ottawa winter camping - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-03-2011, 09:24 PM   #1

Trailer: Trillium 4500
ottawa winter camping

I'm interested in ottawa camping mid to late Jan. Would like to skate the Rideau Canal. I've googled free, dispersed, boondocking ottawa and have had little luck. Only useful info so far is Camping on Crown Land Camping on Crown Land. The ottawa municipal campground is closed for season. I'll call the MNR to see if they can direct me to crown land camping appropriate for Jan.

I'm asking for advice how to search for a site as what i'm doing is providing little result.

I'm looking for an alternative to Bed and Breakfast, also would like to try the Trillium in the winter. Thank You.
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:04 PM   #2

Trailer: Boler 1300 1977 (#2033 L EGGO)
Rideau Heights Campsite

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick c View Post
I'm interested in ottawa camping mid to late Jan. Would like to skate the Rideau Canal. .

Hello Nick C,

Rideau Heights Campsite is a typical "city fringe" facility -- mostly long-term residents but with a fair number of daily rental sites. It is closed for the winter, no services like washroom and showers, but electricity is available and if you are self-contained, Raoul Deschamps, the Manager, whom I called, could probably fit you in.

It is an adequate, quiet location, convenient to downtown and the Rideau Canal, just off of old Highway 16, with service stations nearby and full strip malls not much further away.

BUT, to quote my 7-year-old granddaughter, after our New Year's thaw "winter is ruined". The Canal has not yet opened for skating. We will probably have enough time to repair winter though before your planned arrival. Keep an eye on the weather and the National Capital Commission (NCC) website for opening dates.

You are in for a treat! After a long-distance skate here, you'll never again be content to just skate around on an ordinary rink.

I'm PM ing to you Raoul's phone # and e-mail. If interested, contact him to work out the details.

Des
Des Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:47 PM   #3

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Thanks for the help... I saw canal was not open, weather network forcast looked encouraging. did'nt realize your winter was melting. I may have to wait for bal de neige. Will follow up with Raoul, thanks again.
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:22 PM   #4

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
wow! there is NOTHING like a skate on the rideau! sure hope it works out for you, nick.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:57 AM   #5

Trailer: 1975 Boler 1300
Ottawa Camping

As of January 13, Canal now open for 7 km. (4 miles). BUT if there's another thaw, that may change. Check the following website daily, for current ice conditions:
http://www.canadascapital.gc.ca/bins...9-10080&lang=1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des Nolan View Post
Hello Nick C,

Rideau Heights Campsite is a typical "city fringe" facility -- mostly long-term residents but with a fair number of daily rental sites. It is closed for the winter, no services like washroom and showers, but electricity is available and if you are self-contained, Raoul Deschamps, the Manager, whom I called, could probably fit you in.

It is an adequate, quiet location, convenient to downtown and the Rideau Canal, just off of old Highway 16, with service stations nearby and full strip malls not much further away.

BUT, to quote my 7-year-old granddaughter, after our New Year's thaw "winter is ruined". The Canal has not yet opened for skating. We will probably have enough time to repair winter though before your planned arrival. Keep an eye on the weather and the National Capital Commission (NCC) website for opening dates.

You are in for a treat! After a long-distance skate here, you'll never again be content to just skate around on an ordinary rink.

I'm PM ing to you Raoul's phone # and e-mail. If interested, contact him to work out the details.

Des
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter camping