Opinions Need One ! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2007, 04:28 PM   #1

Trailer: 2007 13 ft Scamp / 2006 Jeep Liberty Renagade V6
Ok. We've looked at both the Scamp & the Casita brochures. (this is teds other half) What got me was the 16' Casita deluxe package has more in than the Scamp custom. Ted wants Scamp for the R15 insulation. but having to add all those option would really rack up the price. The Casita deluxe package came with everything including a/c. Also the Casita weighed a little more, we didn't know if that would make a difference on towing with our Jeep Liberty. We're new to this and would like a opinion on what would be the best. Fire away both Scamp & Casita Owners! Thanks
ted saxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 05:27 PM   #2

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
Ok, here is my opinion.
I had a Scamp 16 ft and sold it, bought a Casita 16 ft. My personal opinion is the Casita is made much better. I live in Minnesota and hesitated about getting a Casita because I did just go to Scamp for anything I needed done (not mechanical minded in any way). I am not sorry I switched, but if ever getting another Scamp I would surely be adding those extras that already come with the Casita. I feel the Casita is quality compared to the Scamp, but others here may differ. I just think Casita's are made better now that I have owned both.
However there is nothing wrong with a Scamp. I did like mine.
Just my opinion for what it is worth.
I pull mine with a Mercury Villager Mini Van. No problems with it but I am guessing I am close to my 3500 weight limit when loaded.

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 05:49 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
We own a Casita (2nd one). We've been to the Scamp factory and looked at the Scamps.
What I like about the Casita is that it seems so light and airy. The Scamp reminds me more of a "retro" camper--the cabinets, toilet, etc. remind me of campers we had when I was a kid. Scamp does have a top-of-the-line version with very nice wooden cabinet doors.

I like the floor plans from Casita better. Scamp advertises that they can do a custom floor plan, but when I asked about it, they told me they stuck to the basic floorplan(s).

I've heard that the Scamps are insulated better (probably for those Minnesota winters)

that's my two cents!

Linda
Linda Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 06:39 PM   #4

Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft Gaucho
I'd look at the floor plans and figure what best suits your needs. Having been to 4 fiberglass rallies and toured dozens of trailers, I can say scamp and casita owners are very happy campers. You can hardly go wrong on choice of brand. We owned a 17' Spirit Deluxe for 2 years and it was wonderful. Realize that with the 16' Casita you will have a smaller frig and less headroom.

Floor plan is very important. Do you have dogs? Do you need a second bed? Do you mind the feel of the cushions for one floor plan and prefer captain chairs, but willing to give up the bed and a few inches of precious floor space?

You should tour all the floor plans before making up your mind because you're stuck with it!

Good luck!
Ericpa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 07:03 PM   #5

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
I have not had a Casita, but I've had just about every other brand including all three sizes of Scamp. The single thing that Scamp offers that no one else does is a complete custom floorplan in the wood of your choice if you go with the Custom Deluxe models. Two of my Scamps were CD models, the other was a standard. The full wood interior, while slightly heavier, really makes for a more elegant feel to the inside.

Casita offers larger tanks than Scamp which may or may not be significant to you (it wasn't to us, nor are the larger tanks yet in the Bigfoot a selling point for me).

Scamp offers the 19' fifth wheel, Casita offers the 17' in several floorplans. Scamp has an open treated floor, Casita's is enclosed. None of these features is "better" either way, and each has it limits so it really boils down to what you find important for the way you intend to use it.

Happy Hunting!

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 07:47 PM   #6

Trailer: 2007 13 ft Scamp / 2006 Jeep Liberty Renagade V6
one dog and two humans, so the extra bed isn't necessary (Unless the dog wants one) We
both liked the casita freedom deluxe. I have a bed and don't have to put it away everyday. Was thinking about putting up a curtain somehow to hide the bed. And with the captain chairs & table we could sit our TV on it. Has lots of cabinets and a outside storage too so that was a plus. One thing is to get a furnance or not. Everybody here seems to get along without one. We own a lil cube ceramic heater & a mr heater propane heater. In such small inclosed space I think that would be plenty of heat. Anyhoo we'll end up getting somthing Thanks All
ted saxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 10:10 PM   #7

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Lynne and I looked at both the Scamp and Casita floorplans, and really liked the idea of pulling a Casita 17 . . . then we went to a Gathering and had a look inside Scamps and Casitas and Escapes . . . and decided to jump ship to a Scamp 5th wheel. The moral of the story is you won't know which of them are a good fit for you until you walk around, stand up inside, and sit down in the dinette of several different models. It really is the only way to make sure your expectations match the floorplans.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 07:36 AM   #8

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
I have to agree with Ericpa3.. look at the floor plans and see what 'your' needs are.... I have had the 13. 16side dinnette. and now i have the Scamp 5er...... I have seen the inside of the Casitas and they are very very nice... Personally I do think the Casita puts a little better quality into thier trailers than the scamp, but they are alittle heavier than the scamps and they dont make a 5th wheel....
Both are nice......
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 02:03 PM   #9

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Don't let the insulation value effect your decision one way or another.

We have a 17ft' Casita Libery Deluxe, and spent last Nov. in Indianapolis, where it was consistantly in the teens (F), and down to 3 degrees one night.

We were a toasty 70 degrees in the Casita
Attached Thumbnails
BigSmile.jpg  
LSChilders is offline   Reply With Quote