Opinions regarding Coleman Camp Stove - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-25-2022, 12:07 PM   #1

Name: Michelle
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Opinions regarding Coleman Camp Stove

Hello, we're considering getting a Coleman Camp Stove. We have an old Coleman propane stove that is beat up but works like a champ. It has the two propane jets (?).

I've never seen one in use. If anyone has used one in the past, I'd like to pick your brain to see if you think it was worth it. I'm primarily interested in baking things like brownies, etc.

Is the temperature gauge to be trusted?

Does the oven prefer a certain rack level?

I've read that it doesn't heat consistently in windy conditions.
If you had to do it again, would you have bought the oven?

Opinions and advice, please!
Meadowlark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 12:59 PM   #2

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
I assume that you are asking about the Coleman oven that sits on top of their stove. I have an old one that was made back when they did not fold. The one rack was not adjustable and the thermometer was accurate enough for camp cooking. I used it with an old Coleman gasoline stove for baking all kinds of things. I shield it from the wind, because it just worked better. That said, when we bought the first Scamp, I started, and continue to use a Cobb Grill as my camping oven.
Old 09-27-2022, 05:30 PM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
The fold up Coleman oven takes some practice with regard to what’s being baked, ambient temperature, wind direction and flame height. I met a fellow years ago who was very good at cooking on one. Personally I’ve never been very good at it. I have an old Raemco 7 in one stove ( wood, charcoal or coal) that has a heavier duty oven, considerably bigger than the Coleman. It works well. There are other stove top ovens on the market If you do some research. I will say it’s very satisfying when a camp oven dish or a Dutch oven recipe comes out to perfection and is worth the effort in my opinion. Start simple and proceed from there. A burned up Jiffy Cake and you’re only out a buck.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 05:20 PM   #4

Name: Michelle
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Oh, you must have been my neighbor the first time I used a Dutch Oven. My specialty was Charcoal Jiffy bricks. :-(
Meadowlark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 06:14 PM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
I’ve seen a few of those. Looked like an oversized clay bird. And about as hard. I have target practiced rice cakes. Cucumbers and zucchini but never a Dutch oven failure.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 12:28 PM   #6

Trailer: 16 ft Casita
I have a Camp Chef two burners on top with oven on the bottom with its own burner and it works good have baked a few things in it .
johnlochbuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 10:09 PM   #7

Name: Dan
Trailer: 1975 Boler 1300
British Columbia
Our Coleman folding oven gets used at least one night per camping weekend. Usually we'll do a smaller chicken, natchos, or for warming up foods we've brought from home. We've found using a tile (or even a few flat rocks) to dissipate the heat helps, and the temp gauge is accurate enough to use. It uses one side of the Coleman 2-burner (with the wind screen down), and allows enough space to use the other burner at the same time. Couldn't imagine not having one now, especially since our Boler doesn't have an oven.
Argus is offline   Reply With Quote