Other 5th wheel makers?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2011, 01:15 PM   #1

Name: Becky
Trailer: In the Market for Scamp 19'
Montana
Other 5th wheel makers??

Hi everyone. I pretty new to this forum and have just a few questions. I have fallen in love with the Scamp 19' 5th wheel and know of the Escape 5th wheel. Are there any other 5th wheel trailers made for small vehicles, and, if yes, who makes them?
beckymac68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 01:19 PM   #2

Montana
More egg 5th wheels?

Hi everyone. I am pretty new to this forum, and I have fallen in love with the Scamp 19' 5th wheel. Are there any other Egg style 5th wheels made for small vehicles? I know of the older Bigfoot and Escape 5th wheels, but it looks like to me that the Scamp is of better quality?
Old 08-13-2011, 02:10 PM   #3

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckymac68 View Post
Hi everyone. I am pretty new to this forum,

Welcome!

Are there any other Egg style 5th wheels made for small vehicles?

Nope, but I might add as well that even egg style 5er's are not made for "small vehicles" (no matter what anyone tells you!)

I know of the older Bigfoot and Escape 5th wheels, but it looks like to me that the Scamp is of better quality?

Better than Bigfoot and Escape? Ummmmmm, Not in my opinion, Your trying to compare 3 different products that are not made for the same consumer. Just because they are all 5th wheels doesn't mean they are the same.

Bigfoot higher quality (my experience) Escape higher quality (from what I have read).

It's not to say Scamp is not good, they are fine. It's about the type of quality you want.

You say you have fallen in Love with the Scamp, I say go for it! If that is what you love than it will be perfect for you. Enjoy!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 02:33 PM   #4

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
There are several others small non fg but these 2 are the only current fiberglass 5th wheels being manufactured.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 02:57 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Not molded fiberglass but articfox makes the nice 22g and 22h. You can get insulated tanks and dual pane windows for cold weather.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 04:28 PM   #6

Name: Nick
Trailer: OutdoorsRV
Texas
There are some nice 5'er used for sale. Maybe one of the members here who knows of them will pass that info along to you. I just found out that my truck rails are probably to high. Of course I've taken myself out of the market until I return from my mission trip next year anyway.
Rvicsvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 04:43 PM   #7

Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin G View Post
You say you have fallen in Love with the Scamp, I say go for it! If that is what you love than it will be perfect for you. Enjoy!
I guess I should go into a little more detail as far as what I am looking for...

I am hoping to be working on the road and need something that I can live year round in and tow with my 2004 Tacoma. I guess most of the pics of the Scamp I've seen had quite a few Tacomas hooked up to them. Also, I live in Montana where the winters can get well below zero without the wind and am concerned about keeping things from freezing. Scamp is rated to R15.

The Bigfoots I looked at were a little bit heavier and still very nice looking, but I haven't seen any newer 5ths. Don't know about insulation factors.

The Escape is just too far out of my price range, and it looked to almost identical to the Scamp in floor plan.

Thank-you very much for the information and, please, if you have any more share it with me.
Old 08-13-2011, 05:16 PM   #8

Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikljones View Post
There are some nice 5'er used for sale. Maybe one of the members here who knows of them will pass that info along to you. I just found out that my truck rails are probably to high. Of course I've taken myself out of the market until I return from my mission trip next year anyway.
Thank you for the information!
Old 08-13-2011, 05:47 PM   #9

Pennsylvania
Registry
Here is a nice used Scamp 5'ever
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...5th-47771.html
Old 08-13-2011, 05:57 PM   #10

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi beckymac68... Everyone knows I'm biased towards the Escape 5.0. Here's a pic of "Our Escape Hatch" in the middle of a row of Scamp 19' fivers in Ind. There's going to be a new Escape in Missoula Montana that you could check out for quality of build at least...if you're in that Helena.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
OurEscapeHatch.jpg  
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 06:29 PM   #11

Trailer: Casita
Hi Becky,
I am biased a bunch because we just got our Escape fifth wheel and we love it. But consider this. I don't know that any of these trailers is Montana winter-proof. In the Escape, two of the tanks are outside underneath. I understand you can order an Escape with insulated tanks but I don't know how much protection that gives. The Scamp in built in Minnesota but AFAIK it's not claimed to be four-season. I think Bigfoot built a four-season trailer but I know little about it.

Whatever you decide on, you will love it!

Marv
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 06:35 PM   #12

Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv View Post
Hi Becky,
I am biased a bunch because we just got our Escape fifth wheel and we love it. But consider this. I don't know that any of these trailers is Montana winter-proof. In the Escape, two of the tanks are outside underneath. I understand you can order an Escape with insulated tanks but I don't know how much protection that gives. The Scamp in built in Minnesota but AFAIK it's not claimed to be four-season. I think Bigfoot built a four-season trailer but I know little about it.

Whatever you decide on, you will love it!

Marv
Yeah, that's what is kind of scaring me. I've read countless stories of freezing tanks, hoses, etc.

Thanks for the info, and maybe we will check the Escape out when it gets to Missoula.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:36 PM   #13

Pennsylvania
Registry
Escape will spray the tanks and install 12v heaters on them. As long as you have electric and use the furnace with the 12v tank heaters it would seem you will be ok, not sure how you will get fresh water replenishment in the winter, but once you get water in the trailer you will be fine. For the travel trailers it is a $700 option.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:02 AM   #14

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I love my Scamp (love the one you're with) but know it's shortcomings. The two biggest problems I see in freezing weather, are the single pane windows (CONDENSATION!!!) and there's NO insulation on the floor. The only thing that separates your feet from the cold is the wood floor and whatever floor covering you have. Coinsidentally, the two biggest draws of cold air INTO the trailer are the windows and the floor. I've owned my trailer for nearly 11 years. There's no way, I'd camp more than a couple of days in freezing weather in a Scamp. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:27 AM   #15

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Thermopane windows

Some thoughts on the Contest and Cold Camping.

My experience with thermopane windows in RVs is that the window seals fail, probably due to all the bouncing, and the windows cloud up. A number of ours failed after 75,000 miles. As well usually not all windows are thermopane. (I will say I've only had one rig with them and possibly this has been corrected.)

As to freezing temps, we have camped in ours for five days with no ill effects with coldest nightime temps in the teens F. It is not too difficult if you are at a full hookup site. We have never had the inside temperature drop below the mid to high 30's F, the temperature just before we wake up.

The only really vulnerable component on our rig is the gray tank because it's virtually outside. Keeping it and the black tank empty seems to resolve the issue, we just dump them before evening.

As well we put water in our fresh water tank and use it during the night. If it's below freezing we generally keep the outside water hose off. This saves the hose and keeps the internal water pipes unpressurized, providing expansion margin should they freeze. (In one long term cold weather situation we did put electrical tape and insulation on our hose to keep hooked up and the hose from freezing.)

The hot water tank is relatively safe because it's always hot in our rig since we always electrify our hot water tanks.

For sleeping we use an electric blanket. Occasionally if the temp seems to be dropping rapidly in the trailer I will turn on the electric heater as morning approaches.

We have not camped at temperatures below the teens F.

In the morning, simply making breakfast rapidly warms the trailer.

Norm
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:32 AM   #16

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin G View Post

Ok, now that I see your thinking of spending winter's in Montana in it. I will change my suggestion. Despite "you" loving Scamp I would say, and since I have lived in Montana I would add that Scamp isn't the product you will need to survive a Montana winter.

And I might add that camping for a few days/weeks in cold weather is Not and I repeat NOT living in Montana winter weather! It's a constant struggle. Day in and Day out of freezing conditions. Below zero weather for weeks on end, below freezing for months and months. People who live in homes in Montana struggle with the weather.....

Can you live in your RV? most likely! Some do! But it will be a constant effort on your part to do so, so that you maintain a comfortable living environment.

Personally I think Bigfoot or an Escape would be your better option. Mostly because they have options that will aide in living in such conditions.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:12 AM   #17

Trailer: Bigfoot 21.5 ft (25B21RB)
Robin is absolutely right that there is a big difference between camping and full-timing in an RV during winters in the north. Unless you get a serious 4-season trailer like Bigfoot or Arctic Fox you will risk freeze-up problems. I have seen people in non-4 season rigs that are full-timing in one location put insulated skirting around the bottom of the trailer and heat the space underneath with gas or electric space heaters. This is impractical if you are moving from site-to-site, and also will consume huge amounts of energy.

The Bigfoot 5th wheels went out of production many years ago and good used ones are hard to find. Not only that but a Tacoma is very likely too small for that trailer. A Bigfoot 17.5 (not a 5th-wheel) may be light enough for your towing capacity. They are more spacious than a Scamp because of extra width, so may work for you. The Bigfoot four-season system consists of thermopane windows, well-insulated walls and floor, tanks and plumbing are enclosed and heated by the furnace through a duct system. I have stayed in my Bigfoot at temps below zero without freezing anything. That being said, you have to keep the furnace on even when you are absent to make it all work. Before switching to Bigfoot, I owned a Scamp and then a Casita. I was living in Alaska at the time. I loved them both, but went with Bigfoot for the cold-weather features as well as the extra space.
David and Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:39 AM   #18

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
The "newest" Bigfoot 5th you are going to find is a 1994. It would not have the "winter package" because they didn't make one back then. I would go with an Escape.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:20 PM   #19

Name: Andy
Trailer: 1979 Ventura 13'
Alberta
I've lived in a travel trailer in northern Alberta for a winter and the best thing you can do is find a place that will be your spot for the whole winter as this will allow you to prep it for the winter. The park I lived in shut off the water to the sites but the shower house remained open. My trailer was skirted in with plywood and hard foam insulation, the trailer windows all but one were covered with an insulation that looks like bubble wrap with a foil back that was tuck tapped in place. I also buil a kind of front porch from plywood with a door that kept all the heat from escaping from the trailer when coming or going. Also if your heating with propane get the big 500lb tanks with a heat blanket as propane won't flow much below -32 C. You should be able to rent the tanks from your propane suplier. The 500s have a guage on them and won't need to be filled as often. My trailer also had a wood fired box stove and there were several -40 days I had the doors open cause the wood stove was just too much for that 18' trailer.
AndyGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:25 PM   #20

Name: Andy
Trailer: 1979 Ventura 13'
Alberta
Also too there were several mornings that I had to melt ice to make a coffee because the furnace ran out of propane and woke up to a trailer with no heat. Get a good cold weathe sleeping bag.
AndyGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggcamper