Our 2015 recently purchased new Oliver Legacy Elite trailer - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2015, 11:46 AM   #21

Name: John
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II 23' 6"
New York
Inside Pic's Of Our Modified Nissan Cargo Van Used To Tow Our Oliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cole View Post
Hi Pete: Thanks. The rig is a 2013 Nissan NV3500 HD cargo van that we purchased new in the spring of 2014. It's Nissan's heavy duty commercial cargo van; it came with no cargo area windows; all metal and empty inside. I had all the windows put in by a commercial window company along with running boards. Then later, a friend who is retired made us some custom cabinets that we mounted on the inside walls with two more mounted up front on the floor in front of the two twin beds. Also for the inside, I put in a partial floor and a captains chair; along with the added two twin beds; covered the walls with port hole windows to the outside (so my cats would just see enough activity to not make them nervous while travelling). I covered the ceiling. It's great when taking trips. When I get tired I can pull over and take a nap for a few hours and then proceed on to our destination. The van handled real well and the last trip we took to Tennessee to tow our trailer back home, we averaged about 12.5 mpg. I didn't think that was too bad considering the van has a big Titan V8. With all my add on's the curb weight is now about 7300 pounds(recently weighed) with a full tank of gas(28 gallons) & me as the driver. You are correct...the van is only a few inches shorter than the rear of the trailer which has the air conditioner. It pulls straight; you wouldn't know it was behind you..... John & Gwen Cole
Here are some pictures showing the inside of our modified Nissan cargo van after I made the modifications.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01650.JPG   DSC016532.JPG  

DSC01654.JPG   DSC01655.JPG  

John Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 12:20 PM   #22

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Awesome!!! What is on the ceiling???
Old 05-27-2015, 12:43 PM   #23

Name: Shelly
Trailer: Casita LD 17'
North Carolina
Sweet set-up. I am now inspired.
Gourdamental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 01:11 PM   #24

New York
Hi .... I was not sure as to what to do with the ceiling. Every thing I read & all the videos of others who customized their vans started with the ceiling part first . Since I was not sure & did not want to start something I could not finish, I left the ceiling part for last. In doing so ,I could not cut & stain the finished pieces of oak strips I had planned to line the ceiling with because it ran late into the fall making it to cold to work outside. I was able to attach the horizontal wood furring strips because they would not have to be stained & that is what I planned on screwing the finished ceiling material to. Having said this, I ended up buying $30 worth of different colored blankets at Walmarts , cutting them up in 12" width's & just pulling them over /thru the ceiling furring strips just to cover up the ugly metal ceiling til spring . When spring came I just never took them down because when people saw the ceiling, everyone said say liked what I had done. I will eventually finish the ceiling with the oak strips sometime this summer.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:07 PM   #25

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
I happened to be at the Oliver factory in Hohenwald the day John and Gwen took delivery of their new Oliver Elite II and was able to view their very cool Modified Nissan Cargo Van. John has done a remarkable job on the inside to make it into a comfortable traveling coach not only for he and his wife but also for their two cats Monkey and Midnight. He explained to me that cats can become nervous if they get too much stimulation from their environment. Notice in the pictures of the van’s interior there are portholes over the windows to limit the cat’s exposure to the world going by outside. John put a tremendous amount of forethought into his custom interior and did a fantastic job. I know they have many happy times ahead of them.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 11:39 PM   #26

Name: Debbie
Trailer: 2017 Oliver Elite II
AK
Hi John, I am going to be picking my 2017 Oliver Elite II in about 5 weeks. I still don't have a tow vehicle yet. I am trying to decide between a Nissan NV High Roof and a Chevy Express Cargo Van. How have you like towing an Oliver with the Nissan NV? Any problems? I'm wondering if there is any advice you could offer. I'm really stuck between the two as both have positive though different things I like.
Debbie LaFleiche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 04:22 AM   #27

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
Looks great! Would love to see it up close. Please consider joining us at the Spring Fling Rally in New England next May 17 - 20 in Chocorua New Hampshire.
We had a few other Olivers last year and would love to see yours.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 05:31 AM   #28

New York
Hi Debbie ... We are not currently towing a RV at this time. We sold the Oliver to buy a New Airstream, a big mistake but that's what my wife thought she wanted. Then we sold the Airstream . A long story short ... having to take two cats & trying to please my wife which had high expectations in regards to the living space and the size limit I was comfortable in towing caused to many problems. Your question regarding towing ..... the Nissan towed both trailers easily. Did not need sway control equipment and the van being as high/wide as it is, protected both trailers from any flying rocks/road crap. Before we purchased the van I looked at all the others and in my opinion the Nissan was the best built & now the 2017/2018 have the best warranty. The initial cost might be more than the Chevy but resale down the road will be higher and in our case sold ours on Ebay quickly with the buyer flying across the country to take possession and driving the four day trip home. I liked the Nissan so well I just purchased a 2017 Nissan 3500HD NV SV Passenger Van to use on long trips. Instead of the RV we now stay in resort hotels/condos . I highly recommend either the High Top or Regular Nissan 3500 HD vans. If it was just me(single) I would purchase another Oliver in a heart beat over any other trailer now being made. Good luck, stay safe.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:59 AM   #29

Name: Todd
Trailer: 2018 ParkLiner /2015 casita spirit deluxe
Georgia
we have 2014 nv2014 p we tow our 2015 casita deluxe

we have had ours for 3 yrs great vehicle i have to remind myself that we are towing the camper. i would highly recommend the v8 version and while the chevy van would tow fine the ride will be way more comfortable in the nv plus the price at 36k you cant beat when u consider the suburban at over 50k.
Toddv78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:08 AM   #30

New York
One other thing I would like to mention is the greater safety factor the Nissan will provide while towing. With its larger braking system combined with the dry weight being over 6,000 pounds you will have a much higher chance of keeping your van and trailer under control if the worst scenario should happen. Yes, you will pay more for a heavier/larger tow vehicle like the Nissan along with less gas mileage but some day it might well save your life ...... five years ago while driving a Ford-150 with Jet Ski in tow we slammed into a guard rail side ways going about 55 MPH. If it were not for the heft(weight) of the truck while only the two drivers side wheels were still on the pavement with Jet Ski/Trailer sliding along the top of the guard rail doing its best to take us over with it we would surely have flipped over into a large rocky deep creek bed. The Jet Ski /Trailer was ripped from ball hitch, ended up in the creek bed totaled. The truck finally fell back on all four wheels. Now because I went with my gut to purchase a heavy truck and not give in to my wife's concern about the price tag and gas mileage we survived, walked away with minor bruises. Remember the Oliver is a 5,000 Plus LB trailer, keep that in mind when purchasing your tow vehicle. Not enough is said about the weight ratio between the two. Whether a boat or RV in tow, if your tow vehicle is to light and that worst scenario should happen you might not be as lucky as we were.

Tags
oliver