OT.. dates for daylight savings time - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-23-2007, 08:01 PM   #1

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
dont know if your aware or got notice but new daylight savings time.. yippie more daylight for camping!!

NEW FEDERAL LAW - Daylight Savings Time 2007 - March 11, 2007 - November 4, 2007

New Federal Law Springing Forward on March 11, 2007 & Back on November 4, 2007
Daylight Savings Time 3 Weeks Earlier and 1 Week Later

Benjamin Franklin is credited with first proposing the idea of Daylight Saving Time in 1784. He hoped to save on candles. The United States didn't get around to even agreeing on what Standard Time was until 1883, when the railroa! ds clam ored for some uniformity. Daylight Saving Time as we now know it was signed into law in with the Uniform Time Act of 1966. Before that act, someone traveling a 35-mile stretch of Highway 2 in West Virginia and Ohio would have had to change a watch setting SEVEN times to remain current.

Spring Forward, Fall Back may be the only notion some of us can keep straight when it comes to the twice-annual ritual of changing the clocks. But now Congress has tinkered and it is a reality in 2007.

Thanks to pass! age of the Energy Policy Act of 2005, Daylight Saving Time will begin one month earlier this year and will continue for an extra week. It's part of a phased move designed to conserve electricity and save an estimated 300,000 barrels of oil a year.

* In 2007, Daylight Saving Time begins on March 11 and ends Nov. 4
* In 2008, Daylight Savings Time begins on March 9 and ends on Nov. 2
* In 2009, Daylight Savings Time begins on March 8 and ends on Nov. 1

DAYLIGHT SAVING TIME AND COMPUTER GLITCHES
Computers and other gadgets are usually programmed to change automatically. But this year, 2007 - you could run into some hiccups. Why? Daylight saving time starts three weeks earlier and ends a week later. Programs that adjust automatically for daylight saving time may need patches.

So start planning, especially if you own a business. Vista won't require a patch, although XP will. Microsoft plans to make the patch available in early March. For other programs and gadgets, check the manufacturers sites.
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 08:06 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
For those of us that go to work in the dark and then come home in the dark...this extra almost two months of daylight is NIRVANA! I don't care which end they add it too, but sure would like to see the sun more than just on the weekends!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 08:36 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Okay, am I the only one who gets that even the President of the United States of America can't change the rotation of the earth? The days are not any longer during DST, the clocks are just set wrong by an hour, and now we're running around changing all the rules in the software to change on a different day. If you need an extra hour of daylight between getting off work and sunset, you need to start and stop work an hour earlier. On a non-working day, you have the whole daylight period for whatever you want, whatever the clock says.

Yes, I know we all understand this, but there seems to be a strange enthusiasm for DST - and extentions of it - anyway.

By the way, the required patches for every bit of software I'm aware of (Windows, Java, Unix, Linux...) are all available now, and have been for some time. Early March would be way too late for managers of critical systems to start working with changes.

I'm guessing Mike has already applied the DST update for Invision PowerBoard, but even if not, I'm not going to worry about it.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 08:41 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
If you need an extra hour of daylight between getting off work and sunset, you need to start and stop work an hour earlier.
See if you can convince my boss of this would you please Brian. At anyrate, I'm gonna luv the extra daylight at the end of my day....and you're right, I wish they'd quit screwing with the clocks. I vote we just leave it on DST.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 08:50 PM   #5

Yes, it is unfortunate that lots of people don't have any choice in work hours. But then, many people work hours that are nothing like 9-to-5, and DST may do them no good at all, or make it worse.

I would vote for no DST at all. DST in winter means less daylight before work (if following the same clock hours of work all year), and getting up and driving while it's still night is no fun either. Extending DST too far into the school year at some latitudes means kids who would have gone to school and returned in daylight instead stand at the roadside waiting for a bus in the morning in the dark. Great plan.

I think you'll find less enthusiasm for DST at northern latitudes, where to really be effective it would need to be a larger change, at a different time, or change in couple of stages. The current system really is intended for Washington D.C., or the main population centres of the U.S., depending on your level of cynicism.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:14 PM   #6

Name: Jack
Trailer: Scampless in Oregon
Oregon
..even the President of the United States of America can't change the rotation of the earth..

Do you think he even knows that the earth rotates?
jack smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 09:16 PM   #7

Trailer: Cadet 1985 / 2006 Element
Quote:
Okay, am I the only one who gets that even the President of the United States of America can't change the rotation of the earth?
Brian: It's even worse than that...Congress thinks it can do the miraculous!
DonInChatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 09:24 PM   #8

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry

no politicin'

and Bah Humbug Brian...LOTS of us love that extra hour. I for one can have a life because I can do my yard and stuff during the week.. and CAMP on the weekends!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 09:48 PM   #9

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Exclamation

Quote:
...depending on your level of cynicism.
I remember a comedy routing by a guy named Sam Levinson. He talked about his mother in New York.
Quote:
"Oh, yes, this Daylight Savings Time. What are they saving? It's like taking a blanket, and in the Summer you cut a foot off of one end, and sew it onto the other end, to make it longer. Then, in the winter, you cut that foot off of the end you sewed it to, and put it back where you started, to make it shorter. Smart. Very Smart."
Old 02-24-2007, 08:19 AM   #10

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
personally i wish it would just stay one time or the other.... usually falling back really puts me in a swirl.... i dont need that extra hr of sleep and the old winter days just drag on and on and on........ who decided this time change anyways?
Arizona leaves theres alone and they seem to do just fine!!
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 03:10 PM   #11

Trailer: Boler 1984
Quote:
For those of us that go to work in the dark and then come home in the dark...this extra almost two months of daylight is NIRVANA! I don't care which end they add it too, but sure would like to see the sun more than just on the weekends!
Being kept in the dark and up to here in crap = mushroom
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 04:25 PM   #12

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I really don't care.I go to work in dark--I am in dark all shift--I go home in dark.See,working in a underground mine has its advantages.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:43 PM   #13

Jack and Don...

Gina... sorry about the political reference - I'll stop that now.

Frederick: ... and exactly my view, but better said.

Christi: I forgot to say thanks for the reminder. Regardless of our views of the change, we do need to tweak our computers and change some clocks on the right day. By the way, Saskatchewan also declines to observe DST.