Outback/Trillium Trailers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2021, 06:55 PM   #1

Name: Patrick
Trailer: in the market
Oregon
Outback/Trillium Trailers

I'm thinking of purchasing a new 13' Outback/Trillium trailer from the Canadian manufacturer.

Is there anyone on this forum who has purchased a new 13' Outback/Trillium trailer from the Canadian manufacturer that would be able to share their experience? Either good or bad.

Thank you,
patman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 07:07 PM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Here:
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...ice-75547.html

And here:
OUTBACK Trillium Trailers Review

#1 repeated complaint is missed delivery dates, missed by a lot.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 10:53 AM   #3

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Slim Potatohead, who has a youtube channel worth watching, purchased a used Outback. He took it up into the Yukon to the boundary with NWT and then returned with a list of things to get changed or fixed at the Outback factory.

He shows their work, a bit, and was quite happy with their service on his used trailer.

You might look those up. The videos are all recent.
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 11:51 AM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
He also drained several GALLONS of water out of the bottom of the trailer. This is how you end up with floor rot.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 12:09 AM   #5

Name: Glenn
Trailer: Lost part of down payment to Trillium Outback
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by patman View Post
I'm thinking of purchasing a new 13' Outback/Trillium trailer from the Canadian manufacturer.
We tried really hard to buy one. Sent the deposit, picked all the options, let one date slip, then a second, punted until the following summer, but during the in-between time stopped getting any communication from Mr. Thoen. Phone calls ignored, emails same, registered mail returned. Luckily we found an agency in Alberta (AMVIC) that polices business like Trillium who took our case.

Long story short, we ended up getting paid back only 60% of our down payment last month, more than two years after our first delivery date (August 2018) and almost three years since they received our money. But only after the first check they sent us bounced hard. They stole our money and succeeded by basically waiting out the clock and trusting the a US resident wouldn't want to enter the small claims court system in Canada. And they were right. We couldn't do that, either time-wise or expense wise. So we lost money due to our trusting this company.

My impression is that Mr. Thoen will tell you whatever you want to hear to seal a deal and trust in his money juggling skills to be able to string things along until he is able to finally deliver. That doesn't always work out. We are one of several families that have been screwed by this company. Check out the threads linked above and the Better Business Bureau. Certainly don't believe a word he says about delivery date. Also, you are welcome for our subsidizing your new trailer with our lost deposit money.

I hear the trailers are nice if you manage to beat the odds and get one. We never had that chance and lost 40% of our seed money to buy a trailer. Lesson learned. I am happy to share more details privately if anyone is interested.
gtinseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 12:33 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Because there are so many Trillium offspring ( with poor reputations ), could you post a link to the Trillium company you dealt with? Or a link to the BBB report for the company you dealt with?
Old 02-02-2021, 06:48 AM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Because there are so many Trillium offspring ( with poor reputations ), could you post a link to the Trillium company you dealt with? Or a link to the BBB report for the company you dealt with?
He said “Thoen,” so that would be Outback Trailers. Pity, because they’ve actually gotten more new Trillium-style trailers on the road than any of their shorter-lived cousins. But this is not the first report of an involuntary “donation.”
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 11:41 AM   #8

Name: Glenn
Trailer: Lost part of down payment to Trillium Outback
California
Which Trillium

Team Trillium makers of Trillium Outback trailers in Calgary, Alberta.

https://www.bbb.org/ca/ab/rocky-view...stomer-reviews

The same as the links already posted in this thread.

I felt awful waiting to report this until our case had played out, but that was the advice I received. Sorry if it caused anyone harm by not knowing.

The officer I worked with at AMVIC said that it was Ok to let loose, so I figured more info is better. Word on the street is that things may not be looking good for this company. Certainly I will tell anyone considering them to run fast in the other direction.

It really shook my faith in people to gain firsthand knowledge that this kind of person exists and is able to convince hopeful and excited people like me and my wife to give them money fully knowing that they might not deliver a trailer if things don't work out.
gtinseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 08:55 AM   #9

Name: David
Trailer: seeking used Fiberglass trailer and trying to stop Outback Trailers and Joe Thoen
California
Don’t do it!

Stay away from Outback Trailers and Joost “Joe” Thoen! He will take your deposit and give you nothing in return. Please check the Alberta BBB for Outback Trailers. They have an “F” rating. It also states there’s a government action against him. I personally am in a fight to get back my $6113.38USD deposit I gave them on February 8, 2021 with a contract to deliver a complete trailer by June 7, 2021. It never happened. He has cut off all communication.
He will be the nicest guy until he gets your deposit and then he disappears and you hear nothing. He has done this to many people.
Please stay away from Outback Trailers!
BUYER BEWARE!!!!
San Diego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium