On the road - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2013, 06:21 PM   #1

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
On the road

In a motel in Effingham, IL tonight. With no heat in the Egg Camper all day because no furnace. Way too cold and might not find an open campground anyway. Our trailer is all electric hence our situation. Hope it'll be warm enough Sunday to stay in the Egg. Met a couple from Wisconsin with a Casita at the motel. They didn't know about the website, but they do now.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:40 PM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
That is one of the reasons I installed a Wave propane heater in my EggCamper. Flexibility!
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:46 PM   #3

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
At least a little coleman sportcat to take off the chill.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:50 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Do you mean you do not have a furnace or that your furnace is broken?
Ms. Gayle 2012-IA,MO,NE,WY,MT,UT,NM,AZ,TX/2013-AR,LA,AL, FL,GA,SC,NC,TN,KY,KS,CO/2014-IL,MO,MN,MI,WI IA/2015-SD,IA,MO,OK,TX/2016-AR,MS,FL,MO,IN,VA,NC,TN/2017-KS,CO,UT,AR,MS,FL/2018-IL,IN,SD,MN,Canada,IA, OK,TX,NM/2019-OK,TX,AR,NE,SD/2020-AR
Ms. Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:55 PM   #5

Pennsylvania
Registry
The EggCamper is all electric, with an electric heater.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:12 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Yes, I am typing this response in my own all electric EggCamper. So you are saying that you are in a motel because you could not find an open campground? I have spent several nights in mine very toasty between the standard EggCamper heater and my electric blanket in some pretty cool nights.

I am currently in Florida and the high tomorrow is supposed to be 55 and the low 34....so much for sunny, warm Florida .
Ms. Gayle 2012-IA,MO,NE,WY,MT,UT,NM,AZ,TX/2013-AR,LA,AL, FL,GA,SC,NC,TN,KY,KS,CO/2014-IL,MO,MN,MI,WI IA/2015-SD,IA,MO,OK,TX/2016-AR,MS,FL,MO,IN,VA,NC,TN/2017-KS,CO,UT,AR,MS,FL/2018-IL,IN,SD,MN,Canada,IA, OK,TX,NM/2019-OK,TX,AR,NE,SD/2020-AR
Ms. Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:44 AM   #7

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft Electric
Registry
Heading south from the frozen north (NH) is always a challenge for the first day or two. Up north, most campgrounds are closed for the winter and the risk of freezing water lines doesn't go away until we get down at least to the Carolinas. So, the first day on the road is a long one, with a short overnight in a Walmart, somewhere in VA. I added propane to my EggCamper and a propane furnace which takes the chill off in the Walmart lot, but it still takes awhile for everything in the egg to warm up.

This year we headed south in October and the trip was much simpler. Campgrounds with hookups were open and except for a dash to avoid hurricane Sandy, we had a very leisurely trip.
Ron F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:54 AM   #8

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Though we have propane we seek places to stop during the cold months with electricity. We left in snow, actually having to wait it out in CT for a day this year. Our first stop was MD's Lums pond state park open all year.

We take the Chesapeake Bay Bridge to go south. MD keeps two state parks open year round that have electricity on the Demarva penisula.

As well there are two campgrounds open in NJ year round that we've used on occasion.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:46 AM   #9

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Bob & Grace if you make it as far as South Padre Island, PM us. Cameron County has a camp ground on the island if your intrested. We live at Long Island village in Port Isabel. They also have sites for rent.
Meet a couple at gate 5 on the beach in a surf side from Manitoba.
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:29 PM   #10

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
For you who have added propane to your EggCampers...where did you run the gas line? And Jim...where did you mount the Wave heater? For whoever asked if no furnace or broken furnace...no furnace and we're moteling the first two nights because most northern campgrounds are closed. We started with a huge pile of snow on the Egg. Got several inches, it got rained on compacting the snow, got another 14 inches on top of the previous. That got rained on compacting all. Then it froze to the trailer. Left home (MI) yesterday morning. Tonight at North Little Rock the snow is gone. Should be able to use the Egg tomorrow night. Temps have been in the low 20s until this afternoon. Gas mpg increased every fillup as more and more snow came off.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:44 PM   #11

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft Electric
Registry
Bob,
I put two 11# tanks in my tongue box. I ran black iron pipe from the regulator hose connection back to the curb side, near where the original electric heater was installed. I moved the electric heater down, installed the new furnace above it (an Atwood 8012 II), and a propane sensor beneath the electric heater (near the floor). I also replace the water heater with an Atwood 6 gallon combination gas/electric model on the street side, where the original was located. I put a tee on the black iron pipe and piped (black iron) it over to the street side to feed the water heater. From the black iron pipe to the appliances, I used 3/8 copper tubing.

You'll probably notice that the front of my kitchen is covered by a piece of 1/4" birch plywood. That's because I had previous mods that put two small drawers where the new furnace went. So, I needed to move the fridge down a bit to accomodate a single large drawer above it.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Furnace-18.JPG   Furnace-15.JPG  

Ron F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:14 PM   #12

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Have fun in Little Rock,lots of good things to see and do in that area. We have a DD & her family that live there(well 30 minutes from North Little Rock) They spend a lot of their camping time at DeGray Resort state park.we have camped there several times ourselves and it is really nice.Diamond mine state park is nice too,you have to drive on a long winding road to get there but the trip is worth it.

Have fun and enjoy your trip. Happy camping,
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:23 PM   #13

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
I like Petit Jean State Park, not far west of you. Some wonderful overlooks. Nice CG under the pines, too. Weather should be pretty nice on Sunday... at least, here in Tulsa it's supposed to be mid 60's.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:13 AM   #14

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
For you who have added propane to your EggCampers...where did you run the gas line? And Jim...where did you mount the Wave heater? For whoever asked if no furnace or broken furnace...no furnace and we're moteling the first two nights because most northern campgrounds are closed. We started with a huge pile of snow on the Egg. Got several inches, it got rained on compacting the snow, got another 14 inches on top of the previous. That got rained on compacting all. Then it froze to the trailer. Left home (MI) yesterday morning. Tonight at North Little Rock the snow is gone. Should be able to use the Egg tomorrow night. Temps have been in the low 20s until this afternoon. Gas mpg increased every fillup as more and more snow came off.
Bob, I mounted my Wave !!! below the electric heater (it is a surface mount) and the propane alarm below the refer, ran copper line outside underneath curbside to rubber hose from single 10 lb tank inside the front storage box(which had 2 X 27 batteries.
My job wasn't as nice as Ron's install but it worked. Trying to locate my pictures.