Order new Scamp w/real wood doors only? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-17-2011, 08:37 PM   #1

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Order new Scamp w/real wood doors only?

I was just sitting here on the Scamp website and got to wondering, since so many folks replace the orginal veneer cabinet doors anyway, is it possible to order a new Scamp with the nice wooden doors they use for their Deluxe but with the Fiberglass interior instead? You'd still have the lightweight Fiberglass but with the nice wood doors for those of us with no tools or skills to build our own. Now I wonder if you can order the doors seperately from the parts dept and install them. You think they would put the Gold stripes on the non-deluxe if we asked them? Hubby prefers the Gold. Otherwise, order it naked and then order the Gold striping and add it ourselves???

Just Pondering........
Old 02-17-2011, 09:13 PM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
I heard once that the nice wood cabinets are made by a supplier nearby. I think it was "across the street"

Another alternative is, I know you can order cabinet doors to spec on different websites. you choose the panel style, size, wood and finish. I think I have a link somewhere. Here's an example though:
They have a promo to send you a sample door to your specs for $20

Promo

Pricing

Regards,

Matt
Old 02-17-2011, 10:19 PM   #3

Thanks Matt! Those are georgeous and I didnt know you could order doors that way! The hardest part would be choosing which style/wood. Guess I could tell Scamp to leave the Veneer doors off, lol.

Melissa
melissab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:46 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
I was just sitting here on the Scamp website and got to wondering, since so many folks replace the orginal veneer cabinet doors anyway, is it possible to order a new Scamp with the nice wooden doors they use for their Deluxe but with the Fiberglass interior instead? You'd still have the lightweight Fiberglass but with the nice wood doors for those of us with no tools or skills to build our own. Now I wonder if you can order the doors seperately from the parts dept and install them. You think they would put the Gold stripes on the non-deluxe if we asked them? Hubby prefers the Gold. Otherwise, order it naked and then order the Gold striping and add it ourselves???

Just Pondering........
I'm guessing that short of miss-diagnosing axle wear, the most common misconception about Scamp is the idea that the wood cabinetry makes a significant difference in the weight.
When I ordered our deluxe Scamp I was given the choice of stripe color or no stripe at all.
I haven't tried it, but I'm sure you could special order oak panel doors at additional cost through the cabinet shop[not from the parts dept.] with the additional benefit that you would find them lighter than the MDF standard doors which are significantly heavier than plywood.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 06:55 AM   #5

Thanks Floyd, when I spoke to Scamp about the wood interior they said it will add about 400lbs to the 16 ft and with my tow being a minivan they suggested I stick with the Fiberglass interior. Hmmmmmmm, since the cabinet shop is close maybe I could just pay the difference between the veneer and the wood doors and not have to mess with shipping etc. I wonder if only the Deluxe orders get the option of Gold striping? I forgot to ask when I had Scamp on the phone.

Melissa
Old 02-18-2011, 11:32 AM   #6

Registry
Quote:
Thanks Floyd, when I spoke to Scamp about the wood interior they said it will add about 400lbs to the 16 ft and with my tow being a minivan they suggested I stick with the Fiberglass interior. Hmmmmmmm, since the cabinet shop is close maybe I could just pay the difference between the veneer and the wood doors and not have to mess with shipping etc. I wonder if only the Deluxe orders get the option of Gold striping? I forgot to ask when I had Scamp on the phone.

Melissa
The additional weight on the deluxe is largely due to the fact that they are consistently ordered with more cabinets and options than standard Scamps. The dinette seating area is heavier on the deluxe though[being larger and constructed of more substantial materials than in other areas.
My 13 deluxe has every option offered by Scamp except the second propane tank,plus side cabinets, front bath/shower, microwave, box bumper, bike rack,27battery,air cond, fantastik fan w/cover, custom wraparound couch design and more. Without the bicycles, it weighed 1950# with a full propane tank, 5gallons of water, grocery,clothing,safety items and toiletries for a week on the road.
Of course the 16 has more room to "build-in" more weight and increase the difference.

BTW; the deluxe is screwed together, rather than riveted, due to the nature of the materials. We have not lost a single structural screw in seven years and 50,000 miles of towing ours.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:06 PM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
"the deluxe is screwed together, rather than riveted"

do the DLX wood cabinets hang from to sidewall with Rivets in the same manner at the standard fiberglass cabinets? Or are they (DLX wood) mounted like an escape. With a piece of wood fiberglassed to the interior shell. Thanks in advance.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:25 PM   #8

Floyd, so does that mean there are NO rivets at all to deal with in a Deluxe? Did you also get the larger bed? The larger bed would be heaven but I dont know if I could sacrifice the closet space and countertop space. Scamp really needs to add more info about their Deluxes models on their website and in the brochure. It says nothing about the construction.

Melissa
Old 02-18-2011, 03:06 PM   #9

Trailer: LittleGuy Classic Teardrop ('Baby Osmo') (Previously 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe)
Quote:
Floyd, so does that mean there are NO rivets at all to deal with in a Deluxe? Did you also get the larger bed? The larger bed would be heaven but I dont know if I could sacrifice the closet space and countertop space. Scamp really needs to add more info about their Deluxes models on their website and in the brochure. It says nothing about the construction.

Melissa
No rivets, but there are screws. So, you don't avoid the penetrations, nor the need to occasionally caulk and replace the caps.
Mr. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 05:40 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Unless Scamp makes their cabinets out of 1/4 inch (or thinner) plywood, I don't see how they couldn't weigh significantly more than the molded fiberglass ones.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:30 PM   #11

Registry
The cabinets are screwed through the shell. The deluxe still uses a few rivets for such things as curtain rod hangers.
The caps are cosmetic and serve no function as seals, and no silicone is used to secure them, early Scamps have exposed rivets. There may be some used on the rivet bases and the screw threads however.
I have owned many old Fiberglass trailers and have only seen one or two leaks around rivets , and they were severely wallowed out. Scamps are no more prone to leaks than any other fiberglass trailer in my opinion.
I have replaced the caps once due to UV damage and expect to do so on a regular basis as part of maintenance. Neither I nor Scamp used any silicone to secure or seal them.
We have the front closet next to the front bath, which offers more closet space than that available in the standard side closet plus considerably more hanging space. After the choice of the wider bed, the remaining side closet is more than adequate for our needs for folded clothing as well a one shelf dedicated to electronics and electrical. Our wraparound couch design allows for several square feet more of storage space as well.

The floors of the upper cupboards appear to be something like 3/8" plywood, the fronts are solid one-by oak. the doors are framed 1/4' oak plywood. The cabinetfronts are 3/8 plywood as well. All tolled, the difference is insignificant due to the overall amount of material used, and the overall weight of the trailer and accessories.
While the fiberglass weighs about 2/3s as much as 1/2" plywood, the 1/2"plywood weighs only 2/3s as much as the 1/2" MDF.
At 32SF each for comparison,we are looking at 20,40, and 60# respectively [a swag]...the doors, hatches wood reenforcements and shelves are a major part of the areas inside and out of the cabinets and cupboards.
Since I am unwilling to disassemble the finest travel trailer value in existence just to establish a known point, I will just remind RayN that I did not say that the wood was not heavier than fiberglass, I said that the effect on overall trailer weight is not significant due to the above explanation.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:32 AM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Casitas have the same problem. Fiberglass cabinetry and phony doors. There's a number of Casita members on the CasitaForum that have replaced all the doors with framed wood doors. Looks VERY nice. I think the weight difference can be marginal though depending on the wood used for replacement. I've also seen the phony doors replaced with smoked plexiglass (ala Oliver) and even diamond plate. For those that don't like the phony wood look, some have painted them. Then the doors turn into a method of decorating.

Here's a link to just one, Rob's & Linda's 2010 17' Casita. Rob started the change out within days of picking up their brand-new Casita:
http://www.casitaforum.com/invboard/...ndpost&p=44401. Sorry you have to be a member of CasitaForum to view the topic.

I think the bottom line, is are you going for a specific "look," save weight or....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:54 PM   #13

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13'
Oregon
Registry
We went to a local cabinet shop and looked at doors made of red alder, and those are very light. I can't offer a comparison between alder and anything else however. We had alder cabinets in a home we built and after 15 years and bringing up 2 kids they still looked and worked just fine.
Mike L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 03:50 AM   #14

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
wayne at scamp seems real interested in selling you what you want. bet he can deal with any cabinet door you want to put in there.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:25 AM   #15
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Our Trillium came with very nice maple doors. Unfortunately they are quite heavy. We have already had one come loose due to hinge failure. Also the door catches were inadequate for the weight. I am thinking of replacing the doors with pine and/or perhaps adding wood behind the fiberglass to better support the hinge. So far the fiberglass seems to take it, but the heavy doors do make it flex. MDF or particle board would most likely be the same. Does Scamp or Casita reenforce the fiberglass at the hinges? Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:51 AM   #16

Name: Harvey
Trailer: '84 Scamp 13' & 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Our Trillium came with very nice maple doors. Unfortunately they are quite heavy. We have already had one come loose due to hinge failure. Also the door catches were inadequate for the weight. I am thinking of replacing the doors with pine and/or perhaps adding wood behind the fiberglass to better support the hinge. So far the fiberglass seems to take it, but the heavy doors do make it flex. MDF or particle board would most likely be the same. Does Scamp or Casita reenforce the fiberglass at the hinges? Raz
Dunno 'bout current models but in my '84 Scamp 13 it appears that all the cabinet/closet door openings are reinforced on the hinge side with what appears to be approx 1/4" solid or 'lumber core' plywood... I've removed all the doors for replacement after I complete the inside 'renovation'.
Attached Thumbnails
Copy of IMG_3704.JPG  
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp