Our new Parkliner - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-16-2013, 05:32 PM   #41

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8t View Post
We LOVE our new Parkliner!
Thanks for posting your experience. I have wanted a PL, but been reluctant to place my order until I was sure they had the tire and battery problems under control. After reading your post I decided to take a ride down and see them (about an hour drive). Talked with Cameron and told him I would probably place my order by the end of the month.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:14 PM   #42

Name: Rosemary
Trailer: In the market
Pennsylvania
Just adding my congrats on your new Parkliner. I had the pleasure of meeting Brian and Nancy at the Copake rally and I loved their Parkliner. It seems so spacious for a relatively small trailer. Wishing you many safe and enjoyable travels.

Follow along Down the Road with Me.
Seamstress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:44 PM   #43
k8t

Name: Katie
Trailer: ParkLiner 2013
California
Thanks Rosemary! We're obviously very excited and look forward to our next trip.
k8t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:28 AM   #44

Name: Gretchen
Trailer: Coachman Freedom Express
Tennessee
Glad to read your post Katie. We are also seriously thinking of a ParkLiner. I think we are going there tomorrow to look and put down a deposit. Any tips on what to ask for? The extension table ($85) does seem handy. Question about the bathroom. Have only seen some pictures, but is the sink above the toilet? It looks awkward. Did you find it easy to use or should it be on the other side? THanks.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:42 AM   #45

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Gretchen, ask them with the batteries and propane tanks up front on the tongue what the tongue weight will be. You want to keep that number in mind for your tow vehicle. My Rav4 has no problem with the overall weight of the ParkLiner loaded... but adding another 90lbs to the tongue weight would put me almost at my max with the weight distribution hitch.

The manuf all kinda lie about real weight...ParkLiner says its 210lbs, well thats dry (no propane in the single tank)and if you add a second 20lb propane tank that boosts it up around 50 more pounds(when the 2 propane tanks are full)...then the optima battery is around 44lbs each...Something to consider.

Now I spoke with Optima the other day. They have a D31m 75 amp hour battery that has the vent hole in it that you can add a tube and run it outside so the batteries would be able to stay in street side dinette. The batteries list for about $300 each...but you could request them when you order your ParkLiner and if he says no...then order it without batteries and add them yourself.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:54 AM   #46

Name: elli
Trailer: ordered parkliner
Wyoming
parkliner news

Thankfully-we apparently have gotten through the hiatus on communication with Parkliner. We still have a few questions left unanswered- the greatest being WHEN can we expect it to be done and ready for delivery? It's good to read some positives from happy campers. We also received the promised 2 year warranty in an email. I did recieve some of the dimensions I was looking for so I can have materials on hand(we live a good distance from town) We were told they are back-ordered through January as of yesterday if that info is of use to anyone.
Elli
elli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:55 AM   #47

Name: Gretchen
Trailer: Coachman Freedom Express
Tennessee
Thanks Derek for the reply. I drive a 2004 Chevy Colorado, I'll have to check the book. We were towing an 18 ft Fun Finder that weighed more, so we should be fine, we had two propane tanks and one battery. One tank should be fine for us as we just use it for the water heater. I am going to ask for no stove and no heater. I plan on using a radiant hot plate and just use a small elec heater a little at night. I can put the hot plate away and use the counter space when not cooking too. We are in a warm climate and don't camp when its really cold! I'll keep that in mind about the battery as well, so thank you!
Old 10-17-2013, 11:40 AM   #48
k8t

Name: Katie
Trailer: ParkLiner 2013
California
Any tips on what to ask for? The extension table ($85) does seem handy. Question about the bathroom. Have only seen some pictures, but is the sink above the toilet? It looks awkward. Did you find it easy to use or should it be on the other side?

We're very happy with the counter extension. We immediately started using it more than we thought so I would definitely recommend that!

I don't know about the sink in the bathroom. We didn't use any water on our trip home so we haven't used it yet. The whole bath is typical RV bath, small and snug, but this one is bigger than any other I've been in. (not that I've been in many). I'm sorry I can't give you any input there. It seems fine but I don't really know yet.

Have a nice visit!
k8t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:03 PM   #49

Name: Scott
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen View Post
Question about the bathroom. Have only seen some pictures, but is the sink above the toilet? It looks awkward. Did you find it easy to use or should it be on the other side? THanks.
The sink is recessed into the wall and has water and drain connections that are best suited for the RH bathroom wall as this backs up to the closet space. The toilet is small, so you are not leaning far to reach the sink. Since the sink is recessed in a "box", it helps to be standing back a bit from it so you can see what you are doing. I think you will be pleased with the location once you see it in person.
mrscottyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:11 PM   #50

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
They have a D31m 75 amp hour battery that has the vent hole in it that you can add a tube and run it outside so the batteries would be able to stay in street side dinette. The batteries list for about $300 each...but you could request them when you order your ParkLiner and if he says no...then order it without batteries and add them yourself.
Don't forget that something still needs to be done to manage the heat generated by the converter when charging at full load. I think the Group 31 batteries with the vent tube plus some active cooling in that compartment would be a very elegant solution. Throw in a thermal cutout (temperature controlled switch that disconnects the battery or stops the charger) in case something goes awry, and that would seal the deal for me.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:13 PM   #51

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscottyg View Post
...something still needs to be done to manage the heat generated by the converter when charging at full load...
Just as a simple & positive comment FWIW on our PL#35...

I ran a test per the Progressive Dynamic tech & also in conjunction with the Optima tech peeps on the PD4045 (the converter/charger in the PL) to see if i could purposely cause an overheating situation (monitored and controlled)... I could not.

Here is what i was instructed to do by the techies of both firms. Test was done before any of my mods to converter area (i added vents in the converter area after this test, cuz i could and they looked cool (pun) And i had previously vented the battery bay, . All this activity happened quickly in the last couple weeks of May 2013.) > link to mod w/images <.:

1) Take the Optima Blue Top batteries down to about 45 to 50% capacity
2) Plug in PD4045 to shore power and keep it plugged in during entire 2 hr test if no issues arise.
3) Monitor temp in converter box, if overheating is occurring built in automatic fan should turn on. (tech stated it should turn on within ~10-20m if overheating is occurring.)
--------after 2 hour mark:
4) Call tech support back with results, which were:
a) Fan did not turn on
b) temp in PD converter area was ~"Room temperature" when checked after 2 hr test.
c) Optima Blue top batteries were neutral in temp to touch after 2 hr test on a ~65 degree day during charging (~13.6v @ ~2ah average. Checked on Xantrex monitor ( > link to mod < ) ~15 minute intervals).

Note, our Optimas are now plugged in and maintained by an Optima 1200 charger ( > Link to my charging mod in PL#35 < ) i state this only as an FYI and as something i chose to do after further research. Our Optima batteries are never discharged below ~60%, and this is typically after ~5 to 7 days of use camping off grid. I believe it is EXTREMELY important for anyone with a battery bank to properly maintain them...and that includes not allowing them to drop below ~50% capacity and charging them appropriately, weather that is with your rig's built in charger/converter (a PD4045 in the case of PL) or a dedicated charger (as i have chosen).

Happy trails,
Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:08 PM   #52

Georgia
Thom,

What was the exact configuration of your setup when you ran your test?

You said this was before your mods, so none of the partitions or vents that you added were in the compartment, right?

You said the converter cooling fan never turned on during the test? I know ours has run during heavy charging.

Shore power cord door open or closed? Closed with cable pass thru open?

Battery/converter compartment lid Open? Closed? Closed with a set of gauge wires hanging out? In other words, was the lid closed and sitting reasonably tight on the compartment?

Were cushions in place?

Were you sleeping on top of it? With Blankets or sheets? The added weight of a person, or two, plus a dog or two, is likely to create a pretty tight seal between the lid and the bench.

What I am describing is the perfect storm. Another member posted a similar test with results similar to yours, but they had test leads running between the lid and the compartment. Even a hairline crack will allow enough heat to escape. The buoyancy force of air that is 90-120 degrees hotter than ambient is pretty significant. With a tight enough seal at the lid, this heat would be trapped.

What was the ambient temperature in the trailer during your test?
Old 10-18-2013, 07:35 PM   #53

Astoria Oregon
Registry
Lightbulb

Greetings,
Here are my comments on "Test" : )

Quote:
You said this was before your mods, so none of the partitions or vents that you added were in the compartment, right?
Correct. Totally stock from PL factory. Which in PL#35 case was two Optima BT 55AH batteries in rear area of a large box containing PD4045 in front area of same box with a ~7/8ths wall with air flow between batteries and converter areas. Box had stock ~1/2" x 2" rectangles in four areas on the bottom to allow egress of wires. From what i recall of the test i had yet to completely seal off the rear/front areas inside the large box.

Quote:
You said the converter cooling fan never turned on during the test? I know ours has run during heavy charging.
Correct. Tech said fan will usually go on during "Heavy charging" which he defined as a typical battery bank at ~12 volts (which was the reading on handheld VOM on battery posts and Xantrex.)

Quote:
Shore power cord door open or closed? Closed with cable pass thru open?
Closed with 30amp cord exiting out small pass thru.

Quote:
Battery/converter compartment lid Open? Closed? Closed with a set of gauge wires hanging out? In other words, was the lid closed and sitting reasonably tight on the compartment?
Closed & Tight with Xantrex monitor installed by way of stock openings on the bottom of box where other wires pass into interior of trailer. Xantex was doing real time monitoring of voltage & amp after initial open-top VOM reading before test. Also, please note that i had set up the xantrex in a temporary fashion and it was not fully installed...so the timeline of posts looks a bit off.

Quote:
Were cushions in place?
Yes. And i was sitting on top reading my kindle paperwhite : ) I was alone during testing. No other humans or animals were subjected to the boredom of checking a battery monitor for ~2 hours ; )

Quote:
What was the ambient temperature in the trailer during your test?
It was close to 65 degrees and clear skies...a typical _summer_ day on the Oregon Coast.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:25 PM   #54

Georgia
Thanks, Thom. Your test results are encouraging.

I still need to figure out what makes our setup run hotter, as the cooling fan on our PD unit always runs when it is charging. I know Mimi said their unit's fan was running on the night they had their battery issues.

I don't know what is different, except maybe their batteries were discharged much further than any of us would want to run ours down for testing.

I am not sure, but it seems your unique setup runs cooler than the standard configuration that most of the other '12 and '13 models contain.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:51 PM   #55

Astoria Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Thanks, Thom. Your test results are encouraging...

I don't know what is different, except maybe their batteries were discharged much further than any of us would want to run ours down for testing...
Thanks for the thanks

On the "discharged" comment. Both the PD & Optima techs said (as you may have guessed) that over discharging these AGM batteries is a major issue as far as safety goes. Anything below 40>45% is a danger zone in their opinion (and why they requested i do so and monitor during test). This % discharge is actually quite easy to create with these relatively small battery banks.

In our case two 55ah batteries = 110ah total in bank.
I will add that our PL#35 set up is unique from the factory in that it does not have any built in appliances. That said i can still draw down about 4ah a day while camping.

For the typical PL owner with a more standard setup of propane fridge, water & air heaters... daily draw would typically be more. Add to that the idea of any built in "monitors" such as CO/Smoke directly wired into system and the phantom drawdown adds up quickly. . . especially if one "winterizes" the rig and brings it out in "Spring". IMO, better to remove the batteries and put it on an appropriate maintainer during off months?
PL#35 sees a ~5 day adventure nearly every three to four weeks year round so it is well used/maintained.

Thom
Old 10-18-2013, 09:35 PM   #56

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Yup, running that furnace while boondocking does drain these small amphour batteries. When mine finally go I will replace them with regular lead acid batteries like I used on my boat. Got them for around $90 and were 105 amp hours and I got about 3 years out of them... 2 of them and Im good for a weekend of running the heater without starting the generator.

Now this is the model Chandler should have switched to D31m. 75 amp hour and has the hole for a vent tube...wouldnt need the box for them but they list around $300 each. Too rich for my blood lol.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parkliner