Opinions on AC/Refrigerator use - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2020, 05:43 PM   #1

Name: Jim
Trailer: Bigfoot 25RQ
Mississippi
Opinions on AC/Refrigerator use

Since owning a camper there are several things I do on a recurring or full-time basis.
1. Once or twice a month I run the AC for a day plus the refridge using gas and electric, usually gas for 12 hours then AC for 12 hours.
2. Run the hot water heater on gas and electric long enough to heat a tank with each.
3. Use a dehumidifier at all times that camper isn't being used. I ran a separate power cord into the camper so the dehumidifier can be used without power on the camper.

I have always been a believer that anything mechanical/electrical left to sit for long periods of time isn't good for the equipment.
Friend of mine tells me I'm wasting my time, I don't think so and will continue doing what I do.

What are some thoughts from other camper owners out there?
snuffy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 06:59 PM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffy2 View Post
I have always been a believer that anything mechanical/electrical left to sit for long periods of time isn't good for the equipment.
Friend of mine tells me I'm wasting my time, I don't think so and will continue doing what I do....
I fully agree. Even wheel bearings.. popular opinion is that letting them sit to long will cause problems. The only thing I might question is the dehu.. sometimes its needed, but good ventilation is usually sufficient IMHO.

Exercising the various systems is good for them, but the added benefit is that by using them once in awhile you are much more likely to discovery any issues. As for the A/C.. running it will also let you know if the birds have built a nest that blocks the fan.. that happened to me twice in five years.

Don't change your routine.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 08:50 PM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffy2 View Post
This is very true of mechanical equipment; at least any mechanical equipment that has moving parts.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 11:07 AM   #4

Name: Rita
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD; 2017 Toyota Highlander with tow package
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
I fully agree. Even wheel bearings.. popular opinion is that letting them sit to long will cause problems. The only thing I might question is the dehu.. sometimes its needed, but good ventilation is usually sufficient IMHO.

Exercising the various systems is good for them, but the added benefit is that by using them once in awhile you are much more likely to discovery any issues. As for the A/C.. running it will also let you know if the birds have built a nest that blocks the fan.. that happened to me twice in five years.

Don't change your routine.
Depends on where you are for humidity control. NE Kansas in the summer would not stay dry with just ventilation. I needed to run a dehumidifier night and day and the air conditioner (I was living in it).
rlsooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 08:31 PM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
I am on well water and have found it's not a good idea to let water stand in the fresh water tanks untreated. So, If I'm not gonna use it soon, I add a tablespoon or so of bleach and then run the faucets to get it through the system. Then I drain and refill the system, while running the faucets, to get ready for a trip.

If you get back from a trip with anything in the black tank, it's best to drain it right after getting home.

Running the AC and fridge for a whole day, twice a month, is WAY beyond my idea of regular maintenance.

In real cold weather, I leave the water heater on with either electric or propane, and run my recirculating hot water system, while leaving an oil heater on low inside.

I park it under a carport, so the sun stays off of it. In the warmer months, it's nice to leave it slightly open for ventilation. And always leave the fridge doors ajar while not on trips.

It is always plugged in, so I keep an eye on battery voltage and leave them connected.
Old 05-17-2020, 09:10 PM   #6

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
I can agree somewhat most places I go I have access to sewer,water,electric. I only ever run my fridge on electric even though it has DC & propane , the furnace I don't use mostly as I normally use a space heater but do test it several times a season on propane. I was caught once with the furnace the year my trailer got broke into I did not notice the missing space heater till a wet cool night in fall and for sure needed the furnace lucky for me that the furnace worked as it should since then I do test it. My AC I do turn on even if not needed once in a while just to be sure. So I guess yes checking things is a good thing as far as the dehumidifier goes it likely depends on where you are.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 07:53 AM   #7

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Here in North Florida I keep my much modified Scamp 16' plugged in and the heat pump on to keep the mold and mildew at bay. I have a Norcold DE490 compressor refrigerator and I keep it running as well.
I spent too much time and effort cleaning the 1985 interior, scrubbing, priming with Bullseye 123 anti mold and painting with an anti mold interior paint.
No desire to do that again!
The mini-split heat pump is very efficient as is the refrigerator so the added cost to the house electric bill is minimal.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 04:54 PM   #8

Name: John
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Over the top, moderate use is sufficient

I agree with the other comment who felt that running the AC for a FULL DAY is a waste of you (and our) electricity. Running it for 20 minutes once a month should be sufficient to ensure that it's still sealed and any internal lubricant gets moved around. The fridge on either AC or propane once a month is likely okay, too. And when I have it stored on jackstands for the winter, I don't bother with those (since it's winterized). I keep the h2o heater empty nearly all the time and don't see a point in filling it just to run it.
But thanks for the discussion
JDeBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 04:57 PM   #9

Florida
Big difference in Wisconsin and Florida.
20 minutes a month down here would just start to cool the mold.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:49 AM   #10

Name: Cliff
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Connecticut
If you have an absorption type fridge, most rv’s use them, you really don’t have any moving parts, no compressor or fans. Don’t know what you would be exercising. When running them on electric it’s just a resistance heater, which will last forever if you don’t use it, and when running on gas the only moving part there is a solenoid.
As for the AC if you have a portable window unit many remove for the off season, where I live that would be at least 5 months of the year. I don’t know anyone who pulls theirs out to “exercise “ it once a month.
Cliff Hotchkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 10:06 AM   #11

Florida
In the humid South it is not really an issue of exercising the units, it is an issue of keeping the moisture and mold from getting started and ruining the interior. It doesn't take long for a closed camper to take on the smell of a wet dog.
I will spend the little amount it takes to keep my ultra sensitive wife happy. Well really she did not give me a choice....
Old 05-24-2020, 01:22 PM   #12

Name: Cliff
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
In the humid South it is not really an issue of exercising the units, it is an issue of keeping the moisture and mold from getting started and ruining the interior. It doesn't take long for a closed camper to take on the smell of a wet dog.
I will spend the little amount it takes to keep my ultra sensitive wife happy. Well really she did not give me a choice....
I never leave my camper closed tight. The roof vent is always open and the small bathroom window. Seems to provide the needed ventilation. In 3 years now have had no issues with mold but I live in New England.
Wouldn’t a dehumidifier do a more efficient job for you. Leave it on 24/7 just set the control to kick in at desired level. You could run a drain hose into shower drain so as not to worry about emptying.
Cliff Hotchkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 01:35 PM   #13

Florida
In the case of the dehumidifier the A/C does that as it also has a humidity control setting, but with he high efficiency of the mini-split it may be more efficient that the dehumidifier and it takes care of the condensate drain.
90 degree F and 90 % humidity is a real thing down here, especially along the coast.
Old 05-24-2020, 01:36 PM   #14

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Our 13 is at a Storage Facility so we can't leave windows/vents open in case of rain. With Hubby's heart attack and other life circumstances she sat there untouched for 3 yrs. She has been covered the first 6 of her 8 yrs. I was nervous to open her up after all this time yet she was dry and mold free with no ventilation or damp rid etc. We're in Central FL where it's insanely humid. Not sure why we didn't have any mold etc but very thankful. Hopefully life gets back to normal and she never is left alone that long again. She is back under cover. It is a breathable cover so maybe that helps......
Old 05-27-2020, 03:39 PM   #15

Name: Jim
Trailer: Bigfoot 25RQ
Mississippi
Electricty

In response to this.

I agree with the other comment who felt that running the AC for a FULL DAY is a waste of you (and our) electricity. Running it for 20 minutes once a month should be sufficient to ensure that it's still sealed and any internal lubricant gets moved around

Well it's actually my electricity. I use it, I pay for it, I also use it in two shops, a house and a covered 25' by 35' cover we store camper under when we don't have our sail boat home for it's annual cleanings/inspections,it's on our property. If we run out of electricity here and I run an extension cord to your area then I might see your point!

Yes those types of comments really irritate me.
snuffy2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator