Outdoor rugs below doorway? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2014, 04:31 PM   #21

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We have stayed at several campgrounds that do not allow outdoor carpets or limit their size to 5'x8' or 6'x9' because if the ground cover is left in place for several days it can kill the grass and turn the camp site into a mudhole. I think the problems are more associated with large trailer and their 12'x18' ground carpet but everyone ends up suffering
I guess they have to allow for a mat that doesn't breathe, as most of the poly propylene ones have great breathing capacity, and don't hurt the grass underneath. Ours is set up where we often camp at our land on nice green grass for up to a week, and when it is taken up it has never caused any problems.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 04:52 PM   #22

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Wasn't any grass under the carpet when you visited us on Jekyll Steve. Those sites are sand covered with pine needles and oak leaves. We don't put our mat down on grass, but a tent with a floor will kill grass just as quick.
I have no personal opinion on using ground mats but in many of the campgrounds we have visited they also do not allow tents to be set up or the parking of vehicles on the grass. The tents must be set up or your vehicle parked on the trailer pad again for the same reasons
All campgrounds are different but I agree with you that a ground mat will not harm gravel ,sand or pine needles
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 05:08 PM   #23

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
It could be the growing conditions too. Here grass grows great with no irrigation, not so though in many locations where irrigation is required.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 08:38 AM   #24

Name: Lesa
Trailer: In the market!
Arizona
I found that the foldable rv rugs shred in the extreme winds in the SW winters and they are pricey. I switched over to fake green grass rugs available at Home Depot for $19.95 each. The edges fray so next month when I am back in Yuma I will have a new one edged and some grommets added by an rv shade company. These roll pretty well, wet or dry, dirty or clean. I use a big garbage bag to put it in now tho am planning a log carrier style case with velcro holders and handles. I use two very large sea shels and two one gallon water jugs for weights when not too windy. Rebar stakes or spikes and stuff washers hold things down in desert wiind
SimplyLesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 10:00 AM   #25

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We do not carry one of those large rugs. We place a small black $10 step stool in front of the door. Originally the stool could fold flat. I stiffened the stool with a couple of screws and a small board. We place a small, maybe 2 x 3 foot, rubber mat with a fiber top surface for wiping our feet. It's placed immediatelly behind a small plastic step stool.

The rubber is rugged and can easily be washed off when it gets dirty.

When we travel we place the rubber mat top side down on the throw rug just in front of the door. We place the stool, top side down, on the rubber mat. The stool seems to stay in place.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote