Our experience with the fires - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2015, 04:17 PM   #1
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Our experience with the fires

The plan was to tour the pacific northwest. We made it as far as Montana. We camped just west of Bozeman. Burning nostrills, scratchy throat, and a continual head ache were the only effects of the fire we had to endure. Lots of folks being forced from there homes. And then there's the folks fighting those fires, last I heard 13 dead. What can you say?

We are currently in Colter Bay campground in Grand Teton National Park. The picture is the Grand Tetons taken an hour ago. Even here the smoke is ever present though not as bad as Montana. According to the weather service this part of Wyoming could be next. Anyone headed here might want to reconsider. We'll start east tomorrow. Raz
Attached Thumbnails
1440278012577.jpg  
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 05:02 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Portland, Oregon is more than 100 miles from the nearest fire. This is what's hanging over the city. It's worse in East County where I live

Praying for lightning-free rain and the safety of all those fighting the fires.
Attached Thumbnails
Smoke.jpg  
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 05:14 PM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I will be in the middle of it on Tuesday night and will try to update what's happening in the Chelan Complex fire area on Wednesday. We have been volunteered for fire service training on Thursday.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 06:09 PM   #4

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Stay safe, Bob. Even here in Bellingham, the smoke is very obvious today due to the winds blowing west I guess. And for those who may not be aware, a big section of Highway 20, the North Cascades Highway, is closed so no way to travel west to east or east to west via that route. Many campgrounds in the area also closed.
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 06:40 PM   #5

We will. Judith said something about us being at the fire camp near the Jct of Rts. 20 & 97 on Thursday morning.. Her house in Chelan was saved by the fire crews and she wants to show her thanks by helping wherever we can.

Old 08-22-2015, 07:06 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'm watching the news right now. There's over 1,000,000 acres on fire in Washington and Oregon. OMG

ONE MILLION ACRES!

Be safe Bob!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 08:01 PM   #7

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Bob, stay safe out there.

It is unfortunate that it did not work out better for you, Raz. Here is a picture of the Grand Tetons almost exactly two years ago, on 9/12/2013, soaked in rain. We were heading to soggy Yellowstone then, after narrowly missing the big floods in Colorado. This is no consolation, but shows how different it can be from year to year.
Attached Thumbnails
PICT5869.jpg  
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 11:00 PM   #8

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
The smoke is just awful, and I don't blame you for turning around! It's sad though, because if the wind shifts, things will clear up. And the entire western region isn't smoky all the time. Yesterday our end of the valley was clogged with smoke and we couldn't see the surrounding mountains. Today it was clear.

But I'm reading that there are fires in the Six Rivers National Forest, the Shasta-Trinity National forest (and dozens elsewhere), and Hwy 36 to the coast is closed until further notice.

Several years ago when we were making the drive west (car camping) for the Humboldt Regatta, the smoke was so thick next to the Trinity River that we couldn't run the AC, or open the windows. It was a matter of driving through it, or going home, and with the prevailing winds the chances were that the smoke was as dense on the way back as it was on the way out.

There are 5 mountain passes between the Sacramento Valley and the coast, and I have to say that when we crossed the last one, the relief was palpable. It's a wonder my son and I could breathe. But worse, there are people living in those communities who are enduring this non-stop, even if they're not in the midst of a fire.

A look at the map makes me nervous about planning that trip for Labor Day. Pray for rain.

Here's the CA fire map -- notice the concentration in the northeast. That's where we wanted to be...
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/vi...U5XK-qJQ&hl=en
Old 08-23-2015, 06:37 AM   #9

I hope you meant the NorthWEST, not northeast. Few peeps want to be in the north east corner of CA. I spend a week in Alturas one day...LOL

Old 08-23-2015, 07:11 AM   #10

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Clearing Skies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post
The smoke is just awful, and I don't blame you for turning around! It's sad though, because if the wind shifts, things will clear up. And the entire western region isn't smoky all the time. Yesterday our end of the valley was clogged with smoke and we couldn't see the surrounding mountains. Today it was clear.

But I'm reading that there are fires in the Six Rivers National Forest, the Shasta-Trinity National forest (and dozens elsewhere), and Hwy 36 to the coast is closed until further notice.

Several years ago when we were making the drive west (car camping) for the Humboldt Regatta, the smoke was so thick next to the Trinity River that we couldn't run the AC, or open the windows. It was a matter of driving through it, or going home, and with the prevailing winds the chances were that the smoke was as dense on the way back as it was on the way out.

There are 5 mountain passes between the Sacramento Valley and the coast, and I have to say that when we crossed the last one, the relief was palpable. It's a wonder my son and I could breathe. But worse, there are people living in those communities who are enduring this non-stop, even if they're not in the midst of a fire.

A look at the map makes me nervous about planning that trip for Labor Day. Pray for rain.

Here's the CA fire map -- notice the concentration in the northeast. That's where we wanted to be...
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/vi...U5XK-qJQ&hl=en
We were planning to leave on a 2 month excursion to the West Coast tomorrow morning. Since my wife has COPD, the air quality in the Western states is a real concern. We checked the AQI yesterday for several of our intended destination. In one area the AQI was 17 in the AM (green/good) and 111 in the PM (highly unhealthy) . Which way the winds will blow and which way the smoke will travel is too dificult to predict so we may have to cancel our plans.
Looking out on the 15 day weather forecast , I see nothing that will help with the present conditions . Good Luck Bob --Be Safe
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 07:57 AM   #11

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
This is a particularly bad year for forest fires, exceeding 7,000,000 acres. Over the last decade the average has been just over 5,000,000 acres. This represents about 2 acres in 10,000. The years 2013, and 2014 had about 3,000,000 acres burn, less than half this year.

National Interagency Fire Center

For perspective, 3,000,000 acres is equivalent to one Connecticut

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 10:04 AM   #12

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Portland, Oregon is more than 100 miles from the nearest fire. This is what's hanging over the city. It's worse in East County where I live

Praying for lightning-free rain and the safety of all those fighting the fires.
Donna your pics are what it looked like in Vancouver BC but heavier coverage last month when we had 3 fires burning close to the city. My sun deck was covered in ash one morning it was so bad.

I have been on Vancouver Island for the past couple of weeks where a number of fires are burning and the Cowichan Valley was thick with smoke as well.

In BC as of Aug 21 we have had 1748 fires and have lost 294,833 Ha. (728,548 acres) of forest. Not a large number of Ha. based on previous bad fire seasons but the big difference this year is the number of fires that have been to close to towns/cities & major highways.

We have hundreds of fires burning in the province with 14 currently classed as "fires of note" - due to the threat to public safety. This does not count a couple of major fires burning in Northern Washington that now have a few cities/towns in southern BC on stand by due to the fires fast movement north.

The long spell of dry weather - since January has created not just an issue with fires here in BC but we are also running out of water. We have heavy water use restrictions. For example on most of Southern Vancouver Island one can not water or wash anything outside the home - they can not even water their garden using a hand water jug. Here in Vancouver also no lawn watering of any kind or watering the garden with hoses but we can still (at least for now) use a hand watering jug for the garden.

If someone has issues with breathing air of poor quality BC and Washington are good places to avoid right now.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 12:13 PM   #13

Name: DiAnn
Trailer: Bigfoot TT
AZ
Son-in-law is a firefighter & has been out on 21+ day stints all over CA(lives in Redding). Last we heard he was in Klamath heading north. Grueling & dangerous work conditions for these folks fighting the fires, with little rest. They usually get about 32 hrs. off, then head out again. Chelan & Okanogan Counties are not the place to be right now. Have family & friends alll over that area & they are ready to evacuate whenever they get the notice.
dibot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 01:15 PM   #14

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
I hope you meant the NorthWEST, not northeast. Few peeps want to be in the north east corner of CA. I spend a week in Alturas one day...LOL
Yes, no kidding. Where was my head!

We once rode our motorcycle to Lakeview, down through Alturas, and then south to Susanville. It was bleak. We also discovered we could zoom (temporarily) at around 100MPH without harassment.

But McCloud is pretty nice.
Old 08-23-2015, 01:51 PM   #15

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
The Okanagan fires in Washington are I suspect the ones to watch right now as they are a big threat to a number of towns on both sides of the border having already resulted in some town evacuations and homes lost. Approx. 5100 homes are currently threatened.

Washington State has called on the public to volunteer to help with fires. Something that has never happened in Washington state history before. Last time I recall having heard/seen that happen was in the 70's here in BC during one very bad wild fire season.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 03:56 PM   #16
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
We left Grand Teton this morning with the same haze on the mountains as in the picture. Paul, back home we have a picture taken a few years ago in June with lots of snow and a clear blue sky. Quite the contrast.

We travelled through Yellowstone and ended up in a NFS campground east of the Beartooth highway. Clear blue sky here but still a hint of smoke. Yellowstone was busy but nothing like our previous June visit. Not a lot of traffic and most of the campgrounds had sites open so they did not fill Saturday night.

While I'm sure we could have made it to the coast, these are not the conditions for travel in that direction and trying to go to the places we'd like to see could very well put us in the way, the last thing we would want to do. We're off to explore the Bighorn mountains.

Let's hope rain comes to the PNW soon. Despite mans best efforts that's really the solution to this nightmare. Stay safe, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 07:26 PM   #17

Name: Linda
Trailer: Boler 17 ft
Ontario
Please stay safe Bob.
Linda Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 09:27 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Stewart View Post
Please stay safe Bob.
Not to worry... Judith and I are signed up as support staff, to free up other top go to more demanding tasks. My best line will be "Can I supersize that coffee for you?" LOL

Old 08-23-2015, 10:13 PM   #19

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Not to worry... Judith and I are signed up as support staff, to free up other top go to more demanding tasks. My best line will be "Can I supersize that coffee for you?" LOL
Old 08-23-2015, 11:08 PM   #20

Name: Steve and Julie
Trailer: Camp Lite by Livin Lite
Indiana
I am humbled and very grateful for this forum especially tonight. My husband and I know a young couple who are driving to Seattle right now, headed west from Indiana and currently in Wisconsin. I sent them all of the road closures that are mentioned above and the link to the Fire Center. As I see on the "events" map inside that link, I am wondering if they can make it by heading to Seattle from the south part of the State? Regardless, they are now alerted to the smoke issues and potential shifts that may affect their travels. We are all praying for Ty and Erin! Thank you all, S & J
stevenjuliehorney is offline   Reply With Quote