Opinions about buying without an AC Unit? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 01-18-2018, 12:35 AM   #21

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Linck View Post
Pic of big rock at Zion National Park
I have a 16x20 color print of a picture I took of that exact hill 30 or 35 years ago.. was shot on 2-1/4 x 2-3/4 inch film ('6x7' format). came out spectacular but I'm afraid I don't have a digital version, and I don't even know where the negative is anymore. I think the foreground trees were less intrusive in the picture.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 12:45 AM   #22

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
British Columbia
[QUOTE=John Linck;679413]I too wish I had sliders. /QUOTE]

I have sliders.
When I want an unobstructed view, I go outside. I expect it would be the same if I had awning.
The view from inside, at most campgrounds, is nothing to write home about.
I can understand a discussion about airflow, but view??
Old 01-18-2018, 01:04 AM   #23

Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
I know with our Casita, I had homebrew reflectix blackout pieces in all the windows pretty much all the time. the reflectix kept it cool in the afternoon, kept our nighttime light from bleeding and annoying my fellow astronomers, and kept it dark inside until mid day so I could sleep in after a late night of telescoping.

yeah, whenever it was nice, we'd sit outside.

only very occasionally would we remove the reflectix by the Casita's dinette window, often that was at a road side vista point where we'd be stopping for lunch while traveling.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 01:13 AM   #24

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
British Columbia
Just to contradict myself, here's a view we had once. But, it's through a fixed window, neither slider nor awning.
Attached Thumbnails
Race Rocks.jpg  
Old 01-18-2018, 04:56 AM   #25
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Lots of discussion about awning versus slider on the Escape Owners Forum when Escape made awning windows available.
They don't let rain in when open and apparently allow lots of airflow.
I don't see that they block the view
Quote:
I can understand a discussion about airflow, but view??
The discussion is about air flow. You're the one that mentioned the view.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 06:18 AM   #26
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
...and still costs less, even after you add both!

Scamp's a la carte pricing makes it easy to have exactly what you want. But it's a smaller trailer with a smaller bed, so I'm guessing that's why it's not on the short list.
Yes, but you pay in other ways.

Escape also has a la cartel pricing, but many more items on the menu (not sure about Oliver). Escape will also customize certain things if asked. “Customize” is not in Scamp’s or Casita’s vocabulary. I’m not criticizing when I say that, it is just the way it is. The customer must make any non-standard alterations AFTER taking delivery.
CPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 06:32 AM   #27

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
There seems to be some confusion about awning windows and jalousie windows. Two different things. Awning windows are one piece and tip out from the top. Jalousies have multiple panes that crank out. Scamp now uses a combination of sliders and radius jalousies. Casita has sliders, and Escape recently switched from sliders to awning windows.

Awning windows are good for unobstructed views, but they do partially block the direct flow of breezes. Jalousies give the best ventilation- they swing out much wider- but lots of view-blocking frames. Both are good in the rain.

Sliders are not as good in the rain and clear less than half the window for ventilation. Advantages are simplicity and nothing protrudes.

Getting back on topic, window type matters if you are planning to camp without AC. The more ventilation the better.

My Scamp has sliders. Ventilation is adequate except in the front, which has only a fixed plexiglass window (through which we've had some nice views). It can get stuffy in the front bunk area at night. We camp without AC, but not in hot, humid places.

As a kid living in Maryland we camped locally as well as all over the country without AC. Shade, fans, and the wide open windows of a tent trailer made it bearable. We were so happy to be out traveling, we didn't complain... much!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 07:40 AM   #28
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
There seems to be some confusion about awning windows and jalousie windows. Two different things. Awning windows are one piece and tip out from the top. Jalousies have multiple panes that crank out. Scamp now uses a combination of sliders and radius jalousies. Casita has sliders, and Escape recently switched from sliders to awning windows.

Awning windows are good for unobstructed views, but they do partially block the direct flow of breezes. Jalousies give the best ventilation- they swing out much wider- but lots of view-blocking frames. Both are good in the rain.

Sliders are not as good in the rain and clear less than half the window for ventilation. Advantages are simplicity and nothing protrudes.

Getting back on topic, window type matters if you are planning to camp without AC. The more ventilation the better.

My Scamp has sliders. Ventilation is adequate except in the front, which has only a fixed plexiglass window (through which we've had some nice views). It can get stuffy in the front bunk area at night. We camp without AC, but not in hot, humid places.

As a kid living in Maryland we camped locally as well as all over the country without AC. Shade, fans, and the wide open windows of a tent trailer made it bearable. We were so happy to be out traveling, we didn't complain... much!

Exactly. Well said.

The Jalousie windows that Scamp uses are made by Hehr. The side lites have a constant width. Larger windows in the series have larger openings. Scamp uses the smaller versions. For comparison look at Happier Camper. Theirs are bigger. Also, when I looked into Escape, despite their reputation for flexibility, Jalousies were not an option.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 07:56 AM   #29

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
sliders and such

we have sliders we are in johns camp we have a/c but never use it have not need it. been in 96d wx also just get outside we have a 12v fan by 12pm we are looking for covers and turning the fan off.

our scamper has a/c wish I didn't have all that weight on top I cant imgagine running a 13000 outfit in a 10f space!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 08:10 AM   #30

Name: Consuelo
Trailer: Researching
Tennessee
Thanks for the input from all!

Yes, we live in TN but camp in the mountains. It is wonderfully cool in the evenings...

We have a ducted-air AC/heat pump system in the "basement" of our motor home - it is a great unit when we're hooked up to shore power or willing to run the onboard Onan genset (.75 gals of gas/hr). But we dry-camp most of the time and much prefer to use the quieter, more fuel-efficient Honda EU2000i which can't even begin to fire up the big AC system.

I can't imagine spending time during the day inside a 17' camper during hot weather... I would expire from claustrophobia before the heat killed me

Anyway, we will probably fold and get an AC unit - mostly because of resale value and because I prefer not to add a unit later and then have to deal with roof leaks that no-one wants to "own". I just wish the AC units were lower-profile... imo, the Lil Snoozy config is by far the best!
Old 01-18-2018, 08:19 AM   #31

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
a/c

small campers such as a 13f scamper force you to the outside. we camp in the mo. Ozarks hot and humid in the hottest weather we have never needed a/c. most state parks offer good shade we get outside and enjoy nature and watching people watch us!

after our tenting days which I miss by the way a camper is heaven to just get off the ground.

I have ran a 40f eagle bus I would never do it again it wore me out and although we could boondock it just wasn't fun. it had a huge generator loud but there was no way to run it anywhere close to anyone.

I really feel with our 13f scamper it really isn't camping at times but so nice when the huge rainstorms occur. our last trout fishing trip we had a huge rainstorm a couple in a tent left and left their tent laying on the ground!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:49 AM   #32

Name: Tryonbrewer
Trailer: Northern Lite
South Carolina
I've got a Northern Lite TC and don't have roof air because this model only has one hole in the roof and giving up my Fantastic Fan for venting fresh air in the majority of weather just was not an option I wanted to give up. So, I bought one of those portable AC units that have a duct out the window. Yes, they are not all that efficient because incoming fresh air has to displace the hot air being blown out the window, but I use a drain line out the power cord port on the side of the camper and the thing works. It also cost me less than $200 for the unit, a Soleus.

I've camped in Florida, Georgia, my home state of SC and most southern states. The fantastic fan works most of the time to keep my wife and me cool and when it's too hot, the AC gets taken out of storage, hooked up and we use it.

If I had the option of both, we'd probably have AC and the Fantastic Fan. The idea of using a window unit mounted on the side of the camper as in the Casita 16' seems to make a lot of sense to me, as I've seen fiberglass campers that had leaking and structural issues due to the weight of the AC on the roof. These were all older campers though.

It seems a little odd looking out my window at the snow blanketing the Blue Ridge mountains, but stay cool
tschager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:18 AM   #33

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
I purposely ordered my Escape 5.0TA without air conditioning. Although it is A/C ready with the needed support and wiring. When I was working on my build sheet, I had to be cognizant of my budget. Things that needed to be done during the building stage versus items that could be added later. Air conditioning fell into "add later." For me, the biggest reason is I knew I wouldn't be traveling for at least three years where A/C would be needed. I can handle dang near anything for a couple of days. AND appliances typically only come with a one year warranty. I wasn't interested in spending THAT kind of money for something that wouldn't get used A LOT. Having that expense sit until the warranty ran out would not be smart spending on my part. When the time comes, I'll have A/C added and the warranty will start then.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:21 AM   #34

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
Yes, but you pay in other ways.

Escape also has a la cartel pricing, but many more items on the menu (not sure about Oliver). Escape will also customize certain things if asked. “Customize” is not in Scamp’s or Casita’s vocabulary. I’m not criticizing when I say that, it is just the way it is. The customer must make any non-standard alterations AFTER taking delivery.
It seems we are stuck with packages of features in most everything we buy nowadays even vehicles,
(remember DSO?)
I have a "Custom Deluxe" Scamp which has many custom features. You should see my build sheet!
The margins have no more room for notes. Not only that, but they were both attentive and happy to accommodate me, even after multiple calls to make changes. Custom is in their vocabulary. In fact "A la carte" is actually a form of producing a Custom result.
"A la cartel" on the other hand, seems ominous even in the best light!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 01:29 PM   #35

Trailer: Casita
Nevada
Get it. For sure. Get everything. If you think you won't need these things now, you will probably regret later on that you do not have them, such as an awning, TV/DVD hookups, awning etc. Besides, come time to sell it, you will have an easier time to get a decent price. Who wants one of these units w/o such things...They are essentials to many people.
Brightbluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 01:53 PM   #36

Name: Dave (and/or John)
Trailer: Scamp 16 (sold), Escape 19
Georgia
Registry
Having an air conditioner on ours is one of those options we really enjoy having. This is our first camper with A/C but it opens up more camping possibilities for us, just like the on board heater does. One example is the trip from the North rim of the Grand Canyon to Joshua Tree National Park with a couple days stopover in Las Vegas. We left the snow at the North rim (where we used the heater) and hit temperatures in Las Vegas over 100 degrees (where we used the air conditioner) and then on to Joshua Tree (where we used the heater again).
Of course, down here in the South the heat and humidity can make having the A/C a necessity for keeping the camper dry in the summer. Although we go without electric hookups often, there are times where we seek out the hookups because the heat will be too oppressive without the A/C at night.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 03:33 PM   #37
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
It seems we are stuck with packages of features in most everything we buy nowadays even vehicles,
(remember DSO?)
I have a "Custom Deluxe" Scamp which has many custom features. You should see my build sheet!
The margins have no more room for notes. Not only that, but they were both attentive and happy to accommodate me, even after multiple calls to make changes. Custom is in their vocabulary. In fact "A la carte" is actually a form of producing a Custom result.
"A la cartel" on the other hand, seems ominous even in the best light!
Floyd, you are so right on with vehicles. Everything is “bundled.” Can only get this option with this package, can’t get it alone. Kinda drives you nuts.

Also, I was not taking umbrage with Scamp. Yes, you get options but I couldn’t get custom work. All I asked for was that they put a couple of shelves in the closet because we fold our clothes rather than hanging them. I was told by the salesman “you can put them in after you take delivery.” I didn’t think I was asking “for the world.” Apparently, the salesman did. Perhaps he was just having a bad day. After ordering shelves for the wardrobe closet from Escape, they called me to ask me how I wanted them spaced. And a la cartel is another example of the damn auto correct feature. Also drives you nuts!
CPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 03:44 PM   #38

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by caheath View Post
I've been RV'ing for about 10 years, and was a tent camper for many years before that. My RV'ing started with a camper van that had a turtle top upon which was mounted an AC unit with a heat strip. My next RV was a 28' Class A and I currently have a 35' Class A. Anyway, we have pretty much decided to down-size to a fiberglass trailer... hence my presence on this forum.

Back when I had the camper van I rarely ran the AC because it was way too noisy and claustrophobic. Do any of you feel the same way about the roof AC in your 13'-19' camper?

I am still researching and have not made a decision yet, but I'm seriously considering buying a new unit and am looking very closely at the Escape 17' and the Casita 17'B. With the Escape, the AC is a $1,100 option and I hate to spend that when I probably won't use the darn thing. And, I suppose it's possible Casita would give me some sort of credit rather than install the standard roof AC.

I'm thinking that fresh air motivated by the roof vent fan would be fine, and I guess there are also portable cooling fans that *might* be helpful.

I'm also a little concerned about how the lack of an AC unit could affect the resale value.

Thoughts?
:if you visit places like death Valley you will need the AC, trying to sleep in 120*F Heat is impossible unless you get drunk and pass out.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 09:43 AM   #39

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
Floyd, you are so right on with vehicles. Everything is “bundled.” Can only get this option with this package, can’t get it alone. Kinda drives you nuts.

Also, I was not taking umbrage with Scamp. Yes, you get options but I couldn’t get custom work. All I asked for was that they put a couple of shelves in the closet because we fold our clothes rather than hanging them. I was told by the salesman “you can put them in after you take delivery.” I didn’t think I was asking “for the world.” Apparently, the salesman did. Perhaps he was just having a bad day. After ordering shelves for the wardrobe closet from Escape, they called me to ask me how I wanted them spaced. And a la cartel is another example of the damn auto correct feature. Also drives you nuts!
I do recall having a problem with one custom change that I wanted and I was told it couldn't be done, so I simply called the cabinet shop and explained what I wanted and got it done. That might have worked for your shelves as well.
I understand about that auto correct feature, glad I don't have one.
This computer is coming up on 20 YO
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 09:48 AM   #40

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
I don't have AC in my camper, but I live in Minnesota. Even at home I run it maybe 30 days out of the year.

Tennessee might be another story though.
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote