Outdoor Chairs - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2015, 06:53 AM   #1

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Outdoor Chairs

Looking for replacements for our now deceased Costco lawn chairs. Does anyone have any favorites that they find comfortable to sit in for hours? Want to avoid the ones with a cross member that digs into the back of your legs.

Bought one of these last year, plenty comfortable but pretty laid back, not conductive to long spells of reading, no arm rests either. It is warm on cool nights, which is when my DW takes it over.
Attached Thumbnails
chair.png  
Old 02-07-2015, 07:10 AM   #2

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We carry four chairs. In the beginning all our chairs were steel framed. After a couple of years we found they rusted. All our chairs are now aluminum framed. We like the lightness of these chairs.

We have two 'old time style' web chairs and two director's chairs with side tables.

Welcome to Lawn Chair USA - We paid about $25 for ours.

This is not our chair but similar in design. We paid $25 for ours.

Amazon.com : Aluminum Folding Director's Chair with Side Table by Director's Chair : Sports & Outdoors

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 07:20 AM   #3
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
I was originally skeptical when my wife suggested these folding Adirondack chairs I have since come around.
After summer of using them they are the best thing we've ever had for sitting around the campfire.
Year end clearance at Home Depot , $25 each!
Sid Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1423315089.620905.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	80272

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:32 AM   #4

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
We use Kermit chairs. They pack compact, are very supportive, work great at music festivals without leg extensions installed, and are made incredibly strong. We have had them for 4 years now, have used them hordes, and they show no signs of wear. They also are fairly compact when set up, making a good chair for adding to the end of the table inside, if needed. I just love quality gear, and though these chairs are not cheap, you get what you pay for.
Kermit Chair Company | The Original Touring Chair

Another chair I bring along most times, is the Walkstool Comfor 75XXL. It is very comfy to sit on, and can be go from a regular chair height, to a full bar stool height. I find it nice when I need the elevation for sitting. It is also great for playing guitar, as there are no arms to get in the way. They are another high quality piece of kit, light weight, strong, and very portable for carrying somewhere to use.
http://www.walkstool.com/comfort

What I don't like are those cheap folding chairs we have all seen, as many companies seem to use the same thing. They pinch my shoulders, and my butt sinks down, making them extremely uncomfortable.

I have used a few different chairs, and have found that almost any chair that is supportive of your butt, basically a firm flat surface, is most comfy over a longer period of time. Anything you sink into, just ends up hurting.

While I like sitting/laying in gravity chairs, and we have one, it almost never comes along. They are just way too bulky and heavy, and storing them is a pain. Besides, most of our chair time is spent sitting around the campfire, and they don't work good their at all. Sure are comfy though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid View Post
I was originally skeptical when my wife suggested these folding Adirondack chairs I have since come around.
After summer of using them they are the best thing we've ever had for sitting around the campfire.
Year end clearance at Home Depot , $25 each!
Sid
You would be banished from most of our campfires with these, due to the huge size. As is, we are often crowded arm-to-arm with a dozen or more chairs. How do you carry them, I sure don't think we would have any room?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 09:06 AM   #5
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
[QUOTE

You would be banished from most of our campfires with these, due to the huge size. As is, we are often crowded arm-to-arm with a dozen or more chairs. How do you carry them, I sure don't think we would have any room?[/QUOTE]

Just like you Jim we have other options for visiting. These are for us at our site.
Since they fold flat they ride quite nicely side by side on our queen sized bed with room to spare.
Sid
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 09:14 AM   #6

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid View Post
These are for us at our site.
Since they fold flat they ride quite nicely side by side on our queen sized bed with room to spare.
Sid
Gotcha.

I am a stickler for nothing big inside our trailer, on beds or on the floor, while travelling. Stuff like the BBQ, chairs, portable tables, patio mats, bikes, etc, must all have a place where I don't have to move it if when setting up camp. I know, I am weird.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-07-2015, 09:19 AM   #7

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Norm and Ginny, the director chairs are what I'm looking to replace, one of the 2 tore out at the stitching after a couple years, the cross pieces in front are what I'm hoping to get away from, at 215 lbs I tend to stretch out the fabric after a while and find the metal. We do have aluminum beach chairs and take em along when heading to Cape Cod or some such.

Sid, how big, or small, do they fold up to? How are they to get out of?

Jim
I like the Kermits, how close to the wood cross member in front do you get? I like the little stools too, but it would be more for fishing and long hikes if they fold up small enough to easily store in the packs. Unfortunately I can't see them anywhere near here.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:37 AM   #8

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Check out Strongback chairs. They look like those cheapys the Fold up narrow and go into bags. They're far better built and have lumbar support. Go to the Strongback website and have a look. They're all I have with me this winter. I have one inside my EggCamper and spend all evening in it very comfortably. I believe they have two sizes. We have the large and have used them for about 3 years. I believe we paid $80 apiece and feel they're worth it.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 10:09 AM   #9

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We have Mings Mark #36027 that we got from Amazon. No crossbar under your legs, 4 positions, arm rests and they come with a foot stool that has a little table top that sets on it. Very comfortable we think. You can try them when we show you how to set up that screen room, LOL. Sitting in it as I type this message. You can see it in this photo I took of our screen room setup. Not a chair I would carry all over a campground or to the beach, for that we have the folding Coleman chairs that have the fold up side table and back pack beach chairs. We are set up for 3 months so these Mings Mark chairs are great for us.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0355.jpg  
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 10:12 AM   #10

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Clip on reading lights don't come with the chairs. They are LED and bought them at Lowes. Have the table top version in the camper. They are 110V
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 10:29 AM   #11

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
I bring the chairs that fit the situation...and get them at yard sales or clearance. Have used vintage chairs for over 20 years (55 years old) . I use a lounge chair for reading. It's a personal choice of what works best for you.
Attached Thumbnails
VintageChairsE.jpg   StripChairsE.jpg  

MyNewChairs.jpg  
Attached Images

D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 10:39 AM   #12

Name: Joan
Trailer: currently shopping
Oregon
I have one of these and it is very comfortable:

Strongback Chairs — The most comfortable folding chair
jfocallag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 11:14 AM   #13

Florida
Bob, We've had our director's chairs for four years. We bought our 2 chairs on sale from Camping World. We always carry four chairs as an invitation to others. We own four of the aluminum webbed chairs. We appreciate light weight because we're forever carrying them to someone's site.

Ginny and I have lost a lot of weight in our travels, I've lost 60 pounds and Ginny's loss is a state secret. My goal is to lose another 15 this winter, not to "save the Chairs" but maybe to save me.

Another rule for us is that we carry no extras in the trailer... not bikes, chairs or coolers.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-07-2015, 12:01 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin00 View Post
Jim
I like the Kermits, how close to the wood cross member in front do you get? I like the little stools too, but it would be more for fishing and long hikes if they fold up small enough to easily store in the packs. Unfortunately I can't see them anywhere near here.
They are a fairly close tolerance, as is the one on the back. But, you clear the wood cross members fine. I was concerned about this too, especially when I first set up, but now after a couple hundred days of use, with absolutely no sag with the tough fabric, they still have the same clearance they did from day one, about an inch or so.

One caveat is that they do take almost a minute to set up, but we are quite used to it, and do it quite quickly. They also fold up fully assembled too, which is handy when putting to the side when not in use.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:05 PM   #15

Name: Tim
Trailer: Escape
Rhode Island
Bob,

I like the Strongback chairs too. When I was having pretty bad back spasms, it was the only chair I could use in the house!

The downside is they are longer than other "bag chairs" and don't fit in the bottom step of the 5.0 . They ride on the floor or in the back of the truck.

They might fit in your big storage compartment under the loft.

OneTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 02:02 PM   #16

Name: Tom
Trailer: 21' Escape
Tennessee
Glad I found this thread as I was looking for camp chairs. Just ordered 2 Strongback chairs.
ATHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 07:18 PM   #17

Name: Tom
Trailer: Casita
Louisiana
I use this. Yea it's big but whatever - I like it. Fits just fine by my campfire.

http://m.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-...2071404460819/
Tom Dunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:04 PM   #18

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I like the old fashioned aluminum frame web chairs. Lightweight to carry from campfire to campfire. A paper towel drys them off if dew or rains hits them. I've had back surgery. Some of the fabric/canvas chairs are comfortable for about 2 minutes... then, oh my aching back.

My very favorite though is the Lafuma!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:12 PM   #19

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Dick & Joanne
Strongback

Another vote for Strongback chairs. They are too big for convenient storage, but I have spent as much as 3 hours at a time at outdoor concerts. 30 hours over 4 days. No problem at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTim View Post
Bob,

I like the Strongback chairs too. When I was having pretty bad back spasms, it was the only chair I could use in the house!

The downside is they are longer than other "bag chairs" and don't fit in the bottom step of the 5.0 . They ride on the floor or in the back of the truck.

They might fit in your big storage compartment under the loft.

Dick & Joanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:17 PM   #20

Florida
Another advantage of the web chairs is they can be dried in seconds.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16