Optimal trailer size for boondocking? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2016, 08:35 PM   #21

Name: Margaret
Trailer: in the market
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
Practice by walling off a space with cardboard boxes and cabinets bed and such representing a trailer interior and see how it feels with you and the dogs in it. Could you and the dogs live in a fairly narrow space that is 10' long or 13' long or do you need one that is 16', 17', etc. Having a van for a tow vehicle is a big help in reducing the trailer size needed to carry enough gear for longer stay boon docking. But can you manage to cook a meal with the dogs underfoot on the floor? In bad weather those dogs will be wet from being outside and you will not want them up on the bed or couch.
Yes, I did exactly that yesterday!! The actual floor space was pretty small, but when the bed is turned into a dinette, it would work. I have a hair dryer for the dogs, but I cover things with old bedspreads. The two dogs and I wouldn't fit in a 3 x 3 sq. foot space, so they would need to behave, and go to their allotted space.

Regardless, I need something with which I can boondock!!

Margaret
Lonely Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:36 PM   #22

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sands View Post
My wife and I & 3 dogs (8, 30, & 70 pounds) have been boondocking full time for the last 7 months in our Scamp 16 & we love it! Tow is a Toyota Highlander, Scamp has a 4" lift. Been in BLM/Forest sites in AZ, NM, CO, UT. Use common sense, spend a little time researching, you can find great spots to camp with almost any rig. Have fun!
Great info., thanks. The 16 footers are now hard to find, but I'll look around.

Margaret
Old 05-24-2016, 08:39 PM   #23

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I built a 13 to accommodate a couple and two small dogs. we built space under the permanent bed for the pups and everyone was comfy.
I think you would need something larger since your pets are medium sized and would require more space.If you did a Scamp16, you could find a way to make everyone happy.
If you don't share sleeping space with the dogs you could easily make up the side dinette or the front bottom bunk for them. I have a plan which would allow for the large dinette to be a permanent bunk sized bed and a two person dinette at the same time. you could even use the front bath or the closet space for your pets. I can think of a dozen variations to make you all comfortable and allow space for each.
Hi Floyd,

They sleep with me! They are family, even if they do give me a stuffy nose, LOL.

If I can find a 16', I'll look at it.

Margaret
Old 05-24-2016, 08:40 PM   #24

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
A Scamp 16 is the perfect boondocking/dry camping trailer. Why? Because it is the one I have, so I choose boondock/dry camp sites to suit my rig, not vice versa.
Hi Timber, what kind of vehicle do you tow it with?

Margaret
Old 05-24-2016, 08:42 PM   #25

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sands View Post
My wife and I & 3 dogs (8, 30, & 70 pounds) have been boondocking full time for the last 7 months in our Scamp 16 & we love it! Tow is a Toyota Highlander, Scamp has a 4" lift. Been in BLM/Forest sites in AZ, NM, CO, UT. Use common sense, spend a little time researching, you can find great spots to camp with almost any rig. Have fun!
Toyota Highlander, ok . . . .
Old 05-24-2016, 10:18 PM   #26

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Margaret, you've asked "What is the optimal size for boondocking?" and I would reply "There is no optimal size. It all depends on the person doing the boondocking." In our travels, we've seen people boondocking full time (or close to it) in everything from 40' motorhomes to Volkswagen camper vans. It's really all about where and how you want to boondock. Out west on BLM and Forest Service land, high clearance in both your trailer and tow vehicle is going to be important.

In my opinion a fifth wheel would definitely not be too big for boondocking. The size of your trailer is more about how many people (and pets) you want to accommodate than whether or not you want to boondock. Having good battery capacity, solar panels, adequate fresh water and gray/black water capacity and high clearance are the things I would be concerned about if I wanted to do a lot of boondocking.
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 05:36 AM   #27
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
We have a 13'. Dinnete in front and permanent bed in the back. No bath but we have a porta potti. This works fine for two adults and one golden retriever. We use the bed as a couch during the day. Plastic sheets and a cover protect the bed clothes from people and wet dog. If we were full timing, I would want something bigger with a shower. A Parkliner (15') would be my first choice. It has a queen bed, a side dinnete, and a front bath and lots of windows that can be left open in the rain. They are made in Burlington, N.C. Unfortunately even used they are pricey. A 16' Scamp or 16' or 17' Casita can be found for less. Good luck, Raz

ParkLiner Fiberglass Ultralight Travel Trailers - – Take me somewhere fun! ™
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:06 AM   #28

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
It partially depends on how much stuff you want to lug around with you in your trailer. Some folks buy 30' trailers, I think maybe because they want to take half their household goods with them!

I camp alone (wife doesn't want to camp any more, but she says go ahead and enjoy) and I've spent up to 3 weeks at a time camping in a 16' trailer. There was enough storage for everything I needed... even enough clothes and towels for the whole 3 weeks without a stop at the laundromat.

I towed with a 2008 Toyota Highlander AWD V6 and it did well. But you know, if I were full-timing, I'd probably want to tow that 16'er with a van or something... so I could stuff the van full of all the other things I'd want to take along. Stuff I might not have needed for a 3 week trip, but might want for a longer journey. Like a photo printer and paper, and extra cameras, and more coats and blankets, more tools, etc, etc.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:56 AM   #29

Name: Peggy
Trailer: Scamp 16ft.
Oregon
I have a 16 ft scamp 1997. I think it would work perfect for 1 person and 2 dogs. My 1 dog goes under the bed. The table folds down for a bed. The other small table I folded down for a couch. I love this size and it works for me. Pulling it with a pilot. Also own a teardrop but it doesnt work when the weather is nasty. no place to retreat to, unless laying in the bed or in your car. Good luck with your search. It has to work for you.
PeggyV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking