One more thing ... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2020, 03:44 PM   #1

Name: Rich
Trailer: Escape
United States
Registry
One more thing ...

Actually, there will probably be more than one more thing, but here’s today’s lesson for a newbie (me). Prop open the refrigerator door after camping if you don’t plan to use it again right away. Went out to do some work on our Scamp today and needed some water for cleanup. I remembered I had left a jug in the refrigerator so I reached for that. Eww, gross! Lots of black mold inside. Reminded me of a gross out scene with Tom Cruise in Minority Report. It cleaned up really easy and now I’ve added “prop open refrig door after use” to my check list.
St Paul, MN
rpassmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 04:08 PM   #2

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Yep!

My wife cups a 4" length of split pool noodle onto the inside edge of the
door shelf(s) to hold the distance and then one of the smallest Harbor Freight
bungees gets looped over the latch mechanism and back to hold the door
securely with that slight opening .....

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 07:08 PM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
So, are you back from Seattle? You left us all hanging back there after reporting in from Bismarck!

Since we haven't broken out the trailer yet this year, I'm sure going to try and at least hear from those who did get some travelling in. ; )

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 06:08 PM   #4

Name: Rich
Trailer: Escape
United States
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
So, are you back from Seattle? You left us all hanging back there after reporting in from Bismarck!

Since we haven't broken out the trailer yet this year, I'm sure going to try and at least hear from those who did get some travelling in. ; )
Thanks for asking Civilguy. The trip was great, no major issues with the camper and no complaints about campsites. In addition to driveway camping while in Seattle, we ended up spending 6 nights in various campsites, 4 of which were KOAs. We are not normally KOA type campers, we prefer county, state and federal parks but these aren't normal times. While KOA isn't my thing, I thought accommodations were fine. 2 of the 4 KOAs allowed us to check in without actually talking to anybody in person, the other 2 were a little friendlier, which was fine. We wore our masks and they didn't poke fun at us. We stayed at Beaver Tail Hill State Park in western Montana and it was fine, no check in, we just drove to our campsite which was already tagged for us. Probably the worst camping was at Cedar Pass campgrounds in the Badlands. We've camped in the Badlands before so we knew what to expect. This time, there was no water available in the campsite area. The only water was in the dumping station. They had one marked potable and one marked waste. They were separated by some distance but it did give me pause. We're still alive and didn't get sick so I guess it was fine.

In terms of newbie goofs, just a couple I will admit to. I dumped our tanks just fine but forgot to close the valve after emptying the black water the second time so we had some spillage, not a lot. And I left the refrigerator closed when we got home so I was greeted with black mold a week later.

And in terms of how the Scamp performed, it was great. We thought the 45" bed might be a challenge, but we slept fine. We used the furnace a couple of mornings to take the chill off before morning coffee and we ran the A/C once while in the Badlands. We learned that Dometic refrigerator doesn't cool very well when it's 90 degrees outside, so we lost some food. I never take chances with food safety, if in doubt, throw it out.

The only unresolved issue is the potential leak coming from the A/C. I read up on the forum here about possible causes. We only had one night of leaks after a particularly heavy rain. Other, lesser rain events didn't seem to cause a problem. I have it on my watch list.

Overall, we're very pleased and looking forward to our next outing. Which is next weekend at Father Hennepin State Park on the eastern shore of Lake Mille Lacs here in central Minnesota. And I've got a Monday morning appointment in Backus to get my axle tab welded so our floor stops creaking. Scam said they are very busy with service appointments, which makes sense since they've been closed down like almost everyone else.
St Paul, MN
rpassmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 07:41 PM   #5

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpassmore View Post
In terms of newbie goofs, just a couple I will admit to.
Maybe we need to start a thread of the silliest things we've ever done. I could make a few contributions for sure. Even today, we go through a pretty granular checklist for hitching and unhitching. Those aren't the times to do something that might cause regret.

We stayed at Bernie and Sharon's Riverfront RV Park in Garrison, MT on our way home from Yellowstone. It's one of those truly unique places you'll find on the road. They have an old farmhouse that houses the showers and such, further including some upholstered chairs and a chess board in the front room. It wouldn't be to everyone's taste, but I like places that didn't come off of a corporate drafting table.

Absorption refrigerators' performance really suffer when they have a sidewall upper vent; an installation with a roof vent works much better. I jumped into a thread of Zach O's and tried unsuccessfully to help him out with his, but I did get our Casita's working much better by adding some baffling. I don't know how Scamp installs their refrigerators, but Casita definitely does not fulfill the manufacturer's recommendations.

Anyway, thanks for the posting. I enjoy hearing about people's trips.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 08:17 PM   #6

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Elaborate if you will on what is wrong with the Casita refrigerator setup. I bought a 2010 17SD to get me by temporarily and have only slept in it one night without using any appliances. What should I fix?