

Like anything propane, using indoors is a matter of caution for sure. The Eccotemp vents out the top, however, I used it inside with no ill effects. It was only on long enough for a shower.

I intend to install it in my Kit, wall mounted near a window in what is now a temporary bathroom.

I would NOT bury it behind walls or in a chamber, but I do feel that using it hanging in a ventilated area is perfectly safe.

It weighs almost nothing as well, I suspect a major advantage is there for those wishing to find ways to cut weight.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:28 PM   #6

Gina, would love to hear more about your shower, maybe even pix? Wow, anybody else who didnt know better reading this thread sure could take that the wrong way, LOL! What I meant was, where do you set (hang?) the portable tank and how did you hang the heater in the shower? Please keep us posted on your progress with this project.

Thanks!
Old 09-22-2010, 07:07 PM   #7

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
at our race car garage there's an electric one installed near the sink....its small enough for a camper and works rather well I think,,though i dont leave it on to test duration etc.....its 110v.............Bruce
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:54 PM   #8

Trailer: Aliner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina D. View Post
I purchased an Eccotemp as a stop gap to repairing my tank water heater in the motorhome. I found it SO wondeful that I didn't bother with the waterheater repair. I hung it on the wall in my shower and simply moved the flex hose from the tap to the Eccotemp, used a portable propane bottle and was happy as a clam.
It weighs almost nothing as well, I suspect a major advantage is there for those wishing to find ways to cut weight.
Gina, I also would love to see a photo.

My second water heater (in 4 years) is so rusty that it is difficult to get lit, and I am afraid that it is not safe to use. I would LOVE to replace it with an Eccotemp.

I think I'll put that on my October shopping list!
Sharon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:07 PM   #9

Oops... I just watched the installation video for Eccotemp. I'm not so sure I am capable of safely installing it in my camper.

I may have to look for a more temporary solution like the Coleman.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:32 PM   #10

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
in the motorhome, I simply hung it on the door frame using an over the door hanger. I did what they say NOT to do (Do so at your own risk) and hung it by the handle.

For the water hook up, I simply moved the feed line to the shower head to the input of the heat, then I used the shower head and hose that comes with the heater at the hot water output.

The propane tank (little 1 lb one) set in one of the zillion shower shelves for folks with 10 different kinds of shampoo. This required purchase of a steak saver... no biggie. 1 lb lasted a week and a half of daily showers...no long soaks

I no longer have the motorhome, so.. sorry, no pics.

I will wall mount it in the new bath and properly run water and propane lines to it. The motorhome install was temporary, this will be more robust and permenant.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:53 PM   #11

Thanks, Gina. I didn't even think of using the small propane canisters with it.

Ventilation is not a problem in our current camper. It has air gaps everywhere, even without opening windows and vents!