Outdoor rugs below doorway? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-13-2014, 07:42 PM   #1

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Outdoor rugs below doorway?

I sometimes see folks with a rug, a carpet, fake grass, or whatnot on the ground in front of their door, to keep dirt from tracking into the trailer.

If you use one, what kind is it? How do you handle it after use; wouldn't it be a dirty, messy thing to stow away? What do you use to keep it from blowing around when it's out on the ground? Do you tend to stay in the same place for several days (or weeks?), or do you put something out even if you drive to a different CG nearly every day?

I can see some benefit to having one, but with a small trailer I'm wondering about storage and all the other stuff. Just wondering about the good and bad points of these, and what kind works best.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 08:17 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
polypropylene rugs like the one below work great. they can not really get wet and they "Breathe" giving you the equivalent of a dry surface which can be hosed off or swept clean.
Ours is a "Patio Mat" brand. We bought a 9X12 then cut it in half, but after ten years of no wear we see that we will likely never need the second half.
The one below is 6X9 which would work for most fiberglass rvs.
We have a flat bag to carry it in which is good for breaking camp in sandy, wet or dirty conditions. we can then just sweep it off later when conditions allow.
the one below is offered in several colors.

RV Trailer Patio Beach Camping Reversible Outdoor Mat 6x9 camper Rug Grass New | eBay
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 08:30 PM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
[QUOTE=Mike Magee;491962]I sometimes see folks with a rug, a carpet, fake grass, or whatnot on the ground in front of their door, to keep dirt from tracking into the trailer.

I use a 6' x 12' piece of indoor/outdoor carpet. I have grommets around the edges and use large 10" nails with fender washers to hold it down. I roll it up and it goes in the back of the truck. A tube mounted under the trailer would be better. I also use an eggcrate type of fiberglass grate with 1" square spacing, 3' x4' x 1 1/2" over all that works better for desert trips.
It depends where I'm going for which one I take and a few times neither go.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 08:52 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We have the same as Floyd, different color. Use it when we are set up for at least 3 days with whatever camper we are using at the time, teardrop, popup, Uhaul, or Casita. We usually also put another doormat on it, either fake grass type or we have one made from old poly rope that fishermen used and is now outlawed. We have another of the patio mats, 9 X 12, that we use as the floor in our screen room. They fold up accordion style to fit in the bag that comes with them. If they are dirty we will hang them over the fence at home and hose them off at let them stay there until dry. ebay seemed to have the best price.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 08:58 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'm like Floyd too! 9x12 size. A couple of features because it's like an accordion, I can fold 1/3 under to make it 6x12. And it's heavy enough I've never had to stake it down. I purchased a canvas artifical christmas tree bag at the end of the last season for $4.99 and it fits great. I usually only use it when camped in one spot for 3 days or longer, but one thing I'm never without is a "scratchy" phony grass welcome mat. THAT really keeps the dirt, sticks and crud out of Ten Forward (along with a scratchy carpet wrapped around the step).
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:01 PM   #6

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Mike,

I built a step that sits below the entry door. It has a top that is hinged so I can put my fake grass 6 x 9 in it. I also store the hold down nails, a hammer, kneeling pad and other misc. little items.

The fake grass works fine for me. If it gets wet it still folds easily and air dry's quickly. I have a couple of other smaller fake grasses that I use for over nighting.

I do have a maybe 18" x 24" non-porius door mat that I often put on top of the fake grass in front of the step.
Attached Thumbnails
2010-8-12 Clarks Fork site 18 B Hiway 108 CA #2.JPG   step storage box #1.JPG  

step storage box #2.JPG  
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:10 PM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I use one much the same as what Floyd has linked to. I only put it out if I am staying in a place for more than a night. Have had if for about 5 years and no signs or wear. Picked it up at Walmart for about $30.

I like to use it when camping in a spot with lots of dirt and the weather is poor. Helps a lot in keeping the dirt/mud from being tracked into the trailer. Also keeps sand out of the trailer when camping in the desert. As its plastic it doesnt hold water and if the underside gets really dirty I just brush the worst of it off with a broom before rolling it up. I made a bag for mine out of cheap rip stop nylon that I roll it up and store it in the trailer on floor under the kitchen cabinet overhang in my Scamp. That way if it is dirty or wet when put away it doesnt get the floor of the trailer dirty. You can't even see it there. If its gotten really dirty I just take the hose to it. Drys real fast. Find though that the dirt doesnt really stick to it and once dry it just falls off so I actually don't need to take the hose to it all that often. Usually do give it a good cleaning in the driveway before putting it away for the winter though.

If its windy I just find a few rocks to put down on the edges.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:18 PM   #8

New York
Clever idea on the step Joy. I made one about that size but notched sides so it sets better on the ground. When traveling it sets just inside the door, upside down, and holds a couple stabilizer screw type jacks, wheel chocks, fire extinguisher, boards, stabilizer handle and my knee pad that is just like yours. My old knees don't like hard ground while I'm leveling the trailer.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:24 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Like Floyd we use the same 9x12 version with our Casita and a smaller 6x9 version with the Boler. These sweep off easily, don't hold water and dry quickly.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 10:27 PM   #10

Trailer: 2007 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
We have one of those folding mats too but most of the time we don't put it out...especially if only staying for a day or two. But we had 4 extra Dri-deck tiles so we made a 2' x 2' mat and ALWAYS put it out. We just toss it in the trailer when traveling. It really helps keep some of the shoe debri out of the trailer. We even put it out after we get home and park the trailer so that our coming and going while we pack and unpack won't track pebbles and gravel in.
Fran L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 10:20 AM   #11

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Since my original experience was putting a mat down for a one-day agility trial, it doesn't bother me at all to put it out for just an overnight. It keeps the dogs from lying in the dirt (or digging) and helps keep dirt out of the trailer. If it gets dirty I'm pretty lazy so I lay it out at home in the rain and let it get clean (tends to get dirty only in muddy weather, though, otherwise it shakes out pretty well.) I have two- one 9 x 6 and one about 9 x 12, but usually take the larger one.

I have friends who routinely use one as an outdoor carpet on their deck. They replace it every few years as it will start to shred after too much UV exposure.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 07:40 PM   #12

Name: Janice & Rick
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Nova Scotia
Registry
Joy, I really like the 'compartment' step !! We need to build a new one and am going to incorporate that idea !!
JRTrillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 07:57 PM   #13

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
We purchased one of the 6 x 9 mats at camping world almost 8 years ago for $19. it was an end-of-season special in-store and we were quick to snap it up. it has been fabulous. each corner has a loop to use to secure it--we use 8' spikes with washers....they work very well. like the others have said, these mats clean readily, fold quickly and we store ours in a fabric bag.
it's amazing how much dirt and sand it keeps from entering our trailer. plus, it's just
great to have a spot to leave our shoes on it under our awning.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 08:36 PM   #14

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Some interesting ideas here, thanks. The mat on ebay does look nice.

Having some scratchy carpet or fake grass on the step seems like a no-brainer... every RV should come with this!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 08:14 AM   #15

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Joy, I like your box That is a great idea to store a few tools in like a hatchet/sledge etc. Good Job!

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 10:20 AM   #16

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I too use a vinyl coated polyester mat, a Dometic Patty O'Mat. Ours is 7'x12', which fits the exact footprint our awning covers. These things are VERY tough. We had a smaller one with our previous trailer, which is still going strong with the new owner (my brother), after 15 years or so.

We also have a thin horsehair mat that sits right at the door should we need to wipe our shoes, which we always wear inside, other than bedtime, or should they be real muddy for some reason.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 03:10 PM   #17

Name: Tom
Trailer: Casita
Louisiana
We have one of those polypropylene deals also. Got it from QVC but I've seen them at Camping World also. We also used the outdoor green carpet - Home Depot sells remnants. It rained once when we had the poly stuff on top of sandy dirt. When the dirt (mud) filtered through to the top of the carpet I was sure we had ourselves a hot mess. But once the thing dried out some I was able to just sweep the dirt off. A little dust stain remained but no big deal. As I remember the outdoor carpet was messier because the rubber-ish backing didn't allow the wetness underneath to evaporate.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Tom Dunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 03:49 PM   #18

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We have stayed at several campgrounds that do not allow outdoor carpets or limit their size to 5'x8' or 6'x9' because if the ground cover is left in place for several days it can kill the grass and turn the camp site into a mudhole. I think the problems are more associated with large trailer and their 12'x18' ground carpet but everyone ends up suffering
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 04:09 PM   #19

New York
Wasn't any grass under the carpet when you visited us on Jekyll Steve. Those sites are sand covered with pine needles and oak leaves. We don't put our mat down on grass, but a tent with a floor will kill grass just as quick.
Old 11-16-2014, 04:09 PM   #20

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Being a, mostly, minimalist "glamper" I LOVE my "Clean Step Mat" (As Seen on TV). It comes in XL 24" x 36" or 18" x 28". Clean Step Mats - BedBathandBeyond.com For my 13' Scamp I simply cut the smaller doormat into two pieces. One in placed on the ground and the other is placed just inside the door. In addition, I have a small decorative kitchen rug in the interior. The "Clean Step Mat" is one product that really lives up to it's name. It advertises these features:
  • Traps dirt & water instantly!
  • Keeps floors clean & dry
  • Non-slip backing
  • Machine washable
What more would you want from a doormat? (OK, maybe something more beautiful for the glamper in me).

Just today I purchased 3 more of these rugs for my home and the home of my mother. We've had a 3 year drought in California and I'm hoping the skies open up soon! I'll be ready.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote