oregon, Hells canyon overlook - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-07-2020, 08:55 PM   #1

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
oregon, Hells canyon overlook

WHo has been to the Hell's Canyon overlook in eastern Oregon? I ran the "Tail of the Dragon" in the south east US last year without problems, but the Hell's canyon area looks interesting. (16' Scamp with F150)
Attached Thumbnails
HELLS CANYON MAP.jpg  

AC0GV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 09:29 AM   #2

Name: William
Trailer: 13' Perris Pacer
California
If you visit Oregon, don't miss the Columbia Gorge (I-84), the Oregon Coast (Hwy 101), and Crater Lake National Park.

mchalewj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 10:34 AM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2018 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Oregon
The Hell's canyon overlook is nice and easy to get to. Don't plan on doing the Hat Point view point unless you are without a trailer and have 2 hours to go very slow. If you do the overlook go ahead and do the loop road around the wilderness. The Wallowa mountains and the Joseph and Enterprise area are the most beautiful part of Oregon. If you go up there plan on spending a few days and see Wallowa Lake and get to know the area. If you have any questions I'm happy to answer them.
slonecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 09:44 PM   #4

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
WHo has been to the Hell's Canyon overlook in eastern Oregon? I ran the "Tail of the Dragon" in the south east US last year without problems, but the Hell's canyon area looks interesting. (16' Scamp with F150)
The loop road from Baker to the overlook is very interesting with old towns and pretty scenery. We did it summer of 2019 in our motorhome. There's some real nice forest service campgrounds on the road past the overlook going north. We stayed in the Imnaha Campground along the river and there were only 2-3 others in it. Have correct change as there wasn't an attendant. It was only about $8 and only $4 for seniors with the Natl Park Pass. You have to go to Wallowa Lake and do the tram to the top of Mount Howard. Take a jacket as it gets chilly up there. There's a tram and then a ski lift up higher. We spent the day up there. The hamburgers at the top were delicious. There's also an Indian historical stop on the road near the lake. In Elgin, OR there's a beautiful train ride along 2 rivers and a nice campground where we did laundry for practically nothing. The area is really a destination for a nice trip.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 08:06 AM   #5

Name: Elizabeth
Trailer: TrailsWest
Washington
I'm going to have to add this to my list of places to see.

Just so you know, the route you've highlighted has four substantial grades between Pullman, WA and Enterprise, OR. First you go down to Lewiston/Clarkston on the Snake River (not bad). Then you go up the other side (lots of 20 mph curves). Then you go down to the Grande Ronde (a long grade with lots of 25 mph curves). Then back up to get to Enterprise (I haven't actually been on that one).

Also no gas between Clarkston area and Enterprise but the restaurant on the Grand Ronde has good ice cream.

I camped for a couple nights at Field Springs State Park (in the one patch of forest between Clarkston and Enterprise). The campground was small but reasonably nice with no hookups. The site I had reserved was a bit overgrown with brush but there were a couple nice sites. The hike to the top of Puffer Butte was worth doing for the view.
Old 08-09-2020, 09:48 AM   #6

Wisconsin
Registry
Hells Canyon trip

Yes, the map I posted has problems, I have started to trust Google about as much as I trust my GPS navigation system. I think that route is mostly forest roads/ fire trails.
If I do this trip, one goal will be to have as little human contact as possible. I will not be going on group events. Now that my home state is a covid red state, I may get checked at the state line of some state anyway.
I spend a lot of time taking pictures of nature and scenery when I travel and at the end of the year make a personal calendar That I call “Scamping America”. This year I will take a drone along. It is always a challenge to pick 14 pictures for the calendar when I get back.
The picture posted below is the cover from my 2018 calendar. It is from the Chamberlin SD rest area with the “DIGNITY” sculpture. Most of the pictures chosen show the Scamp (kind of a “Where’s Waldo” shot), but snakes get my attention also.
Thanks for the replies, I will keep checking for more until I hit the road. I have no date set, I will just get in and go someday when the mood hits to do the Willie Nelson thing, the “On the Road Again” thing, not the other one.
Attached Thumbnails
00COVER.jpg  
Old 08-09-2020, 05:26 PM   #7

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Scamp 19
Washington
I agree with everything Elizabeth posted. rattlesnake grade to the Grande Ronde is the most intimidating of the grades. It also has spectacular views. just start off slow and stay slow. At the bottom is Boggan's oasis. The ice cream is amazing but the milkshakes are worth every penny. Buford grade up the Oregon side is long but not as winding as the Washington side. I'd also recommend Terminal Gravity brewing for lunch in enterprise. Joseph could easily take up an afternoon browsing shops, restaurants and museums. Wallowa lake state park is very popular and it is in a very scenic spot. Oregon is now charging a premium to out of state visitors. Imnaha is worth a stop to see the post office and the general store.

I will suggest if you are coming west through Montana to avoid I90 (lookout pass and 4th of July pass) across Idaho. Some interesting history and scenery, but I prefer Lolo pass. From Missoula Mt catch highway 12 across Idaho to Lewiston Id. The scenery is well worth the trip as it follows the Lochsa river. It isn't much slower than I90. Travelers rest state park Mt is a great stop for Lewis/Clark history. There are several forest service campgrounds along the way. Wilderness gateway is my favorite. Lolo pass is very easy with neither side being steep. The visitors center at Lolo is also worth a stop if it is open. This route comes into Lewiston avoiding the first of the four grades Elizabeth mentioned. Follow the snake river to Asotin and on to Enterprise.

Either route will be a great trip.

Wayne
Wayne53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 01:01 AM   #8

Wisconsin
Registry
The HWY 12 change...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne53 View Post
. Some interesting history and scenery, but I prefer Lolo pass. From Missoula Mt catch highway 12 across Idaho to Lewiston Id. Wayne
The change would also let me do this...
Attached Thumbnails
Map 04.jpg  
Old 08-10-2020, 12:03 PM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchalewj View Post
If you visit Oregon, don't miss the Columbia Gorge (I-84), the Oregon Coast (Hwy 101), and Crater Lake National Park.
My favorites are the waterfalls along OR138 in the Umpqua Forest. Lots of them on short hikes off the highway. A couple favorites are Susan Creek Falls & White Horse Falls:
Attached Thumbnails
_DSC3642.jpg   _JRV8884.jpg  

Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote