Our 1st Year Not Having Scamp Stored Inside - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-06-2019, 07:15 PM   #1

Trailer: 1993 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Our 1st Year Not Having Scamp Stored Inside

This winter we are storing our 13 scamp outside at my brother's cabin.

If you were doing this how would you prepare it? We are in Minnesota so we could get some heavy snow.

Should I worry about the weight of snow on the roof? Would it be a good idea to cover it with a big tarp? How do you make mice stay away? Fabric sheets?

Thanks for any info.
barryra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 07:30 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
If fabric sheets deterred rodents, somebody would be branding and marketing them for that purpose. As noted in another post on the topic, fabric sheets also deter elephants.
Old 11-06-2019, 07:42 PM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
When I stored my Scamp outdoors in cold / winter weather

1) I braced the roof for snow load
2) Covered the trailer ( Roof & part way down sides )
3) Removed the tires and took the weight off the axle
4) Pulled the battery and stored it in a warm place
5) Removed all food / bedding
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 07:51 PM   #4

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
When we were on a trip two years ago, mice or some other rodent ate the wiring harness into on my side by side utility vehicle . The vehicle was parked under an open shed. I heard about dryer sheets keeping mice away. Now I put them around the engine and wiring of my vehicles and mowers if they are parked for more than a few days. So far no problems. They either work or the maybe the mice moved on...
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 08:19 PM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Always a debatable subject about what will repel mice and other rodents. I use a product called Fresh Cab which is advertised as a repellant. I also keep traps in the camper, conventional spring type and the sticky traps. Never any mice, but maybe the trailers were just mouse proof.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 08:34 PM   #6

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
I use damp rid with fragrance to control humidity and have never had a mouse problem, but do not know if it is related, also have traps set but never got one. I use a truckers’ load lock to hold the roof up on bad roads and for snow load in the winter just in case the round top instant shelter fails.
If you cover it with a tarp, put a blanket on first to protect the gel coat and the tarp. Then put cheap load straps over the tarp to hold it in the wind. I had to put the cover on my Jayco three times the first year before I learned that.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 08:43 PM   #7

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Always a debatable subject about what will repel mice and other rodents. ...Never any mice, but maybe the trailers were just mouse proof.
My system has been 100% effective at keeping mice out for four years and counting. I remove the food when storing the camper. Thats all that I do. But then again my camper is sealed very well.. unlike some that have the original "mouse hole" power cord door, a loose fitting door etc.

As for snow load, yes that is a concern if it is a lot of heavy snow. Best bet is to store the camper under cover. But if that is not possible then if it were me, I would add some 2x4 supports inside the camper with load spreading timber on the ceiling. And sweep off the snow when its gets thick.

I would not use a tarp. If it fits loosely then it will abrade the finish in high winds. If it does not "breath" then moisture will be trapped and make things nasty. I might consider a breathable tight fitting cover but that might make it harder to remove the snow from the roof. Keeping the camper ventilated will help prevent moisture related issues.. or running a powered dehumidifier instead of ventilation is an option.

Steve made a few additional good suggestions.. maybe remove the battery but put it on trickle charge regardless. Taking some weight off the axle will prolong its life but is not critical. Anything fabric, and maybe wood, which can be removed should be stored in a climate controlled environment (i.e. your home).
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 10:22 AM   #8

Name: marty
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
My system has been 100% effective at keeping mice out for four years and counting. I remove the food when storing the camper. Thats all that I do. But then again my camper is sealed very well.. unlike some that have the original "mouse hole" power cord door, a loose fitting door etc.

As for snow load, yes that is a concern if it is a lot of heavy snow. Best bet is to store the camper under cover. But if that is not possible then if it were me, I would add some 2x4 supports inside the camper with load spreading timber on the ceiling. And sweep off the snow when its gets thick.

I would not use a tarp. If it fits loosely then it will abrade the finish in high winds. If it does not "breath" then moisture will be trapped and make things nasty. I might consider a breathable tight fitting cover but that might make it harder to remove the snow from the roof. Keeping the camper ventilated will help prevent moisture related issues.. or running a powered dehumidifier instead of ventilation is an option.

Steve made a few additional good suggestions.. maybe remove the battery but put it on trickle charge regardless. Taking some weight off the axle will prolong its life but is not critical. Anything fabric, and maybe wood, which can be removed should be stored in a climate controlled environment (i.e. your home).
I use a 5 gallon bucket with antifreeze and a diving board. I had 15 mice in the spring.
kayaker51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 10:35 AM   #9

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
X marks the spot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker51 View Post
I use a 5 gallon bucket with antifreeze and a diving board. I had 15 mice in the spring.
Plastic Bucket with about 4 inches of water or antifreeze in the bottom
Tightly stretched meat wrapping paper in place of the lid.
Wooden ramp to the paper drumhead with handful of birdseed on the paper drumhead in the center. A few days go by
Note evidence of feeding and dwindling pile of seed.
Razor blade makes an X in the center
Backstroke ensues ,
Replace top, do not advertise it’s probably a federal offense.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 10:36 AM   #10

Name: Steven
Trailer: '79 Boler
on Ontario
Registry
If you pull the battery do not store it on a concrete floor. It'll kill a battery in time.
steve67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 10:39 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve67 View Post
If you pull the battery do not store it on a concrete floor. It'll kill a battery in time.
From Trojan Batteries FAQ:

1. What are some common myths associated with batteries?
  • Storing a battery on concrete will discharge it quicker- Long ago, when battery cases were made out of natural rubber, this was true. Now, however, battery cases are made of polypropylene or other modern materials that allow a battery to be stored anywhere. A battery’s rate of discharge is affected by its construction, its age, and the ambient temperature. The main issue with storing on concrete is that if the battery leaks, the concrete will be damaged.
Old 11-07-2019, 06:39 PM   #12

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
If fabric sheets deterred rodents, somebody would be branding and marketing them for that purpose. As noted in another post on the topic, fabric sheets also deter elephants.
If you don't have fabric sheets ... better brace the roof!

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 06:53 PM   #13

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 10:20 PM   #14

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryra View Post
...we could get some heavy snow.

Should I worry about the weight of snow on the roof? Would it be a good idea to cover it with a big tarp? ...

If you're worried about weight on the roof, I certainly would not add the extra weight of a tarp.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 11:48 PM   #15

Name: Kenneth
Wisconsin
Registry
OP is from Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Outlaw View Post
If you're worried about weight on the roof, I certainly would not add the extra weight of a tarp.
OP is in Minnesota where 4 feet of snow is common. Then spring rain comes and soaks into snow and caves in non-reinforced Scamps (and buildings).
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 11:53 AM   #16

Name: Corky
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16ft.
Illinois
Scamp and Casita both drill holes and then calk them ice and calk do not go good together. Inside storage is best. So is Az. or Fl. in the winter. How many years is the calk good for. Sure winter ice and cold is not good on it.
Courtland PieperCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 12:10 PM   #17

Name: Adam
New Hampshire
I helped my neighbor with shrink wrapping our respective pontoon boats for the first year. As I did this I couldn't help but think that shrink wrapping the Scamp might make good sense. Does anyone ever do this or have it done?

I think it might be fairly affordable. But I don't know how dangerous it would be to be using the heat gun to shrink plastic with the fiberglass right underneath.
AdamNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 12:15 PM   #18

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Outlaw View Post
We have a soft bristled push broom which we use to remove snow off the roof of our trailer . The weight of 3 feet of wet , heavy snow is a problem , the weight of a trailer cover is not .
We also clean the snow off our cabin , outhouse and shed roofs
I’ll take snow any day over intense sun ,heat and humidity
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 12:49 PM   #19

Name: Michael
Trailer: Former Scamp 13, Former Airstream 16
Connecticut
I stored my 13' Scamp for 16 seasons outside in the winter in Connecticut. I had a breathable custom cover for it. I used a soft bristle push broom to get the snow off after a big storm. The worst conditions were after an ice storm...but never had any damage.

My friend in coastal Maine spring wrapped his 25' Bigfoot last season and was pretty pleased with the results. If done properly, no worries about heat damage to the fiberglass....most boats that are shrink wrapped are fiberglass as well.
pedalmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 03:06 PM   #20

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I hear dryer sheets are good for repelling tigers too.

Harold
Doctor Harold is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp, vin